U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 PM

20,299 posts, read 15,642,764 times

Advertisements

There are many who claim to be Christians, and yet they deny that the Bible is the word of God, and that it is inerrant. But Jesus Christ Himself gave the entire Old Testament His endorsement. Here are two verses which prove this.

1.) Luke 11:51 'from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the house of God; yes, I tell you, it shall be charged against this generation.

With that one statement, Jesus swept the entire range of the Old Testament books and endorsed them all.

This endorsement of Scripture takes us all the way from Genesis 4:10 to 2 Chronicles 24:20-21. Chronicles was the last book in the arrangement of the Hebrew Old Testament Canon.

2.) John 10:35 '"If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),

In Luke 11:51, Jesus endorsed the entire Old Testament Canon. In John 10:35 Jesus said the Scripture cannot be broken.

With those two statements Jesus Christ attested to the inerrant and infallable Old Testament Scriptures.

The following is some commentary with regard to Jesus' statement that the Scripture cannot be broken.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible
The scripture cannot be broken - See Matthew 5:19. The authority of the Scripture is final; it cannot be set aside.
John 10:35 If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came--and the Scripture cannot be broken--

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
And the scripture cannot be broken - Λυθηναι, dissolved, rendered of none effect, i.e. it cannot be gainsayed or set aside; every man must believe this, because it is the declaration of God.
John 10:35 If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came--and the Scripture cannot be broken--

Gill's Exposition of he Entire Bible
and the Scripture cannot be broken; or be made null and void; whatever that says is true, there is no contradicting it, or objecting to it: it is a Jewish way of speaking, much used in the Talmud (y); when one doctor has produced an argument, or instance, in any point of debate, another says, , "it may be broken"; or objected to, in such and such a manner, and be refuted: but the Scripture cannot be broken, that is not to be objected to, there can be no confutation of that.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Commentary
The parenthesis (Joh 10:35), "and the Scripture cannot be broken," referring to the terms used of magistrates in the eighty-second Psalm, has an important bearing on the authority of the living oracles. "The Scripture, as the expressed will of the unchangeable God, is itself unchangeable and indissoluble" [Olshausen]. (Compare Mt 5:17).

The Bible Knowledge Commentary, New Testament p. 312
'Jesus added to His argument the words, and the Scripture cannot be broken, so that no one could evade its force by saying an error was in the Scriptures. This important verse clearly points up the inerrancy of the Bible.'

NASB Study Bible, p1539
1035 Scripture cannot be broken. Jesus testified to the complete authority and reliability of the OT.

Those who claim that the Old Testament Scriptures give a false depiction of God are without excuse. They make such claims in direct defiance of the words and endorsement of Jesus Christ.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:24 PM

37,498 posts, read 25,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
There are many who claim to be Christians, and yet they deny that the Bible is the word of God, and that it is inerrant. But Jesus Christ Himself gave the entire Old Testament His endorsement. Here are two verses which prove this.
I dealt with this deceptive post in the other thread where you posted the same nonsense. IT is no more true here than it was there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is a lie that cannot be backed up with any scripture where Jesus proclaimed the written OT scriptures inerrant or infallible . . . and He never said anything about the written NT because it didn't exist. And STOP spamming the forum with this lengthy and graphically intense post. This must be the 10th time (if not more) that you have posted the same post.
Quote:
To the contrary.
From the lips of Jesus Christ Himself!

1.) Luke 11:51 'from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the house of God; yes, I tell you, it shall be charged against this generation.

With that one statement, Jesus swept the entire range of the Old Testament books and endorsed them all.

This endorsement of Scripture takes us all the way from Genesis 4:10 to 2 Chronicles 24:20-21. Chronicles was the last book in the arrangement of the Hebrew Old Testament Canon.
What a pathetic misuse of scripture. Here is what Christ was endorsing the killing of the prophets during those savage eras:

Luke 11:47-51 King James Version (KJV)

47Woe unto you! for ye build the sepulchres of the prophets, and your fathers killed them.
48Truly ye bear witness that ye allow the deeds of your fathers: for they indeed killed them, and ye build their sepulchres.
49Therefore also said the wisdom of God, I will send them prophets and apostles, and some of them they shall slay and persecute:
50That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation;
51From the blood of Abel unto the blood of Zacharias which perished between the altar and the temple: verily I say unto you, It shall be required of this generation.

How you can twist this castigation of the OT savagery into an endorsement of infallibility and inerrancy for the OT is beyond disingenuous . . . it is pathetic deception.

Quote:
2.) John 10:35 '"If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),

In Luke 11:51, Jesus endorsed the entire Old Testament Canon. In John 10:35 Jesus said the Scripture cannot be broken.

With those two statements Jesus Christ attested to the inerrant and infallable Old Testament Scriptures.
I dealt with your deceptive attempt to use Luke as an endorsement of the entire OT instead of a castigation of the savagery committed in it. Now I will deal with Christ's actual endorsement that cannot be broken:

John 10:35 King James Version (KJV)

35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Christ is referring ONLY to the prophets "unto whom the word of God came" . . . NOT the entire OT. Epic fail, Mike.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 PM

17,696 posts, read 8,870,974 times
Indeed, he spoke about them without approving or sanctioning their blood thirst.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I dealt with this deceptive post in the other thread where you posted the same nonsense. IT is no more true here than it was there.

What a pathetic misuse of scripture. Here is what Christ was endorsing the killing of the prophets during those savage eras:

Luke 11:47-51 King James Version (KJV)

47Woe unto you! for ye build the sepulchres of the prophets, and your fathers killed them.
48Truly ye bear witness that ye allow the deeds of your fathers: for they indeed killed them, and ye build their sepulchres.
49Therefore also said the wisdom of God, I will send them prophets and apostles, and some of them they shall slay and persecute:
50That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation;
51From the blood of Abel unto the blood of Zacharias which perished between the altar and the temple: verily I say unto you, It shall be required of this generation.

How you can twist this castigation of the OT savagery into an endorsement of infallibility and inerrancy for the OT is beyond disingenuous . . . it is pathetic deception.

I dealt with your deceptive attempt to use Luke as an endorsement of the entire OT instead of a castigation of the savagery committed in it. Now I will deal with Christ's actual endorsement that cannot be broken:

John 10:35 King James Version (KJV)

35If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Christ is referring ONLY to the prophets "unto whom the word of God came" . . . NOT the entire OT. Epic fail, Mike.
As I told you on the other thread, you are mistaken. In telling the Pharisees that they would be held responsible for the blood of the prophets, Jesus swept the entire range of the Old Testament and endorsed them as the word of God.

And with regard to His statement that the Scripture cannot be broken, that applys to all Scripture, therefore attesting to the inerrancy and authority of the Old Testament Scriptures.

You cannot dismiss Scripture as Scripture just because you don't like what it says.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,568,904 times
Mike,

My opinion:

So long as you are obsessed with the belief that the bible is the inerrant, infallible word of God, you will never be led by the Holy Spirit into all truth. You really should consider that carefully because you are very zealous and this life we have on earth is brief. What if you miss your time, just as many of the religious Jews did when Jesus first appeared to them? They knew the scriptures forwards and backwards and they missed him! It is possible, I think, that we are already assigned to our various roles though, so you may just be carrying out your assignment.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 AM

17,696 posts, read 8,870,974 times
Shamefully, there are many who have a voracious appetite for blood; the blood of animals, women, children, true prophets and that of Christ himself.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Mike,

My opinion:

So long as you are obsessed with the belief that the bible is the inerrant, infallible word of God, you will never be led by the Holy Spirit into all truth. You really should consider that carefully because you are very zealous and this life we have on earth is brief. What if you miss your time, just as many of the religious Jews did when Jesus first appeared to them? They knew the scriptures forwards and backwards and they missed him! It is possible, I think, that we are already assigned to our various roles though, so you may just be carrying out your assignment.
You are one of many who simply will not listen when presented with truth. The Bible is God's word to man. To dismiss His word is to dismiss Him!!!

Last edited by Mike555; 03-05-2012 at 01:11 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 04:01 AM

30,165 posts, read 19,971,676 times
John 10:35 '"If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),

True the scriptures cannot be broken. Yet here is Jesus quoting scripture to those who claimed they believed scriptures, but in truth didn't, they had no idea what this verse of scripture meant or believed the interpretation of it by Jesus.

What can and is broken is the fundamentalists interpretation of the scripture, which by the way Jesus did on more than one occasion.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:21 AM

34,479 posts, read 8,888,267 times
Quote:
You are one of many who simply will not listen when presented with truth. The Bible is God's word to man. To dismiss His word is to dismiss Him!!!
In a way, I have to agree. Once one entertains the idea that the Bible is NOT the inerrant Word of God but written by men who made errors, then one is beginning on the slippery slope of questioning how much is true.

All of it, given some forgivable errors? Most of it, even with some pretty thumping falsity? Not much of it and it is the opinions of men rather than the pronouncements of God?

Many who have begun by questioning end up by disbelieving, in the veracity of the Bible at least, if not in God.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:24 AM

30,165 posts, read 19,971,676 times
Quote:
I just choose to dismiss the fundamentalists interpretation of the scriptures, Jesus did too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or