U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-18-2012, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 2,543,131 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Wrong.

You and others who rebel against God's word fail to rightly divide the word of God mzjamiedawn...and that is because you and they are unable to understand the truth, for God has not revealed it to you and them because of your lack of faith. ...and for that I am truly sorry....but keep reading and listening...maybe one day...eventually...one of you...or some of you....I wish that all of you, will come to the knowledge of the truth in Christ Jesus.

...blessings.
Instead of feeling sorry for me, how about you actually discuss the verses at hand? If these are not saying "faith, not law"...you tell me what it means.

All of Galatians 3 is awesome. Here are some highlights:

10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

If the above verses are not saying "faith, not law"...what is it saying?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 3,861,692 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
Dear little elmer, I appreciate where you are coming from, however it is vital that we understand that wherever the term "law" is used in the new testament, it is not always referring to the 613 laws and ordinances given to Israel. This is absolutely essential in order to understand the obedience God requires of us.

When I say "law" I am not talking about "Law" as in those 613 commandments. I am saying that obedience and sin are completely meaningless concepts if there is no law for Christians. We are not forgiven of sins by our attempts to obey God. However, once we are forgiven of our past sins, we are given God's Spirit, and by His grace we are set free from slavery to sin, empowered to walk in newness of life, to die daily to ourselves, and to fulfill the "righteous requirement of the law".

If sin is transgression of the law, and we are not "under law" (any law?), then how can that definition of sin have any meaning? No, we are not under the Law that was added because of transgression. We are, however, under the law of Christ, and able to fulfil it because of God's grace, which we access by faith.

Blessings
Stephanie
...beautiful truth Steph...thank you so much...God Bless you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 3,861,692 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Instead of feeling sorry for me, how about you actually discuss the verses at hand? If these are not saying "faith, not law"...you tell me what it means.

All of Galatians 3 is awesome. Here are some highlights:

10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them. 11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

If the above verses are not saying "faith, not law"...what is it saying?
...........aren't you the very one who made this statement earlier...?......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I'm afraid you'll find no one can quote just scripture and let you figure it out on your own. Everyone will always add their two cents in.
...........so.....here's Scripture in all of its pure truth......without my "2 cents" added......figure it out on your own. Sorry to seem so harsh......but you set the standards for yourself here mzjamiedawn...not me...It's pretty clear though.....

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My Commandments."
John 14:15 - King James Version.

John, Jesus' precious disciple, who loved Him dearly and faithfully, spoke through the precious Holy Spirit, telling us what this "love" is..."For this is the love of God, that we keep His Commandments: and they are not grievous."
1 John 5:3 - King James version.

In order to have the slightest hope of life eternal, John tells us what is required of us...he states under the power of the Holy Spirit, "And He taught me and said to me, “Confirm my word in your heart; keep my commandments and live, and my law like the pupils of the eyes.”
Proverbs 7:2 - Aramaic Bible in Plain English.

To abide IN the love of God, John teaches us how to be loved by Him..."If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and I abide in his love.”
John 15:10 - Aramaic Bible in Plain English.




The Ten Commandments
Exodus 20:1-20.


And God spake all these words, saying, I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.


*Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
*Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
*Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
***Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, ...nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
*Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
*Thou shalt not kill.
*Thou shalt not commit adultery.
*Thou shalt not steal.
*Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
*Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife,...nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off. And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die. And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.




I pray to God you read these words with an open heart and hearken unto Him who speaks them.

God Bless you.



Love in Christ Jesus,
Verna.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 2,543,131 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...........aren't you the very one who made this statement earlier...?......



...........so.....here's Scripture in all of its pure truth......without my "2 cents" added......figure it out on your own. Sorry to seem so harsh......but you set the standards for yourself here mzjamiedawn...not me...It's pretty clear though.....

Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My Commandments."
John 14:15 - King James Version.

John, Jesus' precious disciple, who loved Him dearly and faithfully, spoke through the precious Holy Spirit, telling us what this "love" is..."For this is the love of God, that we keep His Commandments: and they are not grievous."
1 John 5:3 - King James version.

In order to have the slightest hope of life eternal, John tells us what is required of us...he states under the power of the Holy Spirit, "And He taught me and said to me, “Confirm my word in your heart; keep my commandments and live, and my law like the pupils of the eyes.”
Proverbs 7:2 - Aramaic Bible in Plain English.

To abide IN the love of God, John teaches us how to be loved by Him..."If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and I abide in his love.”
John 15:10 - Aramaic Bible in Plain English.




The Ten Commandments
Exodus 20:1-20.


And God spake all these words, saying, I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.


*Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
*Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
*Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
***Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, ...nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
*Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
*Thou shalt not kill.
*Thou shalt not commit adultery.
*Thou shalt not steal.
*Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
*Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife,...nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off. And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die. And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.




I pray to God you read these words with an open heart and hearken unto Him who speaks them.

God Bless you.



Love in Christ Jesus,
Verna.
No Verna. You don't get off that easy. I didn't ask you to give me only scripture, as the other person did. I asked for you to tell me what Galatians is saying to you. You say my interpretation is wrong. Tell me how it's wrong by telling me what it means.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 10:19 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 3,861,692 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
No Verna. You don't get off that easy. I didn't ask you to give me only scripture, as the other person did. I asked for you to tell me what Galatians is saying to you. You say my interpretation is wrong. Tell me how it's wrong by telling me what it means.
...oh no mzjamiedawn...this is my thread...and we'll stick to my OP.

First, you tell me what the following Scripture is saying to you...


Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My Commandments."
John 14:15 - King James Version.

John, Jesus' precious disciple, who loved Him dearly and faithfully, spoke through the precious Holy Spirit, telling us what this "love" is..."For this is the love of God, that we keep His Commandments: and they are not grievous."
1 John 5:3 - King James version.

In order to have the slightest hope of life eternal, John tells us what is required of us...he states under the power of the Holy Spirit, "And He taught me and said to me, “Confirm my word in your heart; keep my commandments and live, and my law like the pupils of the eyes.”
Proverbs 7:2 - Aramaic Bible in Plain English.

To abide IN the love of God, John teaches us how to be loved by Him..."If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and I abide in his love.”
John 15:10 - Aramaic Bible in Plain English.




The Ten Commandments
Exodus 20:1-20.


And God spake all these words, saying, I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.


*Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
*Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
*Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
***Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, ...nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
*Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
*Thou shalt not kill.
*Thou shalt not commit adultery.
*Thou shalt not steal.
*Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
*Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife,...nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off. And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die. And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.



... blessings.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 PM
 
3,602 posts, read 1,636,446 times
Reputation: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...the gospel according to lee I'll pass.

...instead, I'll stand upon the Gospel according to the Word of The Living God...for He says, "For this is the love of God, that we keep His Commandments: and they are not grievous."
1 John 5:3 - King James version.

blessings.
Not the Gospel according to Lee. It is the Gospel according to Luke who wrote the book of Acts and all the rest of the Apostles.

Acts 15

5But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

6And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.

7And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

8And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;

9And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

10Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

11But we believe that through the grace of the LORD Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

12Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.

13And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

14Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

15And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

16After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

17That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

18Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

19Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

21For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

22Then pleased it the apostles and elders with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas and Silas, chief men among the brethren:

23And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia.

24Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

25It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,

26Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

27We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.

28For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;

29That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Galatians 3

10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

15Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.

16Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

17And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

18For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

19Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.


Galatians 1

6I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.



The "other gospel" specifically accursed by Paul in the epistle to the Galatians is the adding of "Keeping the Law" for Justification in addition to Faith.

Obedience to Christ's Law is a Fruit from Justification not a Basis For Justification. We are under Christ's Law not Moses Law which Christ fulfilled and REDEEMED us from.

Those adding the Law to their Justification are considered Adulterers (Spiritually). We have died to the Law, and we are Alive to Christ - dead to the letter, alive to the Spirit.

Romans 7

1Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

4Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.


5For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

6But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

We are in bondage to EACH OTHER not the LAW.

It's easier to Focus on self than to reach out to others. The Law is self-focused. Love is OTHER focused. We are indeed to keep the commandments OF CHRIST.

Isaiah 42

1Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

2He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

3A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

4He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.


We keep HIS commandments because we Love him. We will be rewarded or suffer loss depending upon our faithfulness TO HIM.

The Sabbath is a beautiful thing and it'd be wonderful to celebrate it, but it is DESTROYED when people are celebrating in for a basis for JUSTIFICATION. It's legalistic focusing on self when we need to be focused on LOVE service toward OTHERS.

Galatians 5:16
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Focusing on SIN drives the desire to SIN.

Romans 5:20
Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

Interestingly the Law resulted in an INCREASE of offense. Paul says this is partly why it entered. In that in the end GRACE will much more abound.

Focus on the beauty of living for God in Christ, his promises, the millennium, serving others, loving the Spirit, and you won't sin. Focus on SIN, and what do you want to do? SIN!

Put a sign on the lawn don't step on the Grass and what do you want to do? Step on the grass.

It's so sad so many don't get it. Like I said, I'd love to find a place to celebrate the Sabbath. The problem is all the groups I find doing this are attempting to Justify themselves by "Keeping the Law". We are Justified by faith in Christ alone. By being Born-again being "Justified" we now have the Spirit that empowers us to "walk in the Spirit" so we do not "fulfill the lusts of the flesh". Spirit-led faith-based "Works" produces fruit.

God wants fruit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Tulsa
2,529 posts, read 2,543,131 times
Reputation: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...oh no mzjamiedawn...this is my thread...and we'll stick to my OP.

First, you tell me what the following Scripture is saying to you...


Jesus said, "If ye love Me, keep My Commandments."
John 14:15 - King James Version.

\"For this is the love of God, that we keep His Commandments: and they are not grievous."
1 John 5:3 - King James version.

"And He taught me and said to me, “Confirm my word in your heart; keep my commandments and live, and my law like the pupils of the eyes.”
Proverbs 7:2 - Aramaic Bible in Plain English.

"If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commands and I abide in his love.”
John 15:10 - Aramaic Bible in Plain English.
Fair enough. I believe the commandments are any commands that Jesus gave while on this earth.

Your turn.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 3,861,692 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Not the Gospel according to Lee. It is the Gospel according to Luke who wrote the book of Acts and all the rest of the Apostles.

Acts 15

5But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.

6And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.

7And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

8And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;

9And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.

10Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?

11But we believe that through the grace of the LORD Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

12Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.

13And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:

14Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

15And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

16After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

17That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

18Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

19Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:

20But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

21For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

22Then pleased it the apostles and elders with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas and Silas, chief men among the brethren:

23And they wrote letters by them after this manner; The apostles and elders and brethren send greeting unto the brethren which are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia.

24Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:

25It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,

26Men that have hazarded their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

27We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth.

28For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;

29That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Galatians 3

10For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

11But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

12And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

13Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

15Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.

16Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

17And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.

18For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

19Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Galatians 1

6I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.


The "other gospel" specifically accursed by Paul in the epistle to the Galatians is the adding of "Keeping the Law" for Justification in addition to Faith.

Obedience to Christ's Law is a Fruit from Justification not a Basis For Justification. We are under Christ's Law not Moses Law which Christ fulfilled and REDEEMED us from.

Those adding the Law to their Justification are considered Adulterers (Spiritually). We have died to the Law, and we are Alive to Christ - dead to the letter, alive to the Spirit.

Romans 7

1Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

4Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

5For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

6But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

We are in bondage to EACH OTHER not the LAW.

It's easier to Focus on self than to reach out to others. The Law is self-focused. Love is OTHER focused. We are indeed to keep the commandments OF CHRIST.

Isaiah 42

1Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

2He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

3A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

4He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.

We keep HIS commandments because we Love him. We will be rewarded or suffer loss depending upon our faithfulness TO HIM.

The Sabbath is a beautiful thing and it'd be wonderful to celebrate it, but it is DESTROYED when people are celebrating in for a basis for JUSTIFICATION. It's legalistic focusing on self when we need to be focused on LOVE service toward OTHERS.

Galatians 5:16
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Focusing on SIN drives the desire to SIN.

Romans 5:20
Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

Interestingly the Law resulted in an INCREASE of offense. Paul says this is partly why it entered. In that in the end GRACE will much more abound.

Focus on the beauty of living for God in Christ, his promises, the millennium, serving others, loving the Spirit, and you won't sin. Focus on SIN, and what do you want to do? SIN!

Put a sign on the lawn don't step on the Grass and what do you want to do? Step on the grass.

It's so sad so many don't get it. Like I said, I'd love to find a place to celebrate the Sabbath. The problem is all the groups I find doing this are attempting to Justify themselves by "Keeping the Law". We are Justified by faith in Christ alone. By being Born-again being "Justified" we now have the Spirit that empowers us to "walk in the Spirit" so we do not "fulfill the lusts of the flesh". Spirit-led faith-based "Works" produces fruit.

God wants fruit.
lee...re-write the entire Bible here on this thread if that is what makes you happy...but it doesn't change a single word of truth that comes from every word you quote...you do not read His truth with understanding....truth has been veiled from you by God because of your lack of faith...you believe in the traditions of man and what man has filled your head with...and not of the commands of God and His will for your life.


...blessings to you lee.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 PM
 
3,602 posts, read 1,636,446 times
Reputation: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Lee, we finally agree! That's a nice surprise.

Heartsong


Uh oh what'd I say wrong.

1 Peter 4:8
And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.

Nope it's correct. Had to check another witness.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2012, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,966 posts, read 2,857,329 times
Reputation: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
To further the discussion, take the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. The Pharisee reminds God that he has kept all God's commandments (although in reality, no one really does. For this see Romans 3. No one is righteous, no not one.) The "sinner" humbles himself and confesses his sin, and asks for forgiveness. Jesus says clearly the Tax Collector is the one who walked out justified, not the Pharisee. People who are trusting in their own righteousness are like the Pharisees in the NT, and the Gospels do not look upon them kindly at all.

Here's another text.
Phil 3:7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.
Phil 3:8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ Phil 3:9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

Remember Paul in this text talks about his former life as a "righteous Pharisee, according to the law.
That righteousness he now considers "rubbish, garbage, trash, refuse." After all, if salvation is a gift, as the NT clearly does, then how can it be earned through good works??
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top