U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 AM

12,909 posts, read 6,974,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
The men of Sodom and Gomorrah were certainly inhospitable, but you seriously believe that God destroyed those cities for that alone?

Ezekiel 16:49-50 tells us, "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me..."

The Hebrew word 'detestable' means morally disgusting. I have serious doubt that being inhospitable would be morally disgusting to God, and that it would cause Him to destroy entire cities. Ironic that both S&G are wastelands today. Perhaps a reminder for us to take heed of their sins?
Hi Saved. As you said, God would not destroy Sodom and Gomorrah for inhospitality alone. When you combine Ezekiel 16:49-50 with Genesis chapter 19 and Jude 1:6-7, you get a very clear picture of why those cities were destroyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM

9,590 posts, read 5,317,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Hi Saved. As you said, God would not destroy Sodom and Gomorrah for inhospitality alone. When you combine Ezekiel 16:49-50 with Genesis chapter 19 and Jude 1:6-7, you get a very clear picture of why those cities were destroyed.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 PM

2,934 posts, read 1,442,326 times
Quote:
I am not interested in the views and opinions of unbelievers and secular liberals.
Then you should stay off of forums, where diverse groups of people participate - not ALL Christians are conservatives. If you can't defend your statements, and you're only interested in preaching - then I think you're not fully participating in how a forum works.

Offtopic post? Not adding anything to the topic at all? Hmmm...is that against forum rules?

Anyways - I'll say it again, and hopefully get a slightly more adult and original answer next time: The Book of Jude is perhaps not a good guide (given it's late date of composition) to interpret a book that was written virtually thousands of years prior to it.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 527,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Then you should stay off of forums, where diverse groups of people participate - not ALL Christians are conservatives. If you can't defend your statements, and you're only interested in preaching - then I think you're not fully participating in how a forum works.

Offtopic post? Not adding anything to the topic at all? Hmmm...is that against forum rules?

Anyways - I'll say it again, and hopefully get a slightly more adult and original answer next time: The Book of Jude is perhaps not a good guide (given it's late date of composition) to interpret a book that was written virtually thousands of years prior to it.

The dating of the Book of Jude is irrelevant in regards to whether or not it is a reliable source for information concerning the sins of Sodom & Gomorrah. It's still God's Word no matter when he decided to have it written down. The book is full of wisdom for being a single chapter long, and too, reminds us once again that there will be scoffers in the end times...

Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Keep your advice to yourself. Again, I have no regard for anyone who attacks the word of God. Jude is a part of the word of God and and is accurate.

Scripture itself has verified what I said. And you lose.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 PM

7,597 posts, read 2,748,134 times
Quote:
The men of Sodom however, as shown in Gen 19 attempted to engage in homosexual relations with the angels they thought to be men.
"Behavior refers to actions, collectively."

It appears that you continue to refrain from noticing or recognizing that "all the people" were present.

Including, the women and children!
For your information, most men would put themselves between a stranger and their families.
Especially, if they were suspicious of them.

(Your mythical beliefs are another matter, in and of themselves)

Old 03-16-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
The dating of the Book of Jude is irrelevant in regards to whether or not it is a reliable source for information concerning the sins of Sodom & Gomorrah. It's still God's Word no matter when he decided to have it written down. The book is full of wisdom for being a single chapter long, and too, reminds us once again that there will be scoffers in the end times...
Nobody is scoffing here. Please don't assume that simply because someone disagrees with you - they are scoffing.

Sodom and Gomorrah was known long before Jude commented on it. Since you're insistent on God's Word being the ultimate judge - why have you not commented on the verses I quoted from the Wisdom of Solomon? In there, God's Word, is a clear declaration of why Sodom was destroyed. And it wasn't for "homosexuality".

I've already asked this - and as far as I know, nobody has dealt with those verses.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Keep your advice to yourself. Again, I have no regard for anyone who attacks the word of God. Jude is a part of the word of God and and is accurate.

Scripture itself has verified what I said. And you lose.
So you say. How do you know Jude is part of "the word of God and and is accurate"?

The Wisdom of Solomon is also part of "the word of God" - (who is apparantly Jesus according to you in another thread): so why haven't you accepted the very clear statements in the verses I quoted? Why do you ignore some of the word of God, but accept others?

And again - welcome to a forum. I'm not giving advice. I'm doing what people do in forums. If you don't care for it, turn your computer off. Don't pout. The majority of posters seem to agree that the "sin" of Sodom was not homosexuality.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 AM

From the "Word of God":
On the sinners, however, punishments rained down, not unheralded by violent thunderbolts;
justly did they suffer from their own misdeeds, since they practised such cruel hostility toward strangers.

Others [Sodom] refused to welcome strangers who visited them, but these enslaved guests and befactors. And that was not the sum of it - indeed their final reckoning is yet to come - for the former received strangers with hostility (from the start), whereas the latter, after a festal welcome, oppressed with hard labor men who had already shared with them equal rights.

But they were struck with blindness too, as were those at the doors of the righteous man [Lot], when encompanied by an immense darkness each went groping for this own doorway.
(Wisdom of Solomon 19:13-17, AB)

So...some people have demonstrated that the Word of God is important in interpreting an event that occured, so I offer the Word of God again.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
So you say. How do you know Jude is part of "the word of God and and is accurate"?

The Wisdom of Solomon is also part of "the word of God" - (who is apparantly Jesus according to you in another thread): so why haven't you accepted the very clear statements in the verses I quoted? Why do you ignore some of the word of God, but accept others?

And again - welcome to a forum. I'm not giving advice. I'm doing what people do in forums. If you don't care for it, turn your computer off. Don't pout. The majority of posters seem to agree that the "sin" of Sodom was not homosexuality.
No whoppers. Neither the Wisdom of Solomon or any other Apocryphal or Pseudepigrapha books are or ever were a part of the word of God.

Jude is a part of the word of God and was so recognized by the church under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Books such as the Shepherd of Hermes which many accepted at one time of being canonical were later determined not to be.

But none of this is the topic of the thread.

Moderator cut: edit

And yes, Jesus Christ is the Word of God. And so is the Bible.

As for why God destroyed Sodom and Gormorrah, see post #81.

Last edited by june 7th; 03-16-2012 at 04:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity