U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 PM

130 posts, read 123,898 times

Advertisements

I notice a lot of Christians still feel like they must do something, or else they are not saved. They must be good and follow these sets of rules, and if you break them, you are no longer saved. Nothing can be further from the truth.

Firstly, Salvation is a gift. Have you ever received a present from someone (whether on your birthday, Christmas, etc.) and told them just as they are handing you the present, "Nope! I must first clean your house, wash your car, and cut your lawn, and then I can accept your present" ? Believe it or not, that is exactly what people tell God when they see His grace being extended toward them. They say they must get rid of their addictions, pray 20 times a day, and eat certain foods before they can receive salvation. It's no longer grace if we work for it, it is then debt.

Also, if someone gave us clothes for Christmas, do we just look at it day in and day out? Do we put it in a frame, and hang it on a wall? If someone gave you a baseball and a pair of baseball gloves for your birthday, would you just put it under your bed and leave it there for years on end? Or wouldn't it make more sense to wear the clothes, and throw the baseball with a friend or family member? Salvation and grace are that kind of gift. It's useful, and powerful. With God's grace, you can break those addictions. With it, you will have strength to get through some of the most impossible of situations, whatever the world may throw at you. Miracles will begin to happen with God's grace if you use it.

I thought about doing this topic after watching some National Geographic documentaries on our Amish brethren. I heard them teach on believing on Jesus, yet then there is a bunch of add on rules and regulations afterward. They isolate themselves from the world, seemingly afraid they will lose their salvation if they so much as thought about owning a car. So instead of living in the freedom God has given us, we once again put ourselves back into bondage and condemnation. (And Scripture says there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus)

Ultimately, God wants us to know that all of our sin is forgiven us through the shed blood of our Lord and Savior. Every sin past, present, and whatever future sin we may commit is forgiven us. God doesn't want us to even think about sin, but yet think about our righteousness in Christ. He wants us to renew our minds to dwell on things that are above. If I'm worried about whether or not I broke this law or that law, all I'm going to do is sin. Yet if my focus is on Christ and His righteousness, the gift that He gave me, that is what is going to come out of me. So Christians, use the gift God has given us. Don't tell God I got to do this, then I'm worthy of receiving it. Don't put God's gift on a wall or under your bed. Wear your salvation in Christ. Exercise your gift of grace (unmerited favor), and see how much God loves you when He singles you out with His blessings. (You are His beloved)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 04:15 AM

7,856 posts, read 6,660,208 times
Sure turning to the Lord Jesus Christ and receiving His spirit is a gift a is Not considered Work of Christ............ But Jesus requires all who will come to Him to Repent of sin and pray to Him trying to believe ...Then they must go to other Christians and ask for their help , in being a witness and praying for their salvation to come ........... Then as they do receive a witness of Jesus Christ, and the Church were they may have started to go , has Water baptism then they should be water Baptized to show Lord Jesus their faith in Repentance, and their Love to the Lord as a point of Contact to receive , which will get Heavens attention........... If the Church does not have Water Baptism they they must get other Christians who Know the Lord to pray and be a witness of their Repentance , which will also be Heaven attention......... Then the convert must pray and believe for the Baptism of Holy Spirit and could ask other Christians who know the Lord to pray for them........... See if people believe few are called and few are chosen applies to salvation then this will be a grave error , as this only applies to different types of Calling for people who are saved already.......... See salvation is obtained by resisting doubt and obeying Jesus commands which will prove to Jesus of your faith, and will be a sure thing in their salvation

Old 03-24-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sure turning to the Lord Jesus Christ and receiving His spirit is a gift a is Not considered Work of Christ............ But Jesus requires all who will come to Him to Repent of sin and pray to Him trying to believe ...Then they must go to other Christians and ask for their help ,in being a witness and praying for their salvation to come ........... Then as they do receive a witness of Jesus Christ, and the Church were they may have started to go , has Water baptism then they should be water Baptized to show Lord Jesus their faith in Repentance, and their Love to the Lord as a point of Contact to receive , which will get Heavens attention........... If the Church does not have Water Baptism they they must get other Christians who Know the Lord to pray and be a witness of their Repentance , which will also be Heaven attention......... Then the convert must pray and believe for the Baptism of Holy Spirit and could ask other Christians who know the Lord to pray for them........... See if people believe few are called and few are chosen applies to salvation then this will be a grave error , as this only applies to different types of Calling for people who are saved already.......... See salvation is obtained by resisting doubt and obeying Jesus commands which will prove to Jesus of your faith, and will be a sure thing in their salvation

The Holy Spirit convicts an unbeliever that he/she is sinful. Once they know it, they will repent of their sin (change their mind), and confess Christ has died for their sin. At that moment, to believe in the heart unto confession, a man/woman is saved. Water baptism is an outward thing we do to show what has already happened. We go into the water as the old man, and come up again as the new. It's a symbol of our faith in Christ. It's similar to what we do with communion.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:27 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lantern View Post
I notice a lot of Christians still feel like they must do something, or else they are not saved. They must be good and follow these sets of rules, and if you break them, you are no longer saved. Nothing can be further from the truth.

Firstly, Salvation is a gift. Have you ever received a present from someone (whether on your birthday, Christmas, etc.) and told them just as they are handing you the present, "Nope! I must first clean your house, wash your car, and cut your lawn, and then I can accept your present" ? Believe it or not, that is exactly what people tell God when they see His grace being extended toward them. They say they must get rid of their addictions, pray 20 times a day, and eat certain foods before they can receive salvation. It's no longer grace if we work for it, it is then debt.

Also, if someone gave us clothes for Christmas, do we just look at it day in and day out? Do we put it in a frame, and hang it on a wall? If someone gave you a baseball and a pair of baseball gloves for your birthday, would you just put it under your bed and leave it there for years on end? Or wouldn't it make more sense to wear the clothes, and throw the baseball with a friend or family member? Salvation and grace are that kind of gift. It's useful, and powerful. With God's grace, you can break those addictions. With it, you will have strength to get through some of the most impossible of situations, whatever the world may throw at you. Miracles will begin to happen with God's grace if you use it.

I thought about doing this topic after watching some National Geographic documentaries on our Amish brethren. I heard them teach on believing on Jesus, yet then there is a bunch of add on rules and regulations afterward. They isolate themselves from the world, seemingly afraid they will lose their salvation if they so much as thought about owning a car. So instead of living in the freedom God has given us, we once again put ourselves back into bondage and condemnation. (And Scripture says there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus)

Ultimately, God wants us to know that all of our sin is forgiven us through the shed blood of our Lord and Savior. Every sin past, present, and whatever future sin we may commit is forgiven us. God doesn't want us to even think about sin, but yet think about our righteousness in Christ. He wants us to renew our minds to dwell on things that are above. If I'm worried about whether or not I broke this law or that law, all I'm going to do is sin. Yet if my focus is on Christ and His righteousness, the gift that He gave me, that is what is going to come out of me. So Christians, use the gift God has given us. Don't tell God I got to do this, then I'm worthy of receiving it. Don't put God's gift on a wall or under your bed. Wear your salvation in Christ. Exercise your gift of grace (unmerited favor), and see how much God loves you when He singles you out with His blessings. (You are His beloved)
...this message is no different than the one's you'll get shoved down your throat inside all those buildings called "churches" by all the false teachers of Modern Christianity...

The Lantern says:
"Ultimately, God wants us to know that all of our sin is forgiven us through the shed blood of our Lord and Savior. Every sin past, present, and whatever future sin we may commit is forgiven us. God doesn't want us to even think about sin, but yet think about our righteousness in Christ."

You cannot, for one second ! believe that the blood of Jesus shed upon the cross just automatically, without any process expected of an individual, beginning with a confession with a pure...sorrowful, contrite heart...followed by TRUE repentance, which entails a complete turning away from sin altogether ! in order that this individual would then and only then ! be considered a born-again child of The Living God....and REMAIN in that state unto death ! to have an assurance...a hope, of receiving eternal life.

Sin is the transgression of the law of God...the law of God is The Ten Commandments...so to transgress any one of them...willfully...INCLUDING the fourth commandment, to REMEMBER ! to keep the seventh day Sabbath holy unto God and do no work or trade on that day, assures the destruction of your soul....

...but you will not hear this truth preached in any building by any preacher who cares mainly about his bottom line...keeping as many pew warmers attending as possible so as to pay the bills for their business to stay in business. When folks are told the truth about their wickedness and iniquities and the consequences thereof...they have a tendency to not come back the following Sunday...the message didn't tickle their ears.

This is the truth

Last edited by Verna Perry; 03-24-2012 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-24-2012, 08:28 AM

8,825 posts, read 6,294,647 times
Why are so many Christians so obsessed about salvation?

Is salvation the only thing that matters?

Why not live like a Christian and not worry about salvation?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:30 AM

5,261 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Why are so many Christians so obsessed about salvation?

Is salvation the only thing that matters?

Why not live like a Christian and not worry about salvation?
..you just cannot make this stuff up.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...this message is no different than the one's you'll get shoved down your throat inside all those buildings called "churches" by all the false teachers of Modern Christianity...

The Lantern says:
"Ultimately, God wants us to know that all of our sin is forgiven us through the shed blood of our Lord and Savior. Every sin past, present, and whatever future sin we may commit is forgiven us. God doesn't want us to even think about sin, but yet think about our righteousness in Christ."

You cannot, for one second ! believe that the blood of Jesus shed upon the cross just automatically, without any process expected of an individual, beginning with a confession with a pure...sorrowful, contrite heart...followed by TRUE repentance, which entails a complete turning away from sin altogether ! in order that this individual would then and only then ! be considered a born-again child of The Living God....and REMAIN in that state unto death ! to have an assurance...a hope, of receiving eternal life.

Sin is the transgression of the law of God...the law of God is The Ten Commandments...so to transgress any one of them...willfully...INCLUDING the fourth commandment, to REMEMBER ! to keep the seventh day Sabbath holy unto God and do no work or trade on that day, assures the destruction of your soul....

...but you will not hear this truth preached in any building by any preacher who cares mainly about his bottom line...keeping as many pew warmers attending as possible so as to pay the bills for their business to stay in business. When folks are told the truth about their wickedness and iniquities abd the consequences thereof...they have a tendency to not come back the following Sunday...the message didn't tickle their ears.

This is the truth

Are you saying salvation can be obtained by our own effort at keeping the Ten Commandments?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
..you just cannot make this stuff up.
Can you explain why you are so concerned with salvation? Is that why you are a Christian?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lantern View Post
Are you saying salvation can be obtained by our own effort at keeping the Ten Commandments?
She did not say that. It was Jesus who said you must keep the commandments.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
She did not say that. It was Jesus who said you must keep the commandments.

Yes, keeping the commandments is one way to receive God's blessing. Is that not true? Yet what man has kept God's Ten? That is the reason Jesus came. Jesus came to become our righteousness. He kept the commandments for us. So it is all about Jesus. In Him, we are righteous. As we behold Him, our actions and daily lives are transformed into righteous living.

You see I'm not righteous by my actions. My actions are good because I am righteous in the Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or