Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Absolutely.
1. We were taught that the leadership was perfect, errorless, and sinless.
2. Our parents were taught by them what to teach and not to teach us.
3. We were deliberately kept naive -- called innocense, they thought it was a virtue.
4. My parents, under threat of hell, complied.
You went to the WRONG church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Any group which claims that their leaders are sinless and who demand obedience to the group is not a church, but a cult.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Any group which claims that their leaders are sinless and who demand obedience to the group is not a church, but a cult.
Exactly. Wrong place! A true church will never, ever do that! Disgusting. I hate that there are so many churches not being lead by God.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sounds like a cult more than a church, and it is strange you did not learn anything from your friends or in school, but I suppose anything can happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
It was a cult. I was reared in it and, unfortunately, married into it and reared my children in it. They taught my parents to kill curiosity, and they did. We didn't dare question anything, and thoughts, to keep safe, were squelched. They taught my parents that we were not to be educated after high school, and high school was not necessary.

Oh, I signed the permission slips so I could attend the sex education movies, thinking i would learn something, but that was in the '60s. All I remember from the movies was little girls on bikes, giggling. I was unimpressed, and I learned nothing.

Friends? They chose my friends, and we moved a lot, so I could not become attached, so Mother did not get in trouble.

Books? They were not in the library I went to. I did receive one by mail from Kotex, but Mother cut the pictures and some of the writing out befor I saw it.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:30 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
If the religious right were really against kids born out of wedlock they would stop pushing this abstinence only sex education nonsense, and start encouraging the use of protection and sex ed classes that teach how to properly use protection and encouraging making protection readily available. They can still preach their no sex outside of marriage stuff, too, but research shows when kids plan for abstinence, they don't have protection with them when they end up having un-planned for sex and it results in a lot of pregnancies.
Regardless research shows that their frontal lobe isn't fully develop until they are in their mid-20s. Even if you raised your child to know right and wrong, acceptance is more important to them than making the right decision. IMO the biggest influence is peer influence and they have the choice to respond to that influence.

The only nonsense thing about abstinence education is when you have the wrong tools. I had a classmate who did a presentation on Abstinence Education, but my only concern was her information which was all facts. I like them, but facts doesn't help students to understand why abstinence is effective. There was something about her presentation that didn't convince me to agree with her even though I'm all for abstinence. I do agree with you that we should still teach them how to use protection if abstinence isn't for them. However, I prefer to aim for abstinence if necessary.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
The source of the issue is belief/a reality that God is real not an ancillary insurance policy abstraction. There is no need for sex education classes when there is the fear of God.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:58 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
The source of the issue is belief/a reality that God is real not an ancillary insurance policy abstraction. There is no need for sex education classes when there is the fear of God.
So fear is the best motivator? Not love? Not moral center?

Yeah that's right... hell fire and damnation.... that's what it takes........

To repeat the crux of the argument... the message of Jesus is LOVE!

Love God, love your neighbor, and by golly love your enemy!

Simple. Elegant. Profound.

No more hate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity