Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:50 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,407 times

Advertisements

One thing to consider is that it truly is nothing abnormal. keep in mind that we really understand very little about the human brain and its potential. It could very well be that we have all kinds of things which we are capable of and have no clue about. God made us in his image, so it is not to hard to believe that there is more to us that we know and understand as we can't even really comprehend God beyond a basic rudimentary level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 06:00 PM

105 posts, read 438,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Okay, let's see - where to start.....

My mom has reportedly seen herself doing something before it actually happened. And the nature of what actually HAPPENED wasn't something that she would have been able to plan or make happen. It just happened the way it happened. (Does that make sense? ) For example, when she was in her second marriage (an emotionally and verbally abusive one), one night she said she was in an argument with her husband, and then she literally saw, as a vision (in front of her face), herself going over to the phone and calling the police. It wasn't something she actually DID at the time she saw this happening. She just saw it. I don't know all the details about the entire vision. But in a later argument with him, she actually went over to the phone and called the police, and she said it happened EXACTLY as she had seen it happen in her vision. The weird thing about this, too, is that I had previously "seen" something myself involving her husband. I didn't see it with my eyes open, but I was awake and saw it in my mind, as if it was an image flashing on the back of the inside of my forehead. It was clear and vivid. At the time it happened, she and her husband were living in Phoenix, and what I saw was her husband standing on their balcony. I don't recall exactly where my mom was...maybe down in the parking lot below the balcony, I don't know....but as I looked up at him, I started out at his feet and then moved my eyes up toward his face. When I saw his face, it looked demonic. It was freaky. I immediately opened my eyes to get rid of what I was seeing.

I, personally, have had many experiences in which I would "think" about something - as if it was a passing thought that came through my mind - and then immediately dismiss it as something that was "unlikely to happen." The thought would leave my mind about as quickly as it entered, and I wouldn't think about it anymore. And then several days later, what I thought about would actually happen. It has happened with a lot of different things. Several times it involved plane crashes, other times it was earthquakes, and then various other things like trains derailing, or tornadoes striking somewhere. Just different things. And when these thoughts would hit me, they just didn't impact me at the time they hit. I don't know how else to explain it. I also wouldn't have any details about anything - no date, no location - nothing. It's simply as if (this is just an example) someone came up to me, whispered in my ear "chocolate ice cream falling out of a truck" and then kept on walking past me. I wouldn't think anything more about it because the nature of it was such that I would dismiss it as being unlikely to happen. And then several days later, you'd hear a news report about chocolate ice cream falling out of a truck.

The odd thing now is that I'm trying to pay attention to them, and when something hits me, I try to focus on it and ask God to not allow it to happen. And then it doesn't. But there are still times when I DO dismiss something, and then it happens. So I don't know. It's weird. But that's what I meant by people having some sort of ability to have premonitions. I know there are other people who HAVE had significant premonitions, and it's not something they actively engage in, as if they are practicing some form of divination. They just happen. I recently watched a show about a man who had a dream in the late 70s about a plane crashing. Period. He kept having the same dream about a plane taking off and then flipping over and crashing. Well, this actually happened later at O'Hare Airport in Chicago in 1979. The guy had ACTUALLY seen this in his dream, but he was powerless to do anything about it because he didn't know WHEN it would happen, or WHERE.

How do you explain such things?
I have to say that when I "see" things theyare going to happen, or sometimes have all ready happened. So, no WCRob you make sense.

I feel that people that have this gift, are special. They are not the devil, or a cult. I have read some on this as I do find it interesting, not just because at times that I know something is going to happen or has happened, it because (my opinion only) that for one reason or another, God has put these people here on earth. Are they angels? They could be. No one knows for sure.

As for seeing or feeling a loved one that has passed. The answer to that is yes. I have felt my mom, and grandparents around me. My younger brother and I have had disagreements on this, and I accept his opinion as he does mine.

Yes, there are people out there who will fake telling you something that is going to happen, for one reason money. I am not talking about them, I am saying that for some reason and we don't know why that there are certain ones on this earth who have this gift, and only God knows why. This is my opinion and feelings on this.

This is a topic that is hard to explain, because so many people do not believe in it. So that being said I hope that I have tried to explain myself.

Last edited by silverhaired51; 09-09-2007 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: left some words out and forgot some.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 PM

204 posts, read 507,984 times
Well I have had two weird sorts of experiences. I’ll tell you about the first one:

Well I had an outer body experience a month or so ago. I don’t know what else to call it.

I had been praying to God for a long long time to please if possible show me a glimpse of heaven and what it looks like. I really wanted to see how beautiful heaven is. And I had been studying how various people had taken trips into heaven like John and Paul. So I began to ask God if I could see heaven.

One night when I was dozing off to sleep I suddenly felt this weird feeling of being lifted off the bed. I thought I was only dreaming, however I felt myself being pulled toward the ceiling. Then I looked back toward my bed and saw ME SLEEPING. It was the weirdest feeling ever. When I saw me sleeping I began to panic and was frantically trying to get back toward my body. I keep feeling myself (its like it was just my spirit that was rising of the bed) rising higher and higher toward the ceiling.

I was terrified. I began to think thoughts of “what if I can’t ever get back in my body”. But I never thought I was dead. I knew that my body was still alive because I could see it sleeping and breathing in and out. I just couldn’t understand what I was doing OUT of my body. So then I began to panic I cried out (although there was no audible voice) to “please please stop, I’m scared”. It’s like I thought that in my mind. And then IMMEDIATELY I stopped ascending toward the ceiling and sort of stopped in mid air. Then I remember saying “I’m scared I want to go back, please send me back” and then next thing I knew I woke up and gasped and screamed because I just woke up and remembered what happened. I was back in my body.

Its like I knew that it was God because I said “please send me back”. I knew someone was in control.

The whole time that happened though…I didn’t feel like anything bad or terrible was going to happen to me. I knew I wasn’t going to be harmed. I was just in shock of being out of my body and seeing me lying down asleep.

Nothing like that has EVER happened to me before. I have read of others having out of body experiences, but It has always been a NDE (Near Death Experience). I wasn’t dying, and I KNEW I wasn’t dying. I was just being carried away. And it was all happening so fast. The whole thing seemed like it took maybe under a minute once I woke up.

Maybe that was God about to show me a glimpse into heaven, but I was too afraid to go
Well as they say be careful what you wish for…you just might get it

Needless to say I couldn’t sleep right for a good two weeks after that.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:33 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
I understand what you mean.

Some science fiction fans who believe in time travel might say time is like a ribbon, or VCR tape, upon which all events - past, present and future - have already been recorded, and that tape or ribbon is fluttering about freely in the realm of the universe in a way we don't really comprehend. They might say we are experiencing different points in time where one point along the "ribbon" of time has intersected with a different point on that same ribbon.

Then again, that's a pretty far out idea, huh? Sounds like something out of a movie! It could be something else! Besides, why would people only be experiencing images of things to come, instead of what happened in the past? Heck, I don't know. I just know things have happened, and it makes me wonder what it's all about.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:43 PM

292 posts, read 933,946 times
Smile I believe

Well this subject has come up before and any one that's read my posts knows how I feel about it. YOUR NOT NUTS!
There are many that haven't as yet experienced such things and so they do not believe. I BELIEVE. I have had more experiences then I can even count!
One of the first ones I can remember is a dream I had. I dreamt a man came into my kitchen with intent to harm the children I was at the time caring for. But I made him leave. THE VERY NEXT DAY a man walks into my kitchen! A stranger. He didn't knock on the door but just walked on in. My antena was up due to the dream. The man claimed he was looking for my elderly neighboy he claimed to have an appointment with. When she came home I ran over and told her. She had been at the senior citizens center where the chief of police was warning the elderly about a man scamming them for insurance money. Next day the man went back to her house and was she ever ready! The man was the one the chief was talking about.
I believe dreams and visions are spiritual gifts. It is more common then you know.
I have also known some that saw things before they happened.
Why does God do these things? I believe for the same reason He performed miracles when he walked this earth...so that we will believe.
Jean

Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralgalnebraska View Post
Why does God do these things? I believe for the same reason He performed miracles when he walked this earth...so that we will believe.
Jean
Hmmm. That's an interesting point I never thought about.

Thanks for sharing that story, Jean.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:53 AM

Post God increases our faith

Amen!

Old 09-12-2007, 02:49 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I understand what you mean.

Some science fiction fans who believe in time travel might say time is like a ribbon, or VCR tape, upon which all events - past, present and future - have already been recorded, and that tape or ribbon is fluttering about freely in the realm of the universe in a way we don't really comprehend. They might say we are experiencing different points in time where one point along the "ribbon" of time has intersected with a different point on that same ribbon.

Then again, that's a pretty far out idea, huh? Sounds like something out of a movie! It could be something else! Besides, why would people only be experiencing images of things to come, instead of what happened in the past? Heck, I don't know. I just know things have happened, and it makes me wonder what it's all about.
Well sometimes it is a warning in some way and can be about you, a family, friend or someone that you have never met and you may be in a place and have not thought about it in a long time and something will trigger that and when it happens it is your choice to act on it or not.
Sometimes it is something that is happening now, and may show how to deal with it. I also agree that God gives gifts like this to people although there is allot of people who believe it is evil. Which blows me away. Because if it is not of malicious intent and only to help how is that evil?

Old 09-12-2007, 02:59 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Well sometimes it is a warning in some way and can be about you, a family, friend or someone that you have never met and you may be in a place and have not thought about it in a long time and something will trigger that and when it happens it is your choice to act on it or not.
Sometimes it is something that is happening now, and may show how to deal with it. I also agree that God gives gifts like this to people although there is allot of people who believe it is evil. Which blows me away. Because if it is not of malicious intent and only to help how is that evil?
I think there is some caution in people's minds because scripture seems pretty clear that there are two sources of supernatural power- one from God and one from Satan. As Christians, we are warned to steer clear of power or abilities from the demonic realm such as fortune-telling, etc. I think people are just trying to be careful about from what source this information is coming from. Does that make sense?

Last edited by kaykay; 09-12-2007 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-12-2007, 04:14 PM

Post Sometimes we are shown things so we know how to pray

When I first starting experiencing seeing or knowing things for/about people I took this to my then mentor. She explained it was not to just know things about people but to know how to pray for them.
People with these sort of giftings are called "Intercessors."

God bless!
Jean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity