Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 AM

889 posts, read 825,080 times

Advertisements

How do folks feel about that? I heard a while ago that Dr. Robert Schuller and company really didn't want to sell the property to the Catholic Church. But I guess they did because the Catholic Church was the highest bidder and they needed the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:48 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
How do folks feel about that? I heard a while ago that Dr. Robert Schuller and company really didn't want to sell the property to the Catholic Church. But I guess they did because the Catholic Church was the highest bidder and they needed the money.
Quote:
In the end, 2,000 years of tradition carried the day.
An Orange County bankruptcy judge ruled Thursday that the Crystal Cathedral, a monument to modernism in faith and architecture, will be sold for $57.5 million to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange, which plans to consecrate it as a Catholic cathedral.

The number of Catholics in the US (77 million) vastly outnumbers all protestant churches put together. So the church will be put to good use.

However, I am not a fan of modern looking churches.

BTW, who gets the money?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 AM

889 posts, read 825,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The number of Catholics in the US (77 million) vastly outnumbers all protestant churches put together. So the church will be put to good use.

However, I am not a fan of modern looking churches.

BTW, who gets the money?
Who gets the money? The ministries creditors, that's who gets most of it. They were like 43 million in debt.

I'm with you on the looks thing, but they not only bought it for the cathedral but the 40 acres which will now consolidate all Catholic Charity organizations in the area and put it on one campus.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Who gets the money? The ministries creditors, that's who gets most of it. They were like 43 million in debt.

I'm with you on the looks thing, but they not only bought it for the cathedral but the 40 acres which will now consolidate all Catholic Charity organizations in the area and put it on one campus.
I read that Schuller and family members paid themselves exorbitant salaries and were out of touch.

Apparently the RCC may eventually allow them to worship in this church:

Not exactly a beautiful church either; but much smaller.

I don't get the Crystal Cathedral. I like the more traditional buildings.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Sounds like a win-win to me.

Schuller's ministry HAD to sell and it's a lot better for another faith community to take over that lovely building than to spend more money and use up valuable resources on a new construction project.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:05 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I read that Schuller and family members paid themselves exorbitant salaries and were out of touch.

Apparently the RCC may eventually allow them to worship in this church:

Not exactly a beautiful church either; but much smaller.

I don't get the Crystal Cathedral. I like the more traditional buildings.
I agree.

I love the older churches and their simple beauty. They have a peaceful feeling to them that can't be matched. Just because i'm not a Christian doesn't mean I can't appreciate it.

The Crystal Cathedral was more of a monument to greed and opulence that a place of worship. Just saying.......

Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I took a tour of the Crystal Cathedral once (I lived near it and a neighbor insisted on giving me a tour of his church) and it was rather spectacular, even though I prefer more traditional architecture. There was also an older church building that they used before building the "cathedral". But I'm sure a lot of work will have to be done to be able to use this as a Catholic church. IIRC, it didn't even have pews, but theater seats.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
Nothing greater than the "feeling" of an outdoor Mass!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
What's the Catholic Church going to do with it? It's not suitable for a parish church in Garden Grove CA. It's ridiculous to even think of it as a potential a parish church. So, then, what are the RC's plans for it? It's a unique building. I knew it existed, though I never bothered to get off the freeways to look at it, since churches set up for television are an instant turn-off. Heck, last time I was in my native LA, I didn't even bother to see the new Cathedral downtown. I've heard that the craftsmanship is good, but the design is weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity