Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Conventional Baptismal Ritual Absolutely Necessary?
Yes 11 37.93%
No 16 55.17%
There should be optional methods like by taking an oath. 0 0%
Don't know/no opinion. 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:39 PM

292 posts, read 933,996 times

Advertisements

I was baptised as an infant into the Catholic faith. Years later after accepting Jesus as my Savior and also after being baptised in the Holy Spirit I learned of the full immersion baptism. The one where you make the decision yourself. The way the pastor explained this was, it is an outside thing done to show all others the change that has happened inside. Like for a witness.
I also feel there was something in declaring you had accepted Christ and were willing to now do this in front of everyone so they knew it! It made a clear statement.
My husband and I were baptised full immersion together.
Blessings!
Jean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 12:42 PM

292 posts, read 933,996 times
I forgot to add that when I got baptised full immersion it was something I did out of obediance to God. I felt he led me/us to.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:11 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruralgalnebraska View Post
The way the pastor explained this was, it is an outside thing done to show all others the change that has happened inside. Like for a witness.
I also feel there was something in declaring you had accepted Christ and were willing to now do this in front of everyone so they knew it! It made a clear statement.
This is also what I was taught, but my thought is...don't we already have to confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord of our life? If you get "saved" in the same church you are going to get baptized in, haven't you already "confessed" and declared?

Old 09-14-2007, 04:38 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
This is also what I was taught, but my thought is...don't we already have to confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord of our life? If you get "saved" in the same church you are going to get baptized in, haven't you already "confessed" and declared?

yeah, but by being baptized you are being reborn.

I'm sitting here trying to think of a way to explain my view again, and ya know what came to mind?

What does it matter???? Jesus did it, and said we should...so we do.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:54 AM
sun sun started this thread

683 posts, read 2,125,056 times
In the Catholic Church, we are usually bapitized as babies. Everyone involved recites a oathful prayer together, the baby has water poured over its head, its forehead is annointed with oil, and Catholic Godparents are selected.
Our confirmation ritual is more like becoming an adult member of the Church while receiving additional grace. Each person confirmed also chooses the name of a Catholic Saint to become part of their new religious identity.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:58 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I was a member of the Church of Christ for many years.. Here is their belief on Baptism..I believe that other nondenominations have very similiar beliefs..Oh how I hate to quote scripture but here goes.

To enter the Church you must first:
Believe in Jesus.... Heb11:6 Jhn 8:24 Acts 16:31
Repent of your sins....Lk13:2 Acts 2:38, 3:19,17:30
Confess your faith in Jesus...Matt 10:32 Acts 8:37 Rom. 10:9
Be baptized...Matt 28:19 Mk 16:16 Acts 2:38, 10:48, 22:16

Baptism requires much water:
Much water....Jno3:23 Acts 10:47
Going down into the water...Acts 8:36-38
A burial in water...Rom 6:3-4 Col 2:12
A resurrection...Acts 8:39 Rom 6:4 Col 2:12
A birth...Jno 3:3-5 Rom 6:3-6
A washing...Acts 22:16 Heb 10:22

You should know that your baptism means:
You are saved from sins..Mk16:16
You have remission of sins..Acts 2:38
Sins have been washed away by the blood of Christ..Acts22:16 Heb9:22
You enter the church...1 Cor 12:13 Acts 2:41-4
You enter into Christ..Gal 3:26-27 Romans 6:3,4
You put on Christ and become a child of God..Gal3:26-27
You are born again, a new creature..Rom 6:3,4 2Cor.5:17
You walk in newness of life..Rom 6:3-6
You obey Christ..Mk 16:15,16 Acts10:48

If your baptism is not according to the above and the words of I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son and for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit are not said by the baptizer before goin under, then they don; think your baptism is valid. If you die knowing God, but have not been fuly immersed in baptism, then they doubt your destination..I disagreed and am no longer a member of that group, although my husband and his family are...

Old 09-18-2007, 09:42 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Very earlier in our adult Christian life my ex-spouse and I got sprinkled because that is what the church we attend said to do. I walked away that day not feeling any different, except happy with all the hugs we got.

Fast forward 9 years later and my children and I were going to a different church that believed in full immersion, as did I having grown in my walk. My children wanted me to be baptized with them so we all did it on the same cloudy day at a lake on a Christian college. I am blind as a bat without my glasses but I can tell you on that day when I was being pulled back up from the water I saw the brightest light and heard (in my head at least) the song Leaning on the Everlasting Arms! It was the best feeling I have ever felt in my life!

On our way home, I had not shared with anybody about the light and the song, my then 8 yo DD was telling us when she was being brought up she heard a song and it was very bright! I about ran off the road~~asking her what song she heard This Little Light of Mine. Then I shared with my children what I felt, saw and heard. My then 12 yo DS was being very quiet so I asked him to share what he felt. He said he did feel different and he did see a bright light but in his mind he heard a rock-n-roll song.

I agree it is an outward jesture to show others we belong to Christ but I feel closer to Christ having shown it.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:35 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,282,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
There is no saving power in being baptized, it is a symbol of Christ death,burial and resurrection. It's washing off the old sinful nature and becoming a new person in Christ.
Thanks,
Good post, tried to rep you but I couldn't.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Mark 16:16 says He who is baptized shall be saved...I can agree with that, but I have no problem with the issue of how much water..

Old 09-20-2007, 07:45 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
In Mark 16, this reference is about being baptized in and of the Holy Spirit... which in fact is the essence of all Baptism. 16:16 (a)The one who believes and is baptized will be saved, (b) but the one who does not believe will be condemned.

Condemnation comes only by non-belief. **I added the a & b division of text.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity