U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:37 PM

115 posts, read 49,688 times

Advertisements

Why has someone pointed out the same-sex aspect without also pointing out that it was rape, the real issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 02:48 PM

661 posts, read 244,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
If I had to compare what Jude wrote and what the Lord told Ezekiel, I think I'd have to go with the words of the Lord:

Pride

Fullness of bread

Abundance of idleness

Neglecting the poor and needy.

These ^^^^ are the offences that God said were the sins of Sodom. (There were probably others too, but the important ones were the above four.)

Something to think about, imo.

Blessings,
brian
Hi brian, I think these 4 sins are what led the sodomites to the sexual sins that they committed. Idle hands are the devil's workshop...

I don't think there is any justification in suggesting that their sexual sins were clearly less offensive to God. God never said that.

Steph

PS I do agree that the 4 sins mentioned in Ezekiel are treated as menial by most Christians in comparison and this is equally unjustifiable

Old 03-09-2012, 04:06 PM

7,450 posts, read 2,640,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
Idle hands are the devil's workshop...
Idleness could be that of just relaxing or merely taking a vacation.
But it doesn’t necessarily imply that of doing nothing, unless of course one is fearful.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:09 PM

115 posts, read 49,688 times
I can't use Ezekiel because it's poorly translated; "fullness of bread" isn't good English.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:22 PM

661 posts, read 244,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
But it doesn’t necessarily imply that of doing nothing, unless of course one is fearful.
I doubt that relaxing or going on vacation was what Ezekiel was going on about.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:24 PM

7,450 posts, read 2,640,720 times
Quote:

Synonyms:
Afraid, timid, timorous...
apprehensive, uneasy....
distrustful; solicitous.....
anxious, concerned.......
or worried.

"Is not the bread of life."

Old 03-09-2012, 04:33 PM

5,966 posts, read 2,955,527 times
Quote:

"Those who view things through perversion, see nothing else."
So true. And fixate on the perverse, ignoring other shortcomings.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
Hi brian, I think these 4 sins are what led the sodomites to the sexual sins that they committed. Idle hands are the devil's workshop...

I don't think there is any justification in suggesting that their sexual sins were clearly less offensive to God. God never said that.

Steph

PS I do agree that the 4 sins mentioned in Ezekiel are treated as menial by most Christians in comparison and this is equally unjustifiable
I think you are right, Steph. When people refuse to attend to the work of the Lord, to strengthen the hand of the poor and needy and and to plead for the cause of the oppressed, then the will be given over to do their own will which include various shameful things. Gluttony and greed is not just about too much food and sex. It is about caring only about one's own selfish desires and ignoring injustice.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwrench View Post
Why has someone pointed out the same-sex aspect without also pointing out that it was rape, the real issue.
Why indeed.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:18 PM

9,490 posts, read 5,046,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
From Ezekiel 16:

No mention of sex here ^^^ . (But I'm happy you wrote that Capernaum was "more wicked" than Sodom. That, too, should be telling us something about which sins are most offensive to God. -IF we are willing to hear it.)

Blessings,
brian
That's because the context of Ezekiel 16 isn't, where as Genesis 19 specifically states it.

Jesus tells us why Capernaum was more wicked and this wickedness is no less different when people read the Bible and still not believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity