Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 12:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,583,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
Boy, for someone who wants to be a writer, I sure don't know how to say things correctly. Sorry if that subject title seems a bit odd, but I really didn't know what else to put.

Here's my question: Do you think it's possible for people to have some sort of God-given "ability" or "gift" that would somehow enable them to "do" something, or cause something to happen, without any real active involvement in trying to "use" that ability?

For example, do you think it's possible that a person could have some sort of "something" in their bodies.....oh, I don't know - we'll just call it an electromagnetic force of some sort....that would manipulate how storms and other weather events occurred in their vicinity? Maybe for some unknown reason, thunderstorms and blizzards get dissipated or diverted away from the location where this person is. The person doesn't do anything in any sort of way to cause this to happen, but yet it keeps happening over and over wherever they are.

Another example....people seem to be able to "see" things happening, or have some sort of premonition about something, but there are so few details about it that they really can't actively "do" anything to prevent that thing from happening. Like a person might "see" a flood washing through a village - whether as a vision in front of their face, or simply in their "mind's eye". But that's it. They have no idea where it might be, WHEN it might take place, or anything of the sort. They just "see" it happening before it actually happens. So why would that be? If it is some sort of God-given ability, what would be the point?

Do you think there could be those sorts of abilities or "gifts" which are bestowed upon people by God - for whatever reason?

If this is too weird, just chalk it up to me being in a "mood" today. You can say to yourself "Oh brother, what has Rob been drinking today!" LOL!
With your first example, I would say no. But there is possiblity of demonic attacks to that person in order to prevent that person from doing God's work.

The second example I must say YES. I have experienced it and I know of a few beilievers who are able to see, even had a patient who heard events going on. But God allows that person to see the event in order for that person to intercede on behave of that person or region of a city or country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,649,290 times
^^
That's fine, so long as you know people from all spiritual walks of life have similar powers. You almost sound like you believe they are reserved for a certain sect of Christianity.

I doubt you do believe that, as it would be absurd. So I apologize if I misunderstood.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 PM

4,323 posts, read 5,998,765 times
Everyone is capable of having "gifts" from God. We are TAUGHT to suppress it. If you open yourself up to God, those gifts can be yours. All you have to do is ask.
I have visions, I hear messages and I have stopped rain before. I was called a freak by my neice who witnessed it. I saw where my moms stolen car was and the police found it exactly where I saw it. I had never been to that place before. The voices I hear guide me to God and teach me things I can't learn here on earth.
I didn't ask for the gifts and I accept them as real and truely amazing. They can guide you when you need them. God gives those to us because He loves us and we are all a part of Him. When you are near God, you have His attributes and those gifts are His to give.
There is no such thing as the devil. It was a creation of man to put fear in everyone. Lucifer WAS real but he is no more. People used to fear ghhosts and blame the spirit world for their problems but those were all man made problems. Stop living in fear and bless the gifts of God.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:12 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,073,039 times
sometimes but moreover they cant do it 24/7 9 to 5. expecially healing. sometimes it happens.
easy to fall victim to religious delusion aka magical thinking.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:38 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,854,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Everyone is capable of having "gifts" from God. We are TAUGHT to suppress it. If you open yourself up to God, those gifts can be yours. All you have to do is ask.
I have visions, I hear messages and I have stopped rain before. I was called a freak by my neice who witnessed it. I saw where my moms stolen car was and the police found it exactly where I saw it. I had never been to that place before. The voices I hear guide me to God and teach me things I can't learn here on earth.
I didn't ask for the gifts and I accept them as real and truely amazing. They can guide you when you need them. God gives those to us because He loves us and we are all a part of Him. When you are near God, you have His attributes and those gifts are His to give.
There is no such thing as the devil. It was a creation of man to put fear in everyone. Lucifer WAS real but he is no more. People used to fear ghhosts and blame the spirit world for their problems but those were all man made problems. Stop living in fear and bless the gifts of God.

Hmmm.

I don't doubt that there are gifts of God. But no devil? You're saying the Bible is wrong? That "Lucifer is no more"? If he is no more, then what happened to him and where did he go? Did God push a magic button, and "POOF", he's gone, vaporized into thin air, and our lives should be all better now? Should we disregard this part of the Bible (?):

Luke 4
1And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

2Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.

3And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.

4And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

5And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

6And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

7If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

8And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

9And he brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence:

10For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee:

11And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

12And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

13And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.

No offense intended, but I think I'll believe the Bible...

Bud

Old 04-07-2009, 08:11 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,277,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
Boy, for someone who wants to be a writer, I sure don't know how to say things correctly. Sorry if that subject title seems a bit odd, but I really didn't know what else to put.

Here's my question: Do you think it's possible for people to have some sort of God-given "ability" or "gift" that would somehow enable them to "do" something, or cause something to happen, without any real active involvement in trying to "use" that ability?

For example, do you think it's possible that a person could have some sort of "something" in their bodies.....oh, I don't know - we'll just call it an electromagnetic force of some sort....that would manipulate how storms and other weather events occurred in their vicinity? Maybe for some unknown reason, thunderstorms and blizzards get dissipated or diverted away from the location where this person is. The person doesn't do anything in any sort of way to cause this to happen, but yet it keeps happening over and over wherever they are.

Another example....people seem to be able to "see" things happening, or have some sort of premonition about something, but there are so few details about it that they really can't actively "do" anything to prevent that thing from happening. Like a person might "see" a flood washing through a village - whether as a vision in front of their face, or simply in their "mind's eye". But that's it. They have no idea where it might be, WHEN it might take place, or anything of the sort. They just "see" it happening before it actually happens. So why would that be? If it is some sort of God-given ability, what would be the point?

Do you think there could be those sorts of abilities or "gifts" which are bestowed upon people by God - for whatever reason?

If this is too weird, just chalk it up to me being in a "mood" today. You can say to yourself "Oh brother, what has Rob been drinking today!" LOL!

Well, what you are explaining there is not evidence in scripture of what you are talking about, coming from God. Everything does not come from God, if you have the Holy Spirit allow Him to guide you. If a gift is not from Him, then He will tell you and if a gift is from Him, then like wise He will not only tell you, He will tell you how to use the gift that came from Him.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,120,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
no such thing as the devil? are you serious or are you trying to lull others
into complacency(a noted ploy of the devil)

Old 04-08-2009, 03:42 AM

4,323 posts, read 5,998,765 times
Just because it's written in a book, does not make it true.
Lucifer, Satan and Caligastia did not want to side with Jesus and God so God made them as if they never were. Remember, all things are possible with God. When you step out of the box and learn more of the spirit world, you will see what is real and what is not.

It's only a ploy of the devil if YOU believe it to be. I do not believe that the devil, as is described in your bible, ever existed. The devil is our own egos if they are not fine tuned. Most parents will tell you of the devil and make you believe it because they don't want to believe that their very own children can cause hovac. How many times do you hear of parents telling their children not to do something because it's of the devil? And, since Jesus was here, no spirit can control another person. It's impossible.
When you think positive, bad things do not happen to you. When you are in a negative state, then you draw those actions to you. Hence, "the devil made me do it" sayings come about.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,476 times
Thank God someone posted an article like this! I have been so worried about this lately. First off, I am a very strong believer in God and I know Jesus came and died for our sins. I have been a Christian ever since I was a little child and was babtized when I was 10. I know paganism is evil and all that goes with. BUT, ever since I became a Christian ( I'm 21 now) I have always felt I could 'control' the wind. I could make it calm or strong depending on if there was any wind in the area. Also, like mentioned orginally, I am able to 'know stuff' before it happens. I have been doing a bible study on spiritual gifts lately and reading up on prophecy as it pertains to biblical standards, but I am still so confused about the whole 'wind' thing. I know I have it, I am just so ashamed of it though because I don't feel it's biblical, more of an old testament ability I guess instead of a present day thing. Any wisdom about this would be wonderful! Thank you in advance.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:20 PM

425 posts, read 364,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
Thank God someone posted an article like this! I have been so worried about this lately. First off, I am a very strong believer in God and I know Jesus came and died for our sins. I have been a Christian ever since I was a little child and was babtized when I was 10. I know paganism is evil and all that goes with. BUT, ever since I became a Christian ( I'm 21 now) I have always felt I could 'control' the wind. I could make it calm or strong depending on if there was any wind in the area. Also, like mentioned orginally, I am able to 'know stuff' before it happens. I have been doing a bible study on spiritual gifts lately and reading up on prophecy as it pertains to biblical standards, but I am still so confused about the whole 'wind' thing. I know I have it, I am just so ashamed of it though because I don't feel it's biblical, more of an old testament ability I guess instead of a present day thing. Any wisdom about this would be wonderful! Thank you in advance.
There is always the old saying those who know don't say and those who say don't know. You need to learn how to deal with your gifts without necessarily saying anything about them. Be still and let your thoughts crystallize. Study Hebrew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity