U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM

3,455 posts, read 1,424,915 times
We are indeed to Keep the commandments of Christ's Law (not Mosaic Law). What's the primary focus of Christ's Law? Serving OTHERS with Charity as they glorify GOD through us. We are to walk in the Spirit not the flesh (Galatians 5). The focus is on OTHERS not SELF.

Christ has given us liberty. That is such a beautiful word that has brought many to Christ. Look at Chuck Smith's success in his ministry? So called Hippies of the 70s coming to Christ being empowered by HIS Spirit to serve in Love producing fruit.

We are Saved, then we respond. We don't respond, than we are saved. That's not how it works. One must be "born again" baptized with the Holy Spirit until they can produce fruit "keeping the commandments" of Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 AM

6,932 posts, read 6,748,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
We are indeed to Keep the commandments of Christ's Law (not Mosaic Law). What's the primary focus of Christ's Law? Serving OTHERS with Charity as they glorify GOD through us. We are to walk in the Spirit not the flesh (Galatians 5). The focus is on OTHERS not SELF.

Christ has given us liberty. That is such a beautiful word that has brought many to Christ. Look at Chuck Smith's success in his ministry? So called Hippies of the 70s coming to Christ being empowered by HIS Spirit to serve in Love producing fruit.

We are Saved, then we respond. We don't respond, than we are saved. That's not how it works. One must be "born again" baptized with the Holy Spirit until they can produce fruit "keeping the commandments" of Christ.
Indeed.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 AM

4,534 posts, read 1,336,628 times
To further the discussion, take the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. The Pharisee reminds God that he has kept all God's commandments (although in reality, no one really does. For this see Romans 3. No one is righteous, no not one.) The "sinner" humbles himself and confesses his sin, and asks for forgiveness. Jesus says clearly the Tax Collector is the one who walked out justified, not the Pharisee. People who are trusting in their own righteousness are like the Pharisees in the NT, and the Gospels do not look upon them kindly at all.

Here's another text.
Phil 3:7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.
Phil 3:8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ Phil 3:9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

Remember Paul in this text talks about his former life as a "righteous Pharisee, according to the law.
That righteousness he now considers "rubbish, garbage, trash, refuse." After all, if salvation is a gift, as the NT clearly does, then how can it be earned through good works??

Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM

Can't rep you Prairie but I vow to do it when I can.

On second thought, this thread tells me that's not such a good thing to do.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 PM

9,111 posts, read 4,469,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...if you want eternal life with God the Father in heaven, you must...no matter what you may have been taught all of your life...and no matter what you may believe otherwise...if it is contrary to the word of God in the command to keep His Ten Commandments...INCLUDING the 4th one, to keep the Sabbath day holy unto God...Verna.
Verna my friend...that is just not so. The law has a purpose, but it's not the instrument that is used for people's salvation. I'm not saying that we can ignore it, but the law does not save........ only by grace through faith does.

And I know that you know my response, but I'm compelled to say it anyway:

Galatians 2:21
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Romans 3:20
Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

Romans 3:28
For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law.

Romans 4:14-15
For if those who live by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless because law brings wrath. ....

__________________________________________________ _

Romans 10:4
Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

Galatians 3:11
Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.”

Galatians 3:18
For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

Galatians 3:24
So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:18 PM

2,258 posts, read 737,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post

Lee, the law of Christ is the love that is behind/drives the law/commandments. In Christ we keep the law/fullfil the law because we are filled with the love that empowers the law of Moses. Jesus said, "I have not come to do away with the law but to fullfil it." Love will not steal, bare false witness or lightly break any of Gods commandments. Even the law of the Sabbath is kept but in a new way for all need their rest but it is differant for each now adays. Only the temple service and tempory ordinances where done away with.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:28 PM

The Law requires much, but offers no help in the carrying out of its requirements. The Lord Jesus requires just as much, yea even more (Matt. 5:21-48), but what He requires from us He himself carries out in us. The law makes demands and leaves us helpless to fulfill them; Christ makes demands, but He himself fulfills in us the very demands He makes.

This is abiding, that He Himself becomes our life. If Jesus in His earthly form would say it, how much more should we say the same?

I can of mine own self do nothing, the Father that dwelleth in me - He doeth the works.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:13 PM

2,258 posts, read 737,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The Law requires much, but offers no help in the carrying out of its requirements. The Lord Jesus requires just as much, yea even more (Matt. 5:21-48), but what He requires from us He himself carries out in us. The law makes demands and leaves us helpless to fulfill them; Christ makes demands, but He himself fulfills in us the very demands He makes.

This is abiding, that He Himself becomes our life. If Jesus in His earthly form would say it, how much more should we say the same?

I can of mine own self do nothing, the Father that dwelleth in me - He doeth the works.
Very well said. You have a good mind in Christ!

Old 03-17-2012, 07:53 PM

661 posts, read 215,059 times
Quote:

The Law had been replaced by grace from that point forever more.

If we focus on the law, we will be condemned; the law cannot make the best of us righteous. Grace on the other hand makes the worst of us righteous.
The opposite of "law" is not "grace", as you imply here.... The opposite of
law is... lawlessness.

If law were done away with, then there would be no such thing as sin.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:56 AM

5,893 posts, read 2,603,515 times
Quote:
Peter boasted of his love for the Lord:

“Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!” (Mat 26:35).

Seems like someone denied Him three times before the rooster crowed...

We see another illustration at the Supper when Peter wanted to know who it was that would betray Jesus - he had to motion to John (the one who boasted of the Lord's love for him) who was reclined against Jesus' breast (symbolizing closeness) to get revelation.

The one who boasted of his love for the Lord was always far away, and the one who boasted of the Lord's love for him was always near (at the Cross, woman behold your son - he was the only disciple remaining).

This is real love—not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins. (1 John 4:10)

After the resurrection, Jesus took Peter, James and John away privately - this was no coincidence. These three represented the changing of the Covenant:

Peter - stone (the Law)
James - supplanting (replacing)
John - grace

The Law had been replaced by grace from that point forever more.

If we focus on the law, we will be condemned; the law cannot make the best of us righteous. Grace on the other hand makes the worst of us righteous.
Excellent post, Little Elmer. If the law could save anyone, there would be no need for grace. I'm not sure why some people are so hard-wired against receiving God's grace. Perhaps it just seems too good to be true.

The bible records some who "believed not for joy.

Even until this moment they did not believe because of their joy, and they were awe-stricken. He said to them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” Luke 24:41
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity