U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:07 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,884,541 times

Advertisements

Boy, for someone who wants to be a writer, I sure don't know how to say things correctly. Sorry if that subject title seems a bit odd, but I really didn't know what else to put.

Here's my question: Do you think it's possible for people to have some sort of God-given "ability" or "gift" that would somehow enable them to "do" something, or cause something to happen, without any real active involvement in trying to "use" that ability?

For example, do you think it's possible that a person could have some sort of "something" in their bodies.....oh, I don't know - we'll just call it an electromagnetic force of some sort....that would manipulate how storms and other weather events occurred in their vicinity? Maybe for some unknown reason, thunderstorms and blizzards get dissipated or diverted away from the location where this person is. The person doesn't do anything in any sort of way to cause this to happen, but yet it keeps happening over and over wherever they are.

Another example....people seem to be able to "see" things happening, or have some sort of premonition about something, but there are so few details about it that they really can't actively "do" anything to prevent that thing from happening. Like a person might "see" a flood washing through a village - whether as a vision in front of their face, or simply in their "mind's eye". But that's it. They have no idea where it might be, WHEN it might take place, or anything of the sort. They just "see" it happening before it actually happens. So why would that be? If it is some sort of God-given ability, what would be the point?

Do you think there could be those sorts of abilities or "gifts" which are bestowed upon people by God - for whatever reason?

If this is too weird, just chalk it up to me being in a "mood" today. You can say to yourself "Oh brother, what has Rob been drinking today!" LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 04:54 PM

21,330 posts, read 29,245,250 times
Ok Rob, stay with the lemon aid Based on what I have read in the Bible I don't think any of this possible. As Christians we do have spiritual gifts but things you mentioned are not spiritual gifts.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:10 PM

Well, I know that. But I mean how do you explain something like that? People actually DO have premonitions about stuff, and they come true. Why does it happen?

Old 09-08-2007, 05:27 PM

105 posts, read 394,362 times
I think that there are people who can "see" things. And that it is a gift from God. And this does not have anything to do if you believe in God or not. I call them special people, I have been around a couple of them, and it is a odd feeling when they say don't do this or that. But it is real.

I think almost everyone has the gift, but some or a small percent of them have should I say "devolped" their gift. I have always believe in this.

As for your question about people have "something" in them, that they could manipulate storms. I think so. I have never seen or heard anything about it, but that is not say that there are people out there that could do something like that and not really know it.

So, can I ask a question? What made you think of these two questions? I have found it interesting about people who can "see" or even talk to or hear from people who have passed away. I would enjoy reading your answer.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:01 PM

Isaiah 8:19 "So why are you trying to find out the future by consulting medium and psychics, do not listen to their whisperings and mutterings. Can the living find out the future from the dead? Why not ask your God".

Leviticus 20:"If any among the people are unfaithful by consulting and following medium or psychics I will turn against them and cut them off from the community".

God warned about looking to the occult for advice. Medium and psychics were outlawed because God was not the source of their information.
Most are fakes whose predictions cannot be trusted. We have God's Word to tell us all we need to know.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:12 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,906,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Well, I know that. But I mean how do you explain something like that? People actually DO have premonitions about stuff, and they come true. Why does it happen?

In 1st corinthians paul lists "the power to distinguish spirits" or the "working of miracles"
I don't know about you, but if I saw someone doing what I think Paul was talking about, I'd check to see what I was drinking

Old 09-08-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhaired51 View Post
I think that there are people who can "see" things. And that it is a gift from God. And this does not have anything to do if you believe in God or not. I call them special people, I have been around a couple of them, and it is a odd feeling when they say don't do this or that. But it is real.

I think almost everyone has the gift, but some or a small percent of them have should I say "devolped" their gift. I have always believe in this.

As for your question about people have "something" in them, that they could manipulate storms. I think so. I have never seen or heard anything about it, but that is not say that there are people out there that could do something like that and not really know it.

So, can I ask a question? What made you think of these two questions? I have found it interesting about people who can "see" or even talk to or hear from people who have passed away. I would enjoy reading your answer.
Okay, let's see - where to start.....

My mom has reportedly seen herself doing something before it actually happened. And the nature of what actually HAPPENED wasn't something that she would have been able to plan or make happen. It just happened the way it happened. (Does that make sense? ) For example, when she was in her second marriage (an emotionally and verbally abusive one), one night she said she was in an argument with her husband, and then she literally saw, as a vision (in front of her face), herself going over to the phone and calling the police. It wasn't something she actually DID at the time she saw this happening. She just saw it. I don't know all the details about the entire vision. But in a later argument with him, she actually went over to the phone and called the police, and she said it happened EXACTLY as she had seen it happen in her vision. The weird thing about this, too, is that I had previously "seen" something myself involving her husband. I didn't see it with my eyes open, but I was awake and saw it in my mind, as if it was an image flashing on the back of the inside of my forehead. It was clear and vivid. At the time it happened, she and her husband were living in Phoenix, and what I saw was her husband standing on their balcony. I don't recall exactly where my mom was...maybe down in the parking lot below the balcony, I don't know....but as I looked up at him, I started out at his feet and then moved my eyes up toward his face. When I saw his face, it looked demonic. It was freaky. I immediately opened my eyes to get rid of what I was seeing.

I, personally, have had many experiences in which I would "think" about something - as if it was a passing thought that came through my mind - and then immediately dismiss it as something that was "unlikely to happen." The thought would leave my mind about as quickly as it entered, and I wouldn't think about it anymore. And then several days later, what I thought about would actually happen. It has happened with a lot of different things. Several times it involved plane crashes, other times it was earthquakes, and then various other things like trains derailing, or tornadoes striking somewhere. Just different things. And when these thoughts would hit me, they just didn't impact me at the time they hit. I don't know how else to explain it. I also wouldn't have any details about anything - no date, no location - nothing. It's simply as if (this is just an example) someone came up to me, whispered in my ear "chocolate ice cream falling out of a truck" and then kept on walking past me. I wouldn't think anything more about it because the nature of it was such that I would dismiss it as being unlikely to happen. And then several days later, you'd hear a news report about chocolate ice cream falling out of a truck.

The odd thing now is that I'm trying to pay attention to them, and when something hits me, I try to focus on it and ask God to not allow it to happen. And then it doesn't. But there are still times when I DO dismiss something, and then it happens. So I don't know. It's weird. But that's what I meant by people having some sort of ability to have premonitions. I know there are other people who HAVE had significant premonitions, and it's not something they actively engage in, as if they are practicing some form of divination. They just happen. I recently watched a show about a man who had a dream in the late 70s about a plane crashing. Period. He kept having the same dream about a plane taking off and then flipping over and crashing. Well, this actually happened later at O'Hare Airport in Chicago in 1979. The guy had ACTUALLY seen this in his dream, but he was powerless to do anything about it because he didn't know WHEN it would happen, or WHERE.

How do you explain such things?

Old 09-08-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Isaiah 8:19 "So why are you trying to find out the future by consulting medium and psychics, do not listen to their whisperings and mutterings. Can the living find out the future from the dead? Why not ask your God".

Leviticus 20:"If any among the people are unfaithful by consulting and following medium or psychics I will turn against them and cut them off from the community".

God warned about looking to the occult for advice. Medium and psychics were outlawed because God was not the source of their information.
Most are fakes whose predictions cannot be trusted. We have God's Word to tell us all we need to know.
ILNC, I never said I was actively engaging in anything, or pursuing psychics or mediums. I also didn't say I was practicing any sort of divination. I'm not ACTIVELY engaging in anything. This stuff just HAPPENS, whether I or anyone else want it to or not.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:49 PM

Sorry Rob, I guess what I said was more in response of what silverhaired said.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:52 PM

Oh.

No, I definitely don't "practice" it in any way. But I also can't deny how some strange things have happened, and it makes me wonder why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or