U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:39 PM

120 posts, read 47,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Mmm, yes ... might be avoiding pain rather than dealing with it. Good insight.

The other thing that struck me as I was thinking about what I'd written and a couple of specific relationships floated into my mind, was that while I may have forgiven them, I have not acknowledged even to myself and certainly not to them in what way I was at fault. Too busy keeping them (and the situation) at arm's length for fear they/it would hurt me again.

Fear sucks.
fear is just a thought.. it really is harmless when u see that it has no real power over u.. unless you yourself give it the power by giving it your attention and entertaining it.. it enters your mind and its really up to you to keep it in there or not. ( sounds crazy maybe- but its true- dont take my word for it- try it if youd like)

when we witness the fear as a thought that comes into our head but we dont let it take us for a ride abut keep ourself only as the witness.. ., we let it pass.. we will see that it is harmless. this is just in my experience.. we are all different .. am just sharing what i have learned. the mind and its tricks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM

5,395 posts, read 1,923,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemagician View Post
fear is just a thought.. it really is harmless when u see that it has no real power over u.. unless you yourself give it the power by giving it your attention and entertaining it.. it enters your mind and its really up to you to keep it in there or not. ( sounds crazy maybe- but its true- dont take my word for it- try it if youd like)

when we witness the fear as a thought that comes into our head but we dont let it take us for a ride abut keep ourself only as the witness.. ., we let it pass.. we will see that it is harmless. this is just in my experience.. we are all different .. am just sharing what i have learned. the mind and its tricks.
I don't disagree. I should've said ... fear sucks when you allow it to control you.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:16 PM

120 posts, read 47,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I don't disagree. I should've said ... fear sucks when you allow it to control you.

all the best to you and yours

Old 04-06-2012, 02:44 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,597,051 times
If God forgives me, who am I not to forgive others? This is what I remind myself when I need to forgive others.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 PM

4,008 posts, read 2,414,173 times
What exactly is forgiveness? My definition may not be the same as yours.

My definition of forgiving someone is to completely forget every wrong they have ever done you, and move forward with no mention or recriminations from the past. I would forgive my kids absolutely anything they ever do, because they are my kids...but they are the only ones in this world who gets a free pass.

If someone does something to hurt me intentionally, (which has happened far too often) I shut them out of my life. I have developed a very strong survival instinct and will not continue associate with anyone who has threatened my well being. I don't sit around, brood, and plot revenge - I just move forward. The person no longer exists to me. I will be polite if I see them again but essentially they are "gone" from my life. To me, that's as close to forgiveness in the biblical sense, that a smart person can get. It can be very painful to realise someone is not who you thought they were and move forward without them (I'm divorced) , but IMO no God would require you to endure someone elses bs year after year.

Remember, the bible is written by man, not God.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 PM

3,555 posts, read 1,568,374 times
Forgiveness was written on that cross 2000 years ago in Judea. Realize how much we've been forgiven and freely forgive.

Perspective is one of a Christian's greatest attributes.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 PM

4,778 posts, read 2,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
What exactly is forgiveness? My definition may not be the same as yours.

My definition of forgiving someone is to completely forget every wrong they have ever done you, and move forward with no mention or recriminations from the past. I would forgive my kids absolutely anything they ever do, because they are my kids...but they are the only ones in this world who gets a free pass.

If someone does something to hurt me intentionally, (which has happened far too often) I shut them out of my life. I have developed a very strong survival instinct and will not continue associate with anyone who has threatened my well being. I don't sit around, brood, and plot revenge - I just move forward. The person no longer exists to me. I will be polite if I see them again but essentially they are "gone" from my life. To me, that's as close to forgiveness in the biblical sense, that a smart person can get. It can be very painful to realise someone is not who you thought they were and move forward without them (I'm divorced) , but IMO no God would require you to endure someone elses bs year after year.

Remember, the bible is written by man, not God.
i had my life destroyed by a disgusting human being nearly fourteen years ago , i have not seen them since but not a day has gone by that i do not think of them , i recently found out where they live and work , thier is no way im going to be able to leave this world without regaining contact with this person , some offenses are to great to simply forget , i could not trust god enough to be sure this person would get thier comeuppance

Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 PM

18,949 posts, read 8,798,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Forgiveness was written on that cross 2000 years ago in Judea. Realize how much we've been forgiven and freely forgive.

I actually believe it was proven 2000+ years ago that the forgiveness of God was always what it was. That a man called Jesus Christ was willing to lay His life to prove it to be so.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:11 PM

7,258 posts, read 2,374,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i had my life destroyed by a disgusting human being nearly fourteen years ago , i have not seen them since but not a day has gone by that i do not think of them , i recently found out where they live and work , thier is no way im going to be able to leave this world without regaining contact with this person , some offenses are to great to simply forget , i could not trust god enough to be sure this person would get thier comeuppance
Hatred will consume you, not the other person.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:20 PM

7,258 posts, read 2,374,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post

"Forgive them, for they know not what they do."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity