Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 12:08 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lantern View Post
I notice a lot of Christians still feel like they must do something, or else they are not saved. They must be good and follow these sets of rules, and if you break them, you are no longer saved. Nothing can be further from the truth.

Firstly, Salvation is a gift. Have you ever received a present from someone (whether on your birthday, Christmas, etc.) and told them just as they are handing you the present, "Nope! I must first clean your house, wash your car, and cut your lawn, and then I can accept your present" ? Believe it or not, that is exactly what people tell God when they see His grace being extended toward them. They say they must get rid of their addictions, pray 20 times a day, and eat certain foods before they can receive salvation. It's no longer grace if we work for it, it is then debt.

Also, if someone gave us clothes for Christmas, do we just look at it day in and day out? Do we put it in a frame, and hang it on a wall? If someone gave you a baseball and a pair of baseball gloves for your birthday, would you just put it under your bed and leave it there for years on end? Or wouldn't it make more sense to wear the clothes, and throw the baseball with a friend or family member? Salvation and grace are that kind of gift. It's useful, and powerful. With God's grace, you can break those addictions. With it, you will have strength to get through some of the most impossible of situations, whatever the world may throw at you. Miracles will begin to happen with God's grace if you use it.

I thought about doing this topic after watching some National Geographic documentaries on our Amish brethren. I heard them teach on believing on Jesus, yet then there is a bunch of add on rules and regulations afterward. They isolate themselves from the world, seemingly afraid they will lose their salvation if they so much as thought about owning a car. So instead of living in the freedom God has given us, we once again put ourselves back into bondage and condemnation. (And Scripture says there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus)

Ultimately, God wants us to know that all of our sin is forgiven us through the shed blood of our Lord and Savior. Every sin past, present, and whatever future sin we may commit is forgiven us. God doesn't want us to even think about sin, but yet think about our righteousness in Christ. He wants us to renew our minds to dwell on things that are above. If I'm worried about whether or not I broke this law or that law, all I'm going to do is sin. Yet if my focus is on Christ and His righteousness, the gift that He gave me, that is what is going to come out of me. So Christians, use the gift God has given us. Don't tell God I got to do this, then I'm worthy of receiving it. Don't put God's gift on a wall or under your bed. Wear your salvation in Christ. Exercise your gift of grace (unmerited favor), and see how much God loves you when He singles you out with His blessings. (You are His beloved)
Good post Lantern. All the work of salvation was accomplished by Jesus Christ on the cross. There is no work that man can do to earn eternal life. The free gift of eternal life is taken possession of through non-meritorius faith alone in Christ alone. Simply trust in the finished work of Christ on the cross and eternal life is yours. He paid the penalty for every sin in the human race. He redeemed man from the slave market of sin. He propitiated the Father.

When a person believes on Jesus Christ he is imputed with the Righteousness of God and declared justified. He is also imputed with God's own eternal life.

Most people seem not to be able to distinguish between what is required to receive eternal life - which is simply to trust in Christ alone for it, and what is required to advance to spiritual maturity after having been eternally saved.

Eternal salvation requires no effort on your part. Simply believe on Christ. It's a one time event. One moment of faith in Christ and you are saved forever.

Advancing to spiritual maturity after eternal salvation does require effort on your part. Obedience, learning and applying the word of God to your life.

People get the two mixed up. Or they combine the two and make works a part of eternal salvation.

One cannot be grace oriented until he realizes that the gift of eternal life is absolutely free and that it is taken possession of through simple non-meritorious faith in Christ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

There are two ways, one of life and one of death, but a great difference between the two ways. The way of life, then, is this:

First, you shall love God who made you; second, love your neighbor as yourself, and do not do to another what you would not want done to you. And of these sayings the teaching is this:

Bless those who curse you, and pray for your enemies, and fast for those who persecute you. For what reward is there for loving those who love you? Do not the Gentiles do the same? But love those who hate you, and you shall not have an enemy.

Abstain from fleshly and worldly lusts.

If someone strikes your right cheek, turn to him the other also, and you shall be perfect.

If someone impresses you for one mile, go with him two. If someone takes your cloak, give him also your coat. If someone takes from you what is yours, ask it not back, for indeed you are not able.

Give to every one who asks you, and ask it not back; for the Father wills that to all should be given of our own blessings (free gifts).

Happy is he who gives according to the commandment

Let your money sweat in your hands, until you know to whom you should give.

The Didache

I am astounded at how little so-called Christians think about the misfortunes of others. It is always the ME, ME, ME syndrome and my own salvation and eternal life. They use Jesus to do 100% of the work and exclude of their lives what is the true Christian way of life.

Please go back and study The Sermon of the Mount and you will see what Christianity really is. It basically says the same thing as The Didache.
Oh, calm yourself down! He was simply addressing the fact that eternal life is the result of faith in Christ. He was not addressing the Christian life after salvation.

Last edited by Michael Way; 03-24-2012 at 12:22 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 12:22 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

There are two ways, one of life and one of death, but a great difference between the two ways. The way of life, then, is this:

First, you shall love God who made you; second, love your neighbor as yourself, and do not do to another what you would not want done to you. And of these sayings the teaching is this:

Bless those who curse you, and pray for your enemies, and fast for those who persecute you. For what reward is there for loving those who love you? Do not the Gentiles do the same? But love those who hate you, and you shall not have an enemy.

Abstain from fleshly and worldly lusts.

If someone strikes your right cheek, turn to him the other also, and you shall be perfect.

If someone impresses you for one mile, go with him two. If someone takes your cloak, give him also your coat. If someone takes from you what is yours, ask it not back, for indeed you are not able.

Give to every one who asks you, and ask it not back; for the Father wills that to all should be given of our own blessings (free gifts).

Happy is he who gives according to the commandment

Let your money sweat in your hands, until you know to whom you should give.

The Didache

I am astounded at how little so-called Christians think about the misfortunes of others. It is always the ME, ME, ME syndrome and my own salvation and eternal life. They use Jesus to do 100% of the work and exclude of their lives what is the true Christian way of life.

Please go back and study The Sermon of the Mount and you will see what Christianity really is. It basically says the same thing as The Didache.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Oh, calm yourself down and go eat a cookie. He was simply addressing the fact that eternal life is the result of faith in Christ. He was not addressing the Christian life after salvation.
Salvation has nothing to do with us. Christ achieved it for us all. Our task is to achieve sanctification under the grace and love of Christ through "love of God and each other" daily and repentance when we don't so we will mature our "embryo Spirit" sufficiently to be reborn as Spirit . . . as Christ was. We will reap what we sow . . . but we are "saved as by fire.".

Last edited by MysticPhD; 03-24-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 01:06 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Oh, calm yourself down! He was simply addressing the fact that eternal life is the result of faith in Christ. He was not addressing the Christian life after salvation.
Oh yeah. Read post no 11 in the thread.

Those that desire immortality often ignore the sermon of the mount which is the fundamental teaching of Christianity.

The reason Christianity spread to the world was the message of Christ summarized in the sermon of the mount. That is what made Christianity so popular. Otoh, many other religions promise heaven or Nirvana for those that worship in the prescribed manner. In that sense Christianity is no different.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah. Read post no 11 in the thread.

Those that desire immortality often ignore the sermon of the mount which is the fundamental teaching of Christianity.

The reason Christianity spread to the world was the message of Christ summarized in the sermon of the mount. That is what made Christianity so popular. Otoh, many other religions promise heaven or Nirvana for those that worship in the prescribed manner. In that sense Christianity is no different.
Post #11 isn't by the original poster. If you were addressing post #11 then you should have made it clear that you were doing so. Again the original post is strictly referring to the fact that eternal life is through faith in Christ. It is not addressing the issue of the Christian life after eternal salvation. The two are completely different issues.

Nor is the issue 'this' religion versus 'that' religion. Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ who Himself is God. Religion is man made with its ultimate source being Satan for the purpose of obscuring the truth concerning eternal salvation.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lantern View Post
I notice a lot of Christians still feel like they must do something, or else they are not saved. They must be good and follow these sets of rules, and if you break them, you are no longer saved. Nothing can be further from the truth.

Firstly, Salvation is a gift. Have you ever received a present from someone (whether on your birthday, Christmas, etc.) and told them just as they are handing you the present, "Nope! I must first clean your house, wash your car, and cut your lawn, and then I can accept your present" ? Believe it or not, that is exactly what people tell God when they see His grace being extended toward them. They say they must get rid of their addictions, pray 20 times a day, and eat certain foods before they can receive salvation. It's no longer grace if we work for it, it is then debt.

Also, if someone gave us clothes for Christmas, do we just look at it day in and day out? Do we put it in a frame, and hang it on a wall? If someone gave you a baseball and a pair of baseball gloves for your birthday, would you just put it under your bed and leave it there for years on end? Or wouldn't it make more sense to wear the clothes, and throw the baseball with a friend or family member? Salvation and grace are that kind of gift. It's useful, and powerful. With God's grace, you can break those addictions. With it, you will have strength to get through some of the most impossible of situations, whatever the world may throw at you. Miracles will begin to happen with God's grace if you use it.

I thought about doing this topic after watching some National Geographic documentaries on our Amish brethren. I heard them teach on believing on Jesus, yet then there is a bunch of add on rules and regulations afterward. They isolate themselves from the world, seemingly afraid they will lose their salvation if they so much as thought about owning a car. So instead of living in the freedom God has given us, we once again put ourselves back into bondage and condemnation. (And Scripture says there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus)

Ultimately, God wants us to know that all of our sin is forgiven us through the shed blood of our Lord and Savior. Every sin past, present, and whatever future sin we may commit is forgiven us. God doesn't want us to even think about sin, but yet think about our righteousness in Christ. He wants us to renew our minds to dwell on things that are above. If I'm worried about whether or not I broke this law or that law, all I'm going to do is sin. Yet if my focus is on Christ and His righteousness, the gift that He gave me, that is what is going to come out of me. So Christians, use the gift God has given us. Don't tell God I got to do this, then I'm worthy of receiving it. Don't put God's gift on a wall or under your bed. Wear your salvation in Christ. Exercise your gift of grace (unmerited favor), and see how much God loves you when He singles you out with His blessings. (You are His beloved)

Good post, Lantern!

Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Post #11 isn't by the original poster. If you were addressing post #11 then you should have made it clear that you were doing so.
OK, that is a nice way to evade the point.

Quote:
Again the original post is strictly referring to the fact that eternal life is through faith in Christ. It is not addressing the issue of the Christian life after eternal salvation. The two are completely different issues.

Most religions offer eternal life or reincarnation. In this sense Christianity is similar to pagan religions. Before the Romans became Christian they hoped to live eternally in Hades. By definition Christianity is not pagan because the dictionary states paganism only includes non-Abrahamic religions.

Quote:
Nor is the issue 'this' religion versus 'that' religion. Christianity is not a religion. It is a relationship with God through Jesus Christ who Himself is God. Religion is man made with its ultimate source being Satan for the purpose of obscuring the truth concerning eternal salvation.

Very good! Religion is man made.

However, our view of God is also man made and therefore we become religious whether we want or not.

Quote:
re·li·gion   [ri-lij-uhn]
noun

a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
Dictionary.com

Old 03-24-2012, 03:38 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
OK, that is a nice way to evade the point.

Most religions offer eternal life or reincarnation. In this sense Christianity is similar to pagan religions. Before the Romans became Christian they hoped to live eternally in Hades. By definition Christianity is not pagan because the dictionary states paganism only includes non-Abrahamic religions.

Very good! Religion is man made.

However, our view of God is also man made and therefore we become religious whether we want or not.

Dictionary.com

+1 , saying you dont believe in religon but believe in god is like saying you believe in star wars but not george lucas , religon came first

Old 03-24-2012, 05:28 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Salvation is THE ONLY thing that matters!
Our purpose for existence is to focus on self and what we need to do to "get" to heaven?

It's all about others gang. Selfless not Selfish.

The thief on the cross was entirely helpless to save himself. He just asked the Lord to save him. In God's grace he saved him. Totally undeserved. Could do nothing to help himself. Entirely dependent upon the Lord.

Got want's Fruit. << that's what matters.

Charity is not in the 10 commandments. It is the second most important commandment in Christ's Law.

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:41 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Our purpose for existence is to focus on self and what we need to do to "get" to heaven?

It's all about others gang. Selfless not Selfish.

The thief on the cross was entirely helpless to save himself. He just asked the Lord to save him. In God's grace he saved him. Totally undeserved. Could do nothing to help himself. Entirely dependent upon the Lord.

Got want's Fruit. << that's what matters.

Charity is not in the 10 commandments. It is the second most important commandment in Christ's Law.

Galatians 5:4
Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
...you are so very, very wrong.

First of all, you cannot even begin to know HOW! to "love" others without KNOWING! HOW! to "love" God FIRST!

Secondly, Scripture SAYS! "THIS IS THE LOVE OF GOD AND THE LOVE FOR GOD...TO KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS."

..and finally...you have no clue as to what the meaning of Scripture is that you quote.

...blessings.

...and another thing...What exactly about, "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." Philippians 2:12, do you not understand ?

or this...

"And his affection for you is all the greater when he remembers that you were all obedient, receiving him with fear and trembling." 2 Corinthians 7:15. ?

Last edited by Verna Perry; 03-24-2012 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: had to add a couple passages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity