U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,642,376 times

Advertisements

Okay so I have been reading a bunch of threads in both the Christianity forum and the Religion one and it got me thinking. When you "chat" with someone who is questioning God, faith, forgiveness......what do you think is important for them to see from you as a Christian? I am curious of your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:46 PM

2,181 posts, read 3,809,352 times
The ability to stand firm in what you believe, but do it with patience, kindness, empathy, and love.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:51 PM

20,055 posts, read 21,093,969 times
Rob said it all, we are to speak the truth in love and with patience. I try to do this and I know I fail at times.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 PM

Wow Rob, that was beautiful.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:54 PM

12,409 posts, read 15,091,383 times
Default When I chat with someone here..

I want them to be able to "feel" my love, my joy, and most of all my faith and peace with God

Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 PM

20,055 posts, read 21,093,969 times
I want people to know I love the Lord, have a strong faith in God and what I say really comes from my heart.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 PM

Blue62 and ILNC, if people don't know those things about you two lovely ladies, then they haven't met you Thank you for your responses!!!!

Old 09-08-2007, 10:26 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,541,577 times
All of the above answers. Sometimes it is difficult, I feel that I put the word out there, and speak the truth in Love, Non-Compromising is a plus, some people feel that it will turn some off or away. But Jesus spoke the truth in Love, but he did not play around and act like , Salvation wasn't serious as John the Baptist was infamous for, saying " REPENT and be baptized, he didn't dance with the enemy.
The New Christian movements have new tactics, because since a lot of people seem to be hypersensitive in life in general and self-centered, No one wants you to say anything that will make them look at their sin, and call it what it is, people will accuse you of being harsh and Bible-thumping, which most times is interpreted as " I'm not ready to stop doing what i want when I want to" and " nobody's going to tell me what I need to believe". passivity can be harmful, and too aggressive can be a turn off, I would suggest reading or taking a class on effective witnessing. Because if we don't tell them the truth according to the "Word of God" then their blood will be on our hands, so whether we're simply "chatting" , Stand your ground and see how the apostles in the Book of Acts handled the same issues. We need to be very careful though because the Word of God instructs us to be ready in season and out of season. when I was a unbeliever I didn't want to hear anything from anyone, I called them "Holy Rollers", but I'm glad they witnessed to me, because when The Holy Spirit had to chase me down and arrest me, it ws not a "pretty picture" or a beautiful story. I'd rather fall into the hands of men who are witnessing the gospel for my soul salvation, than to fall into the hands of an angry God.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:33 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,541,577 times
Oh! I don't intend for this to sound like a comtradiction, but I posted something similar to this , in my post conversion, what turned me off about Pharisee type
people in the church. I just wanted to clarify this statement above.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:50 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,225,176 times
I also agree with "all of the above." At least, so far!

I really liked Rob's answer because the unbelieving world has a very warped view of Christians. They don't expect us to exhibit "patience, kindness, empathy, and love." Also, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Many non-Christians also think that with a little "enlightenment" we will fall flat; they don't expect us to stand firm.

I also want others to see that Christians do have answers to their challenges. I want them to understand that Christians can be every bit as educated, knowledgeable, and logical as they are. Yet, also I want them to see that we can admit that we don't know everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity