U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:00 PM

29,328 posts, read 19,378,515 times

Advertisements

Many of us unfortunately have, and some I guess still struggle with the fear of it, even though they have heard and seen the truth of the universal reconciliation.

There are many threads on this forum that if you read with an open heart will help you overcome the hell you may be going through in believing in eternal torment. It would be a huge step If you could just get over your fear that God is not pleased with you or against you for asking questions, asking questions is not questioning God, He knows your heart. It may cost you your church membership, it may cost you your Christian friends, but the burden of the belief of eternal torment being lifted from your shoulders and the joy, peace and liberty knowing that He is the Savior of all,more than compensates the loss .

I would also like to say with there being no eternal torment, Jesus Christ remains the same yesterday, today and to the ages. He is your Savior, He is the revealer of God our Father and He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM

7,705 posts, read 6,438,430 times
Jesus said in Matthew 24: 23-26...``Then if any man will say to you Look here is Christ, or there, believe it not..for there will arise false Christ, and false prophets, and show great signs and wonders in so much that if it were possible , they will deceive the very elect.... I have told you before...Where if they will say to you , He is is the desert, go not forth, he is in the secret chamber, believe it not ``...... ... See Jesus said in Matthew 4: 17...``Repent for the kingdom of heaven is a hand `` which means Jesus is available to know Him and He is right there, Just go a do what Jesus commanded us to do to find Him.....

Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Jesus said in Matthew 24: 23-26...``Then if any man will say to you Look here is Christ, or there, believe it not..for there will arise false Christ, and false prophets, and show great signs and wonders in so much that if it were possible , they will deceive the very elect...
...and then came the Dark Ages.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:29 PM

5,170 posts, read 3,625,535 times
At this point in my life, I have to wonder why the hell fire and eternal damnation find it so important that there IS a hell.

Are they like Dante, living to put their enemies in hell? Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-24-2012 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: inappropriate response

Old 03-23-2012, 04:53 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,552,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Many of us unfortunately have, and some I guess still struggle with the fear of it, even though they have heard and seen the truth of the universal reconciliation.

There are many threads on this forum that if you read with an open heart will help you overcome the hell you may be going through in believing in eternal torment. It would be a huge step If you could just get over your fear that God is not pleased with you or against you for asking questions, asking questions is not questioning God, He knows your heart. It may cost you your church membership, it may cost you your Christian friends, but the burden of the belief of eternal torment being lifted from your shoulders and the joy, peace and liberty knowing that He is the Savior of all,more than compensates the loss .

I would also like to say with there being no eternal torment, Jesus Christ remains the same yesterday, today and to the ages. He is your Savior, He is the revealer of God our Father and He is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

The only thing I believe differently than you, Pcamps, is that Jesus was crucified because he didn't save the Jews as they wanted him to. He only saves us to the extent that we apply his teachings... especially the teaching that the kingdom (experience) of God is within us. (Luke 17:21)
So simple, but how many of us continue "lookin' for love in all the wrong places"?
IMO, this is what the story of Jesus talking with the woman at the well, was about.

We don't go to heaven or hell... We grow to heaven or hell.
And heaven & hell are subjective. "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 PM

29,328 posts, read 19,378,515 times
The good news is ........You're not going there just because you don't believe in it.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 PM

6,220 posts, read 6,294,085 times
Quote:

Good OP pcamps. I think many do believe it simply because that is all they have known, and then presented with something else they are too afraid to question their own belief. It is a doctrine of fear, that is certain.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,899,866 times
The message of Christ is two fold. Repent and believe the Gospel and you will receive favor and Grace to live for God and not come into condemnation on the judgment day or continue in your sin and be judged on the last day. Many want to make it only one message and take from the whole council of God. Every Soul is different and dealt with by God according to what they need to hear. God resists the proud but gives Grace to humble.

MT 11:16-26 "But where unto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows, And saying, We have piped unto you, and you have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and you have not lamented. For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He has a devil [because he preached the judgment to come]. The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners [because He drew the humble and repentant with love]. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not: Woe unto you, Chorazin! woe unto you, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you. And you, Capernaum, which is exalted unto heaven, shall be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in you, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for you.

At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank you, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hid these things from the wise and prudent, and has revealed them unto babes. Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in your sight."

His two fold work is the same today but some want it only one way! God is too wise for that.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 PM

6,220 posts, read 6,294,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
The message of Christ is two fold. Repent and believe the Gospel and you will receive favor and Grace to live for God and not come into condemnation on the judgment day or continue in your sin and be judged on the last day. Many want to make it only one message and take from the whole council of God. Every Soul is different and dealt with by God according to what they need to hear. God resists the proud but gives Grace to humble.

MT 11:16-26 "But where unto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows, And saying, We have piped unto you, and you have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and you have not lamented. For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He has a devil [because he preached the judgment to come]. The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners [because He drew the humble and repentant with love]. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not: Woe unto you, Chorazin! woe unto you, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you. And you, Capernaum, which is exalted unto heaven, shall be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in you, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day. But I say unto you, That it shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for you.

At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank you, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hid these things from the wise and prudent, and has revealed them unto babes. Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in your sight."

His two fold work is the same today but some want it only one way! God is too wise for that.
Amen to all of that, but all of that has nothing to do with eternal torment. That idea is inserted into the text.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 PM

7,941 posts, read 9,547,280 times
Quote:

The repeated characterization of believers who clearly see hell and eternal separation from God in scripture ... as "Fearing eternal torment and hell' are only imaginary. Why would we fear hell and torment (for ourselves)? This presumption seems largely based on a "whistle a happy tune and ignore anything I don't like or understand in scripture theology".

Similarly, I'm not sure that those who do not believe the Bible ... fear hell or eternal separation from God, since they have largely chosen to believe that truth is whatever they believe it is.

The thing I find confusing is that those who are the most insistent on "no hell or condemnation" ... seem to base their beliefs on isolated scriptures from the same Bible that repeatedly says that Satan, hell and condemnation are real. (Go figure?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or