U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 05:34 PM

3,163 posts, read 5,820,641 times

Advertisements

It can be difficult to tell the difference sometimes from a heaven sent message and one from some other "benefactor" simply because the opposition is intending to deceive us into following an incorrect path. While the gift may seem benevolent or simply harmless, and is often interesting, we must constantly be on guard against ill intent toward us.

The only advice I could offer in these cases is to pray without ceasing. God may be sending you information or warnings, or he may not. Only you and God can determine that. Be open with yourself and examine both the gift and your feelings about it. If you see yourself "enjoying" it perhaps a bit too much, then I would be worried that it may be intended for that purpose. God's gifts have not usually brought warm fuzzies to their recipients from what I have read. They are usually frot with trouble and hardship. I guess to ensure that the receiver does not take these gifts as a sign of their own importance, but instead recognize God's work in the matter.

Your experiences may be angelic warning or God's hand in protecting you, or they might be scams by other forces to lower your defenses to his manipulations. Examine things carefully with all of your insights and proceed accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 08:21 PM

12,547 posts, read 12,068,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralgalnebraska View Post
When I first starting experiencing seeing or knowing things for/about people I took this to my then mentor. She explained it was not to just know things about people but to know how to pray for them.
People with these sort of giftings are called "Intercessors."

God bless!
Jean
Interesting because I've never heard that term before.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:33 PM

12,547 posts, read 12,068,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
It can be difficult to tell the difference sometimes from a heaven sent message and one from some other "benefactor" simply because the opposition is intending to deceive us into following an incorrect path. While the gift may seem benevolent or simply harmless, and is often interesting, we must constantly be on guard against ill intent toward us.

The only advice I could offer in these cases is to pray without ceasing. God may be sending you information or warnings, or he may not. Only you and God can determine that. Be open with yourself and examine both the gift and your feelings about it. If you see yourself "enjoying" it perhaps a bit too much, then I would be worried that it may be intended for that purpose. God's gifts have not usually brought warm fuzzies to their recipients from what I have read. They are usually frot with trouble and hardship. I guess to ensure that the receiver does not take these gifts as a sign of their own importance, but instead recognize God's work in the matter.

Your experiences may be angelic warning or God's hand in protecting you, or they might be scams by other forces to lower your defenses to his manipulations. Examine things carefully with all of your insights and proceed accordingly.
Everyone has it to one point or another.
The gut feeling. The hair that stands up on the back of your neck. The instant dislike of someone or a place without knowing why. These are all protective triggers.
But I also think that if you are not a strong soul dark forces could interject for sure.
I dont understand the sentence the receiver does not take these gifts as a sign of their own importance.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:04 PM

1,501 posts, read 3,985,047 times
Wouldn't doubt any of the above experiences for one moment.
Plus, consider how animals sense things hours before they happen. God only knows just how many gifts and ESPs are abundant in humans.
Thanks, Ruralgalnebraska for that tidbit! Never knew that.

I go by the old saying: Don't ridicule something which you do not understand. (And I certainly understand this topic! :>)

Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 PM

1,117 posts, read 3,227,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Here's my question: Do you think it's possible for people to have some sort of God-given "ability" or "gift" that would somehow enable them to "do" something, or cause something to happen, without any real active involvement in trying to "use" that ability?

For example, do you think it's possible that a person could have some sort of "something" in their bodies.....oh, I don't know - we'll just call it an electromagnetic force of some sort....that would manipulate how storms and other weather events occurred in their vicinity? Maybe for some unknown reason, thunderstorms and blizzards get dissipated or diverted away from the location where this person is. The person doesn't do anything in any sort of way to cause this to happen, but yet it keeps happening over and over wherever they are.

Another example....people seem to be able to "see" things happening, or have some sort of premonition about something, but there are so few details about it that they really can't actively "do" anything to prevent that thing from happening. Like a person might "see" a flood washing through a village - whether as a vision in front of their face, or simply in their "mind's eye". But that's it. They have no idea where it might be, WHEN it might take place, or anything of the sort. They just "see" it happening before it actually happens. So why would that be? If it is some sort of God-given ability, what would be the point?

Do you think there could be those sorts of abilities or "gifts" which are bestowed upon people by God - for whatever reason?

If this is too weird, just chalk it up to me being in a "mood" today. You can say to yourself "Oh brother, what has Rob been drinking today!" LOL!
I don't think this is a weird question at all - its a great question WCRob! I don't know if this is in the realm of what you are asking but, for some reason, street lights go out when I pass under them. My husband has witnessed this for years - I just laugh now and say, "There goes another one!" Lately, dark lights have been turning ON! Interesting turn of events...

Not only have I had out-of-body experiences, intuition and experiences from those who have passed-on throughout my entire life, but so has my mother, my daughters, my aunt and my grandmother. We are all very spiritual, very connected to God and know that this is where it comes from.

There is a reason why this ability is called the 'sixth sense.' It is a natural ability that human beings have based on our original survival requirements. Fear closes it up, acceptance keeps it flowing. It is God-given, and the more I pray and stay in touch with my God the stronger these abilities are.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:06 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,529,339 times
Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Isaiah 8:19 "So why are you trying to find out the future by consulting medium and psychics, do not listen to their whisperings and mutterings. Can the living find out the future from the dead? Why not ask your God".

Leviticus 20:"If any among the people are unfaithful by consulting and following medium or psychics I will turn against them and cut them off from the community".

God warned about looking to the occult for advice. Medium and psychics were outlawed because God was not the source of their information.
Most are fakes whose predictions cannot be trusted. We have God's Word to tell us all we need to know.
Thanks for sharing the truth

Old 09-12-2007, 10:31 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,529,339 times
And I won't try to go too deep into this, but I just wanted add something to what I Love
North Carolina said when you abide in the Lord by praying and meditating on His word day and night like He instructed us to. You will be able to properly discern good from evil. I would like to share at a later date, about psychic,seer, from my past experiences, I was
before I was born again" in Christ, a psychic and practiced divination. This can be a very complicated issue, when you start to get into levitations , premonitions and the likes of them, because the adversary like to emulate God, counterfeiting so to speak. I will promise you this, that whatever is from God will leave you with a supernatural unexplainable "peace", and whatever is not of God will vex your spirit and soul man, leaving you uneasy and confused... johnrex62 also explained this extremely well in the above post.
God Bless You

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 09-12-2007 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: added text thoughts'

Old 09-13-2007, 12:08 AM

3,163 posts, read 5,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
But I also think that if you are not a strong soul dark forces could interject for sure.
I dont understand the sentence the receiver does not take these gifts as a sign of their own importance.
If a person does not recognize the source of the gift, they may begin to believe it is self developed and that they are the source of it. They may begin to develop a pride in their accomplishment of mastering or wielding their gift to the point it becomes a conceit. Thus pride becomes a sin in their life as a result of their gift.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:39 AM

1,117 posts, read 3,227,370 times
Acts 1:1-8
1: In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach
2: until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen.
3: After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God.
4: On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.
5: For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."
6: So when they met together, they asked him, "Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?"
7: He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.
8: But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
Deuteronomy 18:18
18: I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him.
Hosea 12:10
10: I spoke to the prophets, gave them many visions and told parables through them."

Old 09-13-2007, 10:37 AM

91 posts, read 146,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
God's gifts have not usually brought warm fuzzies to their recipients from what I have read. They are usually frot with trouble and hardship. I guess to ensure that the receiver does not take these gifts as a sign of their own importance, but instead recognize God's work in the matter.
I find this confusing because in my experience things which come from God are the things which leave you with the 'warm fuzzies' and the things which come from Satan are the things which leave you feeling uneasy and confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity