Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:11 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Christians love to Consult the Dead...oh wait that is right he was resurrected so hmm...that would be a spirit...
Why are you here? You are an accuser, your words are not of the Father.

John 8:42 Jesus replied, If God were your Father, you would love me (Jesus, my emphasis) for I have come from God and am now here. I have not come on my own initiative, but he sent me. 8:43 Why don’t you understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot accept my teaching. 8:44 You people are from your father the devil, and you want to do what your father desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not uphold the truth, because there is no truth in him. Whenever he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies. 8:45 But because I am telling you the truth, you do not believe me. 8:46 Who among you can prove me guilty of any sin? If I am telling you the truth, why don’t you believe me? 8:47 The one who belongs to God listens and responds to God’s words. You don’t listen and respond, because you don’t belong to God.”

I pray your heart softens... for clearly it is hard. Jesus tells us to bless his enemies... and therefore I do.

Your posts are baiting and combative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:57 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Why are you here? You are an accuser, your words are not of the Father.

John 8:42 Jesus replied, If God were your Father, you would love me (Jesus, my emphasis) for I have come from God and am now here. I have not come on my own initiative, but he sent me. 8:43 Why don’t you understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot accept my teaching. 8:44 You people are from your father the devil, and you want to do what your father desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not uphold the truth, because there is no truth in him. Whenever he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of lies. 8:45 But because I am telling you the truth, you do not believe me. 8:46 Who among you can prove me guilty of any sin? If I am telling you the truth, why don’t you believe me? 8:47 The one who belongs to God listens and responds to God’s words. You don’t listen and respond, because you don’t belong to God.”

I pray your heart softens... for clearly it is hard. Jesus tells us to bless his enemies... and therefore I do.

Your posts are baiting and combative.
So again your denial of the Old Testament proves to me your argument is flawed. Second you do not understand John 8. John 8 31To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." ....So Jesus is speaking to the people that believe in him which he calls them the children of the devil. I love it when a Christian is challenge on scripture and they accuse the other person of being of the devil. To me personally you can call me what you want but the sad thing is you will continue to question your beliefs because the Old Testament contradicts the new that is why Christian removed it from there practices.

Also in John 8:54 Jesus calls himself I am. So he is claiming to be god but he Miss interrupted the scripture. Exodus 3:14. God said to Moses, "Ehyeh asher ehyeh (I will be what I will be)," and He said, "So shall you say to the children of Israel, 'Ehyeh (I will be) has sent me to you.'"
So Jesus was God but he could not quote his own scriptures correctly? What god was saying to Moses is that I will be with you. Not that I am as the existence of god in human form.
This is what God said exodus 20 1. God spoke all these words, to respond:
2. "I am the Lord, your God, Who took you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3. You shall not have the gods of others in My presence.
4. You shall not make for yourself a graven image or any likeness which is in the heavens above, which is on the earth below, or which is in the water beneath the earth.
5. You shall neither prostrate yourself before them nor worship them, for I, the Lord, your God, am a zealous God, Who visits the iniquity of the fathers upon the sons, upon the third and the fourth generation of those who hate Me,
6. and [i] perform loving kindness to thousands [of generations], to those who love Me and to those who keep My commandments.

This what God says in Deut 4:1. And now, O Israel, hearken to the statutes and to the judgments which I teach you to do, in order that you may live, and go in and possess the land which the Lord, God of your forefathers, is giving you.
2. Do not add to the word which I command you, nor diminish from it, to observe the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you....He said do not add...The Christians added the new Testament..(Wow that breaks god commandment.)

Look at this deut 4 : 12. The Lord spoke to you out of the midst of the fire; you heard the sound of the words, but saw no image, just a voice. 13. And He told you His covenant, which He commanded you to do, the Ten Commandments, and He inscribed them on two stone tablets.
14. And the Lord commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and ordinances, so that you should do them in the land to which you are crossing, to possess. 15. And you shall watch yourselves very well, for you did not see any image on the day that the Lord spoke to you at Horeb from the midst of the fire.16. Lest you become corrupt and make for yourselves a graven image, the representation of any form, the likeness of male or female.(...what no images Male or female hmmm...I wonder why? May be god is not a MAN which is stated over and over in the Old Testament.) he goes on...17. The likeness of any beast that is on the earth ( Jesus is a Lamb and a lion ), the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the heaven (eagle), 18. The likeness of anything that crawls on the ground, the likeness of any fish (Jesus uses a fish symbol) that is in the waters, beneath the earth.
19. And lest you lift up your eyes to heaven, and see the sun, and the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, which the Lord your God assigned to all peoples under the entire heaven, and be drawn away to prostrate yourselves before them and worship them.

You also called me a baiter; I am debating and nothing more. You want to say the bible is gods instructions and the first 5 books are of Moses but when god command people not to do something so specific it describes what people are doing in Christianity as wrong I have to challenge there reasons why. But you will tell me that those instructions weren't for Christians or it is not describing Jesus. I personally believe that to be lame excuses. God instructions were binding forever and they were for all to follow that wants to be blessed. God made his laws very clear and so direct you can not deny what he says but Christian’s minds have been so polluted from this.

I want to challenge everyone on here for a second. Think long and hard. When was the last time you went to church or turned on the sermon on tv and they talked about the old testament frequently and not any thing to do with end times. I am talking actual biblical studying of the Old Testament. You probably can not answer yes to that. Why is that? I have a couple of reasons. 1 Christians believe because Paul stated that you do not have to practice Moses laws that mean the OT is mostly negated. (Which the Old Testament makes it clear that it laws are forever and nothing negates them not even the messiah.)2. Most of the stories do not surround Jesus so they are not worth talking about. 3. Most pastors do not understand the Old Testament as well as the New Testament so they do not preach what they can not comprehend.

Jesus tells us to kill our enemies Luke 19: 27But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me." Jesus say you should forgive but look at what he says to his disciples Matthew 26:24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."
Jesus also commanded people to turn the other cheek but he did 20"I have spoken openly to the world," Jesus replied. "I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret. 21Why question me? Ask those who heard me. Surely they know what I said."
22When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby struck him in the face. "Is this the way you answer the high priest?" he demanded.
23"If I said something wrong," Jesus replied, "testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?" 24Then Annas sent him, still bound, to Caiaphas the high priest.[b]

Lastly, please do not pray for me. Pray for yourself that you may have the wisdom and understand of what the true God is?

Old 02-22-2008, 11:43 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I want to challenge everyone on here for a second. Think long and hard. When was the last time you went to church or turned on the sermon on tv and they talked about the old testament frequently and not any thing to do with end times. I am talking actual biblical studying of the Old Testament. You probably can not answer yes to that.
You couldn't be farther from The Truth.

I've been in a an OT bible study for some time and our SS curriculum at the church I am a member of and teach an adult class is in the Old Testament for the first 6 months of 2008.(I haven't looked past June at my curriculum, so it may go longer than that.) I'm in a mainline denominational church and certainly not one that would be considered an exception.

Challenge met, next question, please.

You seem to make many assumptions on what you think you know, but you don't realize that you don't know what you don't know.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

I've been in a an OT bible study for some time and our SS curriculum at the church I am a member of and teach an adult class is in the Old Testament for the first 6 months of 2008.(I haven't looked past June at my curriculum, so it may go longer than that.) I'm in a mainline denominational church and certainly not one that would be considered an exception.

You seem to make many assumptions on what you think you know, but you don't realize that you don't know what you don't know.
In addition.... the current Bible readings and study posted on this site are in Deut. I'm sure I'm not the only one reading them.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Knowing what to do and following it are two different things.If the doing was simple then we would be thinner and more healthy. But we are all sinners and struggle with everything thru life.Life is a struggle and being christian is a struggle.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post

My Sunday School Class has also had many months of lessons out of the Old Testament.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
i am not sure where the 'you guys don't believe in the old testament' thing is going, cuz christianity obviously does. true, some people emphasize it more than others. Christ did not say, 'k, you guys are cool to kill, adulterate, lie, and steal, as long as you love Me, and your neighbor.' He said, that if you look at a woman with lust, you have already adulterated in your heart. He did not throw out the law, a law that was supposed to be preparatory to His coming. He expanded on it. it is still with us, but in a way that is supposed to be internalized. the old testament still has a very profound impact in the lives of christians everywhere.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:44 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,533 times
I will never forget seeing a picture of Jesus with the quote on it, "I never said it would be easy.....I only said it would be worth it."

Old 02-23-2008, 12:15 AM

37 posts, read 103,870 times
I am sure glad that we all showed the OP the simplicity of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am sure they are relieved now.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:07 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,402,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowthewhisp View Post
I think we do often tend to over complicate things. The Gospel should be very plain and simple. Repent of past sins, accept Jesus' atonement and try to live with him as your example. If you mess up and do something wrong - repent again and accept forgiveness. I think that's the basics.
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity