U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-05-2012, 10:52 AM

4,478 posts, read 1,512,131 times
Default Why must one believe that "Jesus is the only way"?

Let's say it's true, and Jesus IS the way to the Father and because of Jesus, God considers himself reconciled to the world, and is not holding people's sins against them.

Why do you think it is vitally important to the Father or Jesus that people acknowledge HOW God reconciled people to himself, or WHY God is not holding people's sins against them? So vitally important that if people don't agree with the reasons you believe are true for the how & why that God would no longer consider himself reconciled and would, again, hold people's sins against them?

Why would people's beliefs ABOUT Jesus being the reason one is forgiven and reconciled, have any impact on whether or not they are actually forgiven and reconciled?

("Because God says so" is not an answer to the question of why you think God says so, but I'm sure plenty of people will post something to that effect.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM

6,832 posts, read 6,370,247 times
My simplest answer would be that man needs to embrace what he was created to be, and the relationship between the Potter and the clay.

"Let us make man in our image." That's the dominating statement of why we are here, and who we are designed to become. Adam was given dominion over the earth, and if we look and listen closely to what Jesus told His disciples, those who follow Him and receive His spirit should have the rule over not just themselves but the mountains, diseases, spirits and everything else according to their Creator's design and intent.

In short, it's to our benefit and for our good - and yes, according to His plan that Christ is no longer referred to as the "only" but "first of many".

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:12 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,232,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Let's say it's true, and Jesus IS the way to the Father and because of Jesus, God considers himself reconciled to the world, and is not holding people's sins against them.

Why do you think it is vitally important to the Father or Jesus that people acknowledge HOW God reconciled people to himself, or WHY God is not holding people's sins against them? So vitally important that if people don't agree with the reasons you believe are true for the how & why that God would no longer consider himself reconciled and would, again, hold people's sins against them?

Why would people's beliefs ABOUT Jesus being the reason one is forgiven and reconciled, have any impact on whether or not they are actually forgiven and reconciled?

("Because God says so" is not an answer to the question of why you think God says so, but I'm sure plenty of people will post something to that effect.)
Because God says so

Pleroo IMO it is because in order to know the FATHER one must have the MIND of CHRIST. Only Jesus truly knows the Father and to know the Father is aionion life.

My two cents worth

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
My simplest answer would be that man needs to embrace what he was created to be, and the relationship between the Potter and the clay.

"Let us make man in our image." That's the dominating statement of why we are here, and who we are designed to become. Adam was given dominion over the earth, and if we look and listen closely to what Jesus told His disciples, those who follow Him and receive His spirit should have the rule over not just themselves but the mountains, diseases, spirits and everything else according to their Creator's design and intent.

In short, it's to our benefit and for our good - and yes, according to His plan that Christ is no longer referred to as the "only" but "first of many".
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Because God says so

Pleroo IMO it is because in order to know the FATHER one must have the MIND of CHRIST. Only Jesus truly knows the Father and to know the Father is aionion life.

My two cents worth
Thanks guys. I agree that knowing truth (ie "having the mind of Christ") is for OUR benefit and good. But that is how "believing that God is reconciled to us and is not holding our sins against us" benefits US.

It doesn't answer the question of why God would no longer consider himself reconciled and would, again, hold people's sins against them if they don't believe the things Christians say they must believe about how God did the reconciling.

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:40 PM

31,738 posts, read 9,719,178 times
Quote:

Knowing the truth about salvation is extremely important because God created only one way to salvation, and that means every other way except the right way leads to destruction. It is so important that the Bible repeats the same message some 200 times.

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:43 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,232,809 times
Quote:
Thanks guys. I agree that knowing truth (ie "having the mind of Christ") is for OUR benefit and good. But that is how "believing that God is reconciled to us and is not holding our sins against us" benefits US.

It doesn't answer the question of why God would no longer consider himself reconciled and would, again, hold people's sins against them if they don't believe the things Christians say they must believe about how God did the reconciling.
I don't believe God holds our sins against us, I believe we reap what we sow.

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I don't believe God holds our sins against us, I believe we reap what we sow.
Yes, there are natural consequences for our actions, regardless of what we believe about God. That's not what mainstream Christianity teaches however. They teach that one MUST believe what they believe about how God reconciled people to himself, or else God will hold people's sins against them and no longer be reconciled to them. I'm waiting for someone to answer why it would be imperative to God that people acknowledge HOW God did the reconciling.

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:55 PM

463 posts, read 157,176 times
There is only one way, but Christianity has misunderstood because they follow Paul and do not have faith in the son of man as Jesus has described. That is to go into the world as He was sent with the same message and mission.

It is written in the prophets;

They shall be my people, and I will be their God.
One heart and one way I will give them, that they may revere me always, for their own good and that of their children after them.
I will make with them an eternal covenant, never to cease doing good to them; into their hearts I will put the fear of me, that they may never depart from me.
I will take delight in doing good to them: I will replant them firmly in this land, with all my heart and soul.

This is the covenant with them which I myself have made, says the Lord: My spirit which is upon you and my words that I have put into your mouth Shall never leave your mouth, nor the mouths of your children Nor the mouths of your children's children from now on and forever.

Anyone who acts in truth comes to the light so his deeds are revealed works of God.

Unread 04-05-2012, 01:06 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,388,730 times
Reconcile means to bring into harmony, to make peace. How do we make peace?

There is only one way that we can be reconciled: by love. Love God, love our neighbors, love our enemies. Love each other.

That is "the way" that Jesus represents.
That is "the way" that Jesus is.

Immediately go reread 1 John. Such a great book. But to summarize: God is love. In Him there is no darkness. When we hate another, we are in the darkness, we do not know God. But when we love one another, we come into the light, and we know God, because God is love.

Unread 04-05-2012, 01:08 PM

120 posts, read 41,108 times
i belive that if we acted out of truth and produced the fruits. allow truth to live in us daily and have produce fruits of patience,love, kindness, trust etc to all people, this will be the natural light that shine as truth.. jesus ( as is written) possessed these qualities and this was his message. so he had the truth

we watered down this message so much with our own twist and produce no fruits - so why do we expect for this story to have any real significance anymore? we claim to follow him but we have very little in common with him and act out of greed, ego/pride and fear instead of the trust and faith of which he spoke. ( we fight to be right instead of humbled by truth)

jesus trusted in his daily bread and did not worry about need and wants as he knoewthe truth that he was LIFE and that the creator( our father) would provide for this LIFE he created without him having to struggle for it. he trusted

He knew the father as he put to death himself and walked step by step in truth in faith and He knew that the message was pure and Unconditioned by his mind.

he simply trusted he didnt fight to prove his righteousness.. it spoke loud and clear for all who had ears,, all who were afraid to lose their power and self/status refused to listen and wanted him destryed for their own self benefit/gain...

only we can see what is in our hearts if we choose to look and listen and only then will we empty the conditioning that we have built up over our lives and be silent enuff to hear the voice of our creator speaking gently to our hearts and leading us tp truth and peace.. effortlessly with not fight.

sin is just somthing that is not natural to our being and creates negative reactions within us. if we listen to the voice that we all have in us.. we would hear when there is noise/sin trying to upset the peaceful being that we are created to be. judge ourselves before we do anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity