Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 06:06 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,600 times

Advertisements

I thought it could be very beneficial to have a thread that contains
meditations on the cross. Hopefully it can remain a thread where people
post their own or other meditations on the Cross. I have spent many
wonderful hours meditating on the meaning of the cross. It is amazing the
manifold wisdom and glorious things that can come from such meditations.
I read this one first thing this morning.

ELWIN ROACH: Crucifying self has a noble ring to the carnal mind, but please, what man has ever crucified himself? It is simply not done.

We are told by Jesus to take up our cross and follow Him, and this we should do—for in doing so, we do not forsake the cross.

Taking up our cross, however, and hanging upon it are two different things. Taking it up is a response to what we are compelled to do, while hanging upon it is the result of what others or circumstances have done to us.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 04:24 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
Quote:
Taking up our cross, however, and hanging upon it are two different things. Taking it up is a response to what we are compelled to do, while hanging upon it is the result of what others or circumstances have done to us.

Thank you for sharing. God bless and peace.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:28 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Heartsong, usually when people talk about taking up their cross, they mean carrying or enduring a burden. But I remember reading once that the greek word translated "take up" in those passages could have the connotation of pulling up an anchor in order to set sail. In other words, it wouldn't be about picking up a burden, but rather of freeing oneself from it. That really struck me as a beautiful illustration of what it means to experience the love of God, and to learn to love ourselves and others in the Spirit of Christ.

Believing that God loves us and isn't holding anything against us allows us to draw up that heavy anchor of guilt and self-loathing, or whatever else it is that is tying us down to an "earthy"/old Adam view of ourselves and others, and allows us to begin to abide in the "heavenly places" of LOVE.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Does it matter what you call it? If you prefer to think of it as a stake, then do so. Or, if you want to just meditate on what it means to airo (take up) your stauros, that works too.
Thanks, Pleroo. That is very close to what I'd like to have answered to that question. Some prefer to call it a tree. It is the symbolic meaning of Christ's and our suffering that I intend when I say "meditate on the cross".

Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Heartsong, usually when people talk about taking up their cross, they mean carrying or enduring a burden. But I remember reading once that the greek word translated "take up" in those passages could have the connotation of pulling up an anchor in order to set sail. In other words, it wouldn't be about picking up a burden, but rather of freeing oneself from it. That really struck me as a beautiful illustration of what it means to experience the love of God, and to learn to love ourselves and others in the Spirit of Christ.

Believing that God loves us and isn't holding anything against us allows us to draw up that heavy anchor of guilt and self-loathing, or whatever else it is that is tying us down to an "earthy"/old Adam view of ourselves and others, and allows us to begin to abide in the "heavenly places" of LOVE.
Thank you Pleroo. I never thought about it that way "take up" as in putting the anchor in your boat - that is quite a lovely thought. I don't know greek at all so I appreciate those who do translate. And it very well may be the correct meaning. So many things burden us - from the smallest to the greatest. The smallest being the everyday things that we must do "by the sweat of our brow for survival" to the greatest "enduring the pain that others either wittingly or unwittingly put upon us". We need a constant in-flow of grace in order to show grace consistently in the face of all levels of suffering. Discussing these things is so helpful to me and a privilege to hear from you and all who share their deep spiritual meditations.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:50 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Thank you Pleroo. I never thought about it that way "take up" as in putting the anchor in your boat - that is quite a lovely thought. I don't know greek at all so I appreciate those who do translate. And it very well may be the correct meaning. So many things burden us - from the smallest to the greatest. The smallest being the everyday things that we must do "by the sweat of our brow for survival" to the greatest "enduring the pain that others either wittingly or unwittingly put upon us". We need a constant in-flow of grace in order to show grace consistently in the face of all levels of suffering. Discussing these things is so helpful to me and a privilege to hear from you and all who share their deep spiritual meditations.
I would stake my life on it; laying it down for that of others.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:03 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,932,822 times
- Nice topic, I've pondered this as well.

I make sure to take-up my own cross; and not someone else's.

For as even with Christ;
there're those who'd cause me to take-up another's cross.

But as Christ:
my cross is given to me by God.

So I obey the command of Christ to take-up my own cross.
As God gives me the reason of use and strength to carry it.
To the glory of God, not man.

So I expect others who say they obey Him,
to be able do the same with their cross.

If they can't, then maybe it's not the cross God gave them
that they want help with carrying after all.

I always expect the desire of some to crucify me on my cross.
So it's fultile crying out about it.
If the cross I carry is from God it will prove it's purpose.
And not the purpose of men to prove them self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity