U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:51 AM

294 posts, read 153,262 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd start a thread where we can have good old-fashioned Bible study.

There are many on the forum whose opinion I have come to respect, and many others who seem sincere in thier quest for the truth.

I'd like to get as many participants as possible, but I'd also like to set up a "board", if you will, of people who are willing to dedicate a bit more than the casual poster. More simply put, regular contributors.

If there are others who you think might enjoy/contribute/grow with us, please invite them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 AM

Reserved for Topic posting

Old 03-28-2012, 08:06 AM

Since this is going to be "Bible Study", it is imperative that we acknowledge the Divine Authority of the Word.

In fact, I think the first topic we study should be on the very issue of Biblical integrity and authority.

I envision a group who is open to everyone's thoughts and respects everyone involved in the discussion.

I would like to implement a system where we take suggestions for a topic and choose one, then spend the week praying, reading, & reflecting on that issue. After the week of study, we return and share what we have learned about said topic that week.

Since our first topic will be about the Integrity of the Bible, I invite everyone to join. I invite atheists to scoff (respectfully, lol), Jews to challenge interpretation and translational issues, and anything else one can think of.

I look forward to a positive experience and hope it is a blessing to many.

Last edited by cledussnow; 03-28-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 03-28-2012, 08:30 AM

2,790 posts, read 2,283,290 times
There is a "Bible Study" Section in the back of my NKJV Bible.

- "HOW to Study the Bible"

"111. PRINCIPLE 0f Bible Interpretation"

"1.) ALWAYS remember that
The Bible IS God's Infallible Inerrant Inspired Word."

This is not Scripture.
This is their principle of interpretation
given in the back of the Bible for studying it.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 AM

9,876 posts, read 6,745,563 times
If you are going to accept everything that the Bible says as infallible then I would simply call the thread: How to learn what the Bible teaches.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
There is a "Bible Study" Section in the back of my NKJV Bible.

- "HOW to Study the Bible"

"111. PRINCIPLE 0f Bible Interpretation"

"1.) ALWAYS remember that
The Bible IS God's Infallible Inerrant Inspired Word."

This is not Scripture.
This is their principle of interpretation
given in the back of the Bible for studying it.

That's fine. I'm not interested in what's in the "back of" your Bible.
I'm only interested in Genesis 1:1 through Revelation 22:21.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
If you are going to accept everything that the Bible says as infallible then I would simply call the thread: How to learn what the Bible teaches.

Thanks.

"How to learn what the Bible teaches" is pretty similar to "Bible Study" IMO.

Like "how to learn what my math text book teaches" would be the same as studying math.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 AM

2,790 posts, read 2,283,290 times
So is this the same "Principle" "0f Bible Interpretation'
you're going to use here for your 'Bible Study' as well?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,179,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
Since this is going to be "Bible Study", it is imperative that we acknowledge the Divine Authority of the Word.

Personally, what I find divinely authoritative are the things that resonate with me as being true, no matter where I find those things. I don't know any other way to approach it. So, there are many things within the bible that resonate with me... and many that don't.

I'd have to define "Divine Authority of the Word" not as pertaining to the bible, but as anything that resonates as being God-inspired. And God, as I understand the concept, is the Ultimate Reality that holds everything together: Love. I'm still trying to understand that Reality, and I think that the bible contains many deep insights that are important to that endeavor for me, personally.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
So is this the same "Principle" "0f Bible Interpretation'
you're going to use here for your 'Bible Study' as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post

In fact, I think the first topic we study should be on the very issue of Biblical integrity and authority.

We can/must begin by looking into the integrity and authority, as I stated above.

After that, if there is no validity to the Bible, then why bother having a study on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity