U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-11-2007, 02:18 PM

12,366 posts, read 14,439,575 times
June is sitting next to me Jeff and I believe she has been appointed as our analyst...She will be very busy We all hope she doesn't back out

Old 09-11-2007, 02:23 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,207,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
June is sitting next to me Jeff and I believe she has been appointed as our analyst...She will be very busy We all hope she doesn't back out
kaykay alone might be a full-time job!

Old 09-11-2007, 03:48 PM

3,490 posts, read 134,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Our analyst! I musta missed that one...don't worry kaykay, if anyones gonna keep her plate full we all know it will be me!

She's being awfully quiet...you don't suppose she has found something outside of CD to do!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM

2,181 posts, read 3,679,300 times
Okay, what I'm basically starting to read from everyone is that you want this "Christianity" subforum to be like a church - with fellowship, "sermons", Bible studies and general refuge from debates. So I have another question. If this is going to be like a church, which denomination is it going to be?

My point is there are many here of different denominations, whether evangelical, Mormon, Catholic, Baptist, etc. In fact, some of us can't (or won't) subscribe to one particular denomination or form of Christianity. We will undoubtedly clash over something, which means there either WILL be debates, or else some will feel isolated and unwelcome. I personally don't consider myself an evangelical Christian. I lean more toward the traditional beliefs and views of Orthodoxy and Catholicism. If I post a particular belief, some may disagree with that - so will they confront me over it, as though they have the ability to "correct" me? Or will they simply ignore my post?

Certain Bible studies may make some people feel left out because they disagree with the interpretations being presented. Other people may come across as authoritarian, presuming they have the right to take on the role of "pastor".

Blueberry mentioned:
Quote:
...denominational differences would be of wider interest, so I believe those discussions most appropriately fit in the main forum.
I'm not sure I understand why denominational differences would be of ANY interest to atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. So how is this going to work?

Old 09-11-2007, 05:38 PM

3,490 posts, read 134,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Okay, what I'm basically starting to read from everyone is that you want this "Christianity" subforum to be like a church - with fellowship, "sermons", Bible studies and general refuge from debates. So I have another question. If this is going to be like a church, which denomination is it going to be?

My point is there are many here of different denominations, whether evangelical, Mormon, Catholic, Baptist, etc. In fact, some of us can't (or won't) subscribe to one particular denomination or form of Christianity. We will undoubtedly clash over something, which means there either WILL be debates, or else some will feel isolated and unwelcome. I personally don't consider myself an evangelical Christian. I lean more toward the traditional beliefs and views of Orthodoxy and Catholicism. If I post a particular belief, some may disagree with that - so will they confront me over it, as though they have the ability to "correct" me? Or will they simply ignore my post?

Certain Bible studies may make some people feel left out because they disagree with the interpretations being presented. Other people may come across as authoritarian, presuming they have the right to take on the role of "pastor".

Blueberry mentioned: I'm not sure I understand why denominational differences would be of ANY interest to atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. So how is this going to work?
Brilliantly put...this is what I worry about too.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:16 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,135,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post

Blueberry mentioned:
...denominational differences would be of wider interest, so I believe those discussions most appropriately fit in the main forum.

I'm not sure I understand why denominational differences would be of ANY interest to atheists, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. So how is this going to work?
I'll take a stab at this since I was quoted.

I'm not sure I see this sub-forum as a church, at least not in the traditional sense. I envision it more as a (mostly) like minded group of individuals meeting together for study, exhortation, encouragement, etc. I like to think we're more united than divided, so in the context of this forum, we can (mostly) overlook our differences so we can engage in sharing with one another. Yes, some are liberal, others conservative, some in the middle; we're a cross section of denominations/sects, so there will be theological/doctrinal differences, also. I'm not sure anyone has appointed himself role of pastor, although it is only natural that some threads may appear that way only because others have shown an appreciation for what a particular person has shared. The same opportunity is open to people from all denominations/sects; members can freely choose to participate in a thread or not. Naturally, people will more likely participate in a thread they can identify with in some way. Catholics will more naturally be drawn to Catholic threads, Protestants to Protestant ones, LDS to LDS, etc. (Is the thread about the on-line church the thing that is making some people uncomfortable? I haven't participated on that thread, but I really think it was done in jest. I'm sure it wasn't meant to exclude. Last time I checked, no one had volunteered me for any position--thankfully!--but I didn't take it personally.)

I would hope that we're all adult enough to realize when our opinions are likely to be controversial. If I'm starting a thread, I'll take that into consideration when deciding which forum to post in. If I see a thread heading way off topic because of differences, I'd suggest that portion of the discussion be taken to the main forum. If I think a thread might have a wider audience/interest, I'd post the thread in the main forum unless I'm looking strictly for Christian feedback for some reason.

The reason I suggest the main forum for some things is because of the posts I've seen saying that people were drawn to the "Religion (& Philosophy)" forum for 1) debate, and 2) learning about and/or discussing religions. My impression is that the people who wanted a Christian forum did so because they do not always choose to engage in debate or heated discussion; this was to be more "neutral" territory.

My thought behind stating that denominational differences were more appropriate to the main forum was based on #2 in the prior paragraph. I, too, wouldn't necessarily expect an atheist, Buddhist, Jew, etc. to care about Christian denominational/theological differences. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that atheists have an interest in a religion forum at all, yet I accept their desire to debate and their willingness to learn about or discuss religions in general. My guess is that non-Christians might actually be interested in the reasons Christians have their differences. (Then again, I could be wrong!) Where the non-Christian may have no interest in a Bible study/devotional or a post declaring the greatness of God, he might be willing to discuss the generalities of the Christian faith.

The Christians who choose to debate can do so in the main forum which draws those who like to debate. Likewise, Christians who want a broader dissemination of their threads can post on the main forum unless the guidelines shake out that all Christian discussion is limited to the sub-forum.

Last edited by Blueberry; 09-11-2007 at 07:29 PM..

Old 09-11-2007, 08:04 PM

3,040 posts, read 1,576,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
My thoughts about this sub-forum are pretty much along the lines of what Kaykay and Aiangel have said.

When we were in a single forum, I saw many posts from non-Christians criticizing what they perceived to be a Christian forum. Hopefully, this sub-forum will alleviate some of those complaints. Items that are mainly of interest to Christians will be posted in this forum, from simple fellowship to items involving deeper study/discussion. Items that are more controversial or may be of interest to others (even if they are Christian oriented) will be in the main forum. I believe Christianity should most certainly be represented in the main forum, and I don't think non-Christians should feel like they need to venture into this forum to get their questions answered although they are certainly welcomed here in a non-confrontational context.

Several people have mentioned in the past how some of the former regulars no longer posted in the "Religion" forum because they were tired of the confrontational atmosphere. Other Christians wouldn't venture in at all for the same reason. Hopefully, this sub-forum will be a place where all Christians will feel welcome. Let this be more of a safe haven, and let's take our theological arguments to the main forum because there would be a wider area of interest there.

Like someone said earlier, this sub-forum is a work in progress. It will probably never make complete sense.
Yes, I'd say this is a good description of what this forum should be about. We will post an announcement some guidelines later.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,010,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Confused here about what "mold" we are talking about? Do you think that you are not perceived as "conservative" as some of the rest of us or what? Do you think you don't see the Bible as literally as some of us do? Come on, weather, "throw us a bone here." We honestly don't know what you're talking about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
For what's worth, I have to agree with kaykay here. Honestly weather, I'd scoot over in my pew for you to sit down anytime.
Thanks, Alpha, for scooting over. You know, in the Catholic church we would just stand up with a look of great annoyance and allow you to scoot by. We're very particular about our seats.

I have thought and thought and thought about how to fully explain what I mean and how I feel and I've come up with nothing! I try very hard to not post without first thinking. Sitting at this computer, my words are who I am. You cannot see me, you do not know me. All you can do is read my words and hope that I am real. I do the best I can to let you SEE who I am. But I guess that is where the problem lies for me. The sub-forum seems so exclusive to me. I have read all of your posts. I have some idea of what your values are and what/who you consider to be a Chrisitian. And I'm not sure that if we were seated in a restaurant at adjoining booths, you would just naturally assume that I was a Christian. I don't know, I just don't think that I fit the mold. However, that is probably just my perception.

I do want to note that I have given this whole sub-forum business a lot of thought. I have read the "what do you think of the sub-forum" and the "I'm confused" threads several times. There are some posters out there that truly need this forum. It is their haven. It is where they will feel safe. I certainly don't think that it should be taken away. This is where they will build there faith. Maybe some guidelines can be made/clarified. There needs to be some definition of what is to be discussed and who is allowed to discuss it.

That being said, I do think that it has caused a division and I don't see that it will change. There are those that just will not enter the sub-forum. And I think that is a shame.

In the words of the great June, take gentle care.

May God bless us all...

Weather...

Old 09-11-2007, 08:44 PM

3,684 posts, read 8,214,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Thanks, Alpha, for scooting over. You know, in the Catholic church we would just stand up with a look of great annoyance and allow you to scoot by. We're very particular about our seats.

I have thought and thought and thought about how to fully explain what I mean and how I feel and I've come up with nothing! I try very hard to not post without first thinking. Sitting at this computer, my words are who I am. You cannot see me, you do not know me. All you can do is read my words and hope that I am real. I do the best I can to let you SEE who I am. But I guess that is where the problem lies for me. The sub-forum seems so exclusive to me. I have read all of your posts. I have some idea of what your values are and what/who you consider to be a Chrisitian. And I'm not sure that if we were seated in a restaurant at adjoining booths, you would just naturally assume that I was a Christian. I don't know, I just don't think that I fit the mold. However, that is probably just my perception.

I do want to note that I have given this whole sub-forum business a lot of thought. I have read the "what do you think of the sub-forum" and the "I'm confused" threads several times. There are some posters out there that truly need this forum. It is their haven. It is where they will feel safe. I certainly don't think that it should be taken away. This is where they will build there faith. Maybe some guidelines can be made/clarified. There needs to be some definition of what is to be discussed and who is allowed to discuss it.

That being said, I do think that it has caused a division and I don't see that it will change. There are those that just will not enter the sub-forum. And I think that is a shame.

In the words of the great June, take gentle care.

May God bless us all...

Weather...
I have to say I totally understand what Weather is saying. Although I love my fundy friends I also know you don't really want me posting to anything that actually asks what I believe if it is different from the sola scriptura club. Don't be offended I don't mean anything by that except to convey what the sub forum seems to be about to me. Possibly it shouldn't say Christianity, it should say Fundementalist Christianity. That way the Catholics, JW's, LDS, Universalists (can't leave Jeff out. ) and any other combo of Christian religion that doesn't fit that "Born Again" mold would know not to invade the space.

Let's face it guys...even though we all believe in the same big picture we have all argued amongst ourselves on the fine details. If that isn't what belongs in the Christianity forum then it leaves out a whole lot of Christians, IMO.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,010,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I have to say I totally understand what Weather is saying. Although I love my fundy friends I also know you don't really want me posting to anything that actually asks what I believe if it is different from the sola scriptura club. Don't be offended I don't mean anything by that except to convey what the sub forum seems to be about to me. Possibly it shouldn't say Christianity, it should say Fundementalist Christianity. That way the Catholics, JW's, LDS, Universalists (can't leave Jeff out. ) and any other combo of Christian religion that doesn't fit that "Born Again" mold would know not to invade the space.

Let's face it guys...even though we all believe in the same big picture we have all argued amongst ourselves on the fine details. If that isn't what belongs in the Christianity forum then it leaves out a whole lot of Christians, IMO.
Finally, validation! Thank you, Irish! I was beginning to think that I was crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.