U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM

20,441 posts, read 15,801,107 times

Advertisements

This thread is a reply to Post #238 of the following thread --> No one can be saved by trying to keep the Law

How sad it is that so many believers think that they can lose their eternal salvation. There are passages which because they are misunderstood cause many to think that eternal salvation can be lost. But Scripture does not contradict Scripture. The believer can not be caused to lose his salvation, nor can he choose to walk away from his salvation. Once you have been saved through faith alone in Christ alone you are eternally saved and it is irreversible.

Believer in Jesus Christ, Here is your eternal security.

***Romans 11:29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

God does not revoke what He has given or whom He has chosen. Both Israel and the church have their election. Both are called.

In Romans, as in all of his epistles, Paul was addressing the church - believers in Jesus Christ during the church-age. In Rom 1:6 Paul told believers that they are the called of God.

Romans 1:6 'among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ; 7] to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as Saints; Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. .

All Christians are saints. That is, all Christians are positionally ''set apart'' unto God.

Now in Romans 11:29 Paul stated that God does not change His mind regarding His call. Even though Israel is currently in a state of unbelief, God has not forsaken her.

***Romans 11:29 'for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

Again, both Israel and the church are called - are elected.

Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29] For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren; 30] and whom he predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

33] Who will bring a charge against God's elect (called)? God is the one who justifies; 34] who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. 35] Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

38] For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Believer in Jesus Christ, you are called. You are elected. Your calling is irrevocable.

The gifts of God are irrevocable. Eternal life is a free gift and is irrevocable.

Romans 6:23 'For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Your eternal salvation and your calling are irrevocable.

And there is no Scripture which can contradict this.

You as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ cannot lose or walk away from your eternal salvation. It is absolutely impossible.

ONCE SAVED, ALWAYS SAVED!!!

Last edited by Mike555; 02-27-2012 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 AM

30,411 posts, read 20,155,655 times
Mike

If you only understood that the message of salvation is not about being eternally secure, but having Life and Life more abundantly.

Now is the day of Salvation for the believer in the salvation of God.

Let us boldly approach the throne of grace and find help and His Salvation today.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,920,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
This thread is a reply to Post #238 of the following thread --> No one can be saved by trying to keep the Law

How sad it is that so many believers think that they can lose their eternal salvation. There are passages which because they are misunderstood cause many to think that eternal salvation can be lost. But Scripture does not contradict Scripture. The believer can not be caused to lose his salvation, nor can he choose to walk away from his salvation. Once you have been saved through faith alone in Christ alone you are eternally saved and it is irreversible.

Believer in Jesus Christ, Here is your eternal security.

***Romans 11:29 For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

God does not revoke what He has given or whom He has chosen. Both Israel and the church have their election. Both are called.

In Romans, as in all of his epistles, Paul was addressing the church - believers in Jesus Christ during the church-age. In Rom 1:6 Paul told believers that they are the called of God.

Romans 1:6 'among whom you also are the called of Jesus Christ; 7] to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as Saints; Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. .

All Christians are saints. That is, all Christians are positionally ''set apart'' unto God.

Now in Romans 11:29 Paul stated that God does not change His mind regarding His call. Even though Israel is currently in a state of unbelief, God has not forsaken her.

Again, both Israel and the church are called - are elected.

Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29] For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the first-born among many brethren; 30] and whom he predestined, these He also called; and whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

33] Who will bring a charge against God's elect (called)? God is the one who justifies; 34] who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is he who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us. 35] Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

38] For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Believer in Jesus Christ, you are called. You are elected. Your calling is irrevocable.

The gifts of God are irrevocable. Eternal life is a free gift and is irrevocable.

Romans 6:23 'For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Your eternal salvation and your calling are irrevocable.

And there is no Scripture which can contradict this.

You as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ cannot lose or walk away from your eternal salvation. It is absolutely impossible.

ONCE SAVED, ALWAYS SAVED!!!

While I do believe in the eternal security of the believer being "sealed" by the Spirit of God, I believe that the concept of Repentance - Metanoia (Change of Mind) - is overlooked by many. Eternal Security is the "Helmet of Salvation" that we need to implement when on enemy turf and slip. It's not something that should justify us remaining on enemy turf. We are called to be overcomers being the salt of the earth. God wants a new creation out of us that produces fruit. On the flip side, he does not want Thorns and Briers. Plenty of Scriptures to support this.

The greatest testimony for Christianity is the Changed life. The greatest testimony against Christianity is the absence of a Changed life. It is one of the reasons I wasn't a Christian earlier in life. People need to witness how God transforms our person. That's really what we're here for.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Mike

If you only understood that the message of salvation is not about being eternally secure, but having Life and Life more abundantly.

Now is the day of Salvation for the believer in the salvation of God.

Let us boldly approach the throne of grace and find help and His Salvation today.
It is both. This thread is directed toward those who erroneously think that they can lose their eternal salvation having once believed on Jesus Christ.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:16 AM

661 posts, read 489,577 times
Hi Mike, can you let me know what you mean by "believed on Jesus Christ"?

Do you mean believing in the facts of the gospel? Trusting in Jesus (that He paid the penalty for your sin?). What exactly does that mean when you say it?

Also, if someone once believed on Jesus Christ, and then after several years for instance no longer believes on Him (however you define that), do they remain eternally secure by virtual of their initial belief? Thanks for the clarification on your viewpoint.

Blessings
Stephanie

Old 02-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
While I do believe in the eternal security of the believer being "sealed" by the Spirit of God, I believe that the concept of Repentance - Metanoia (Change of Mind) - is overlooked by many. Eternal Security is the "Helmet of Salvation" that we need to implement when on enemy turf and slip. It's not something that should justify us remaining on enemy turf. We are called to be overcomers being the salt of the earth. God wants a new creation out of us that produces fruit. On the flip side, he does not want Thorns and Briers. Plenty of Scriptures to support this.

The greatest testimony for Christianity is the Changed life. The greatest testimony against Christianity is the absence of a Changed life. It is one of the reasons I wasn't a Christian earlier in life. People need to witness how God transforms our person. That's really what we're here for.
Yes, but the point is that no matter what the believer does with his spiritual life after salvation, he cannot lose his eternal salvation.

I am not addressing the fact that the believer is to obey Christ as a believer. Of course he is.

But too many people think that if they don't obey the commands of Christ, that they forfeit their eternal life. And that is not true.

I do not want to turn this thread into what the believer is supposed to do after salvation.

My purpose here is strictly to show that once a person has been saved through faith alone in Christ alone, he is saved forever regardless of how he lives his life after having been saved.

I'll put it like this. My purpose on this thread is to assure the believer that he does not have to be afraid of losing his salvation. That he doesn't have to worry that he must tow the line or be lost.

The believer should obey God out of love. Not out of fear that God will revoke His free gift of eternal life to the believer because of disobedience on his part.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Some more important passages

Sealed by the Holy Spirit

John 14:16
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Ephesians 4:30
And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

John 10:27-29

27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

28And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

29My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

While we are Saved from Perdition in Christ, we can be a "Cast Away" for unfaithfulness.

Luke 9:25
For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

1 Corinthians 9:26-27
26I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

27But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

We have no idea what the gulf is between being a "co-Heir" with Christ and being a "cast away". The Lord suggests in Luke 9:25 that losing oneself is different than being a cast away. Paul, who gave us the mystery of Salvation through faith in his epistles wrote the doctrine of "Born-again" eternal security, said himself he could be a "cast away."

Old 02-27-2012, 11:37 AM

11,825 posts, read 9,875,770 times
Quote:
It is both. This thread is directed toward those who erroneously think that they can lose their eternal salvation having once believed on Jesus Christ.
It is only erroneous if you reject
"he who stands firm to the end will be saved" Matthew 24:13

And you, my son Solomon,...If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever." 1 Chronicles 28:9

Solomon did not stand firm to the end.

OSAS theology is a cousin of a limited UR theology. The arguments for OSAS mimic UR for it makes certain verses "more truthful" than another.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
The believer should obey God out of love.
Amen! God gave us the Spirit of love not Fear.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Obedience is the born-again response from being saved not merit for being saved. All these debates come down to confusing Cause and Effect. Many equate the Eternal Security as a license to sin promoting Rebellion. In my experience, it's been exactly the opposite. Knowing the eternal security and Liberty we have in Christ progressing on to Spiritual maturity.

God gives us a new heart when Born-Again.

Ezekiel 36:26
A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

Christians are a new Creature in the new birth

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

The old ways no longer are gratifying.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
Hi Mike, can you let me know what you mean by "believed on Jesus Christ"?

Do you mean believing in the facts of the gospel? Trusting in Jesus (that He paid the penalty for your sin?). What exactly does that mean when you say it?

Also, if someone once believed on Jesus Christ, and then after several years for instance no longer believes on Him (however you define that), do they remain eternally secure by virtual of their initial belief? Thanks for the clarification on your viewpoint.

Blessings
Stephanie
To believe on Jesus Christ means to believe the Gospel message that Jesus Christ is the Son of God (that He is God), and that He came into the world as a member of the human race and died for YOU personally, and that He rose again. And understanding that, that you are trusting completely in Christ for your salvation.

That, and only that results in eternal life which can never be revoked.

Once you have believed on Jesus Christ, you have eternal life forever even if you renounce Him, even if you come to a point where you no longer believe in Him.

Your continued salvation does not depend on you, just as your initial salvation does not depend on you. It depends entirely on Jesus Christ. You receive or take hold of the free gift of eternal life simply by making a one time decision to trust in Jesus Christ based on His completed work on the Cross on your behalf.

That is grace. Grace, being motivated by God's love, is the policy of the Justice of God, and is all that God is free to do for man based on the finished and completed work of Jesus Christ on the cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or