U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:31 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,845,692 times

Advertisements

Why do you suppose that when Jesus was resurrected, his grave clothes (wrappings) were left in the tomb (as though he had passed through them? --- yet, he took his earthly body.

But, when Lazarus was resurrected, he came out of the tomb in his grave clothes? ... Then, Jesus instructed others to remove them? I think there is probably a relationship between the two events, ... but, have not been able to come-up one in preparing to teach about the resurrection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 03:30 PM

8,104 posts, read 7,074,218 times
The clothes that Jesus had on in John 20:14.... was not recorded but he must have got clothes from the Lord Holy Angels as there were two in the sepulcher with Jesus when Mary Magdalene discovered Jesus ......In Luke 24..... Jesus body was not found but the Lord`s Holy Angels told the Women Mary Magdalene , and Mary mother of James , and other women that Jesus had risen and was living...And the grave clothes were there....Where Jesus is reported to have left Jerusalem and down the road in the village of Emmaus talking to men there about their issue about the cross of Jesus of Nazareth ....Gospel of Mark is like the Book of Luke but not account of the village of Emmaus..... In Matthew 28 there is not grave clothes found without Jesus ..But two Holy Angels telling them that Jesus has risen and gone to Galilee and they can find Him there......... Most likely the grave clothes were removed as an authority of faith for the risen Lord Jesus to seal the resurrection , as death clothes are not life clothes, and the Lord must have got new clothes from the Lords Holy Angels who ministered to His needs ......

Old 04-07-2012, 06:41 PM

6,822 posts, read 5,152,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The clothes that Jesus had on in John 20:14.... was not recorded but he must have got clothes from the Lord Holy Angels as there were two in the sepulcher with Jesus when Mary Magdalene discovered Jesus ......In Luke 24..... Jesus body was not found but the Lord`s Holy Angels told the Women Mary Magdalene , and Mary mother of James , and other women that Jesus had risen and was living...And the grave clothes were there....Where Jesus is reported to have left Jerusalem and down the road in the village of Emmaus talking to men there about their issue about the cross of Jesus of Nazareth ....Gospel of Mark is like the Book of Luke but not account of the village of Emmaus..... In Matthew 28 there is not grave clothes found without Jesus ..But two Holy Angels telling them that Jesus has risen and gone to Galilee and they can find Him there......... Most likely the grave clothes were removed as an authority of faith for the risen Lord Jesus to seal the resurrection , as death clothes are not life clothes, and the Lord must have got new clothes from the Lords Holy Angels who ministered to His needs ......
Pretty good answer.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM

21,870 posts, read 16,696,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Why do you suppose that when Jesus was resurrected, his grave clothes (wrappings) were left in the tomb (as though he had passed through them? --- yet, he took his earthly body.

But, when Lazarus was resurrected, he came out of the tomb in his grave clothes? ... Then, Jesus instructed others to remove them? I think there is probably a relationship between the two events, ... but, have not been able to come-up one in preparing to teach about the resurrection
Jghorton, Lazarus wasn't resurrected. He was simply resuscitated in his mortal form.

But Jesus was resurrected. His body was transformed into a glorified body of incorruptability and immortality. I do not think that the grave clothes He had been buried in would have been appropriate for the glorified Jesus. He simply left them where they lay. And He probably did simply pass through them.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:47 PM

5,965 posts, read 5,761,741 times
There is a difference between the resurrection and the transfiguration don't you think?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM

21,641 posts, read 30,253,245 times
The lien wrappings were left as if Jesus had passed through them to prove that a grave robber couldn't have stolen His body and left the lines as it they were still shaped around it.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 PM

8,787 posts, read 7,707,284 times
"I Love NC" is probably right. It gives more evidence that Jesus body was not stolen, that He rose. Other than that, I can't think of any other significance to it.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:29 AM

168 posts, read 138,392 times
i recieved this in an email some time back and thought of it when i read the op, and wanted to share:

i never thought of the significance of why it was a point for the folded napkin to be included into the scripture until this was presented to me in an email, thought it was good, and wanted to pass this along.

Joh 20:4 So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
Joh 20:5 And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.
Joh 20:6 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
Joh 20:7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
Joh 20:8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.

Why did Jesus fold the linen burial cloth after His resurrection?
This is very, very good!

The Gospel of John (20:7) tells us that the napkin, which was placed
over the face of Jesus, was not just thrown aside like the grave
clothes. The Bible takes an entire verse to tell us that the napkin was
neatly folded,and was placed at the head of that stony coffin.

Early Sunday morning, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the
tomb and found that the stone had been rolled away from the
entrance.She ran and found Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one
whom Jesus loved. She said, "They have taken the Lord's body out of the
tomb, and I don't know where they have put him!" Peter and the other
disciple ran to the tomb to see.The other disciple outran Peter and got
there first. He stooped and looked in and saw the linen cloth lying
there, but he didn't go in. Then Simon Peter arrived and went inside.
He also noticed the linen wrappings lying there, while the cloth that
had covered Jesus' head was folded up and lying to the side.

Is that important? Absolutely! Is it really significant? Yes!
In order to understand the significance of the folded napkin, you have to
understand a little bit about Hebrew tradition of that day...
The folded napkin had to do with the Master and Servant,
and every Jewish boy knew this tradition.When the servant set the dinner
table for the master, he made sure that it was exactly the way the master
wanted it.
The table was furnished perfectly, and then the servant would wait, just out
of
sight, until the master had finished eating, and the servant would not
dare touch that table, until the master was finished. Now if the master
was done eating, he would rise from the table, wipe his fingers, his
mouth,and clean his beard, and would wad up that napkin and toss it
onto the table.The servant would then know to clear the table. For in
those days, the wadded napkin meant, "I'm done". But if the master
got up from the table, and folded his napkin, and laid it beside his
plate, the servant would not dare touch the table, because the servant knew
that the folded napkin meant, "I'm not finished yet."
The folded napkin meant, "I'm coming back!"

HE IS COMING BACK!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 AM

2,788 posts, read 2,281,431 times
Does being Resurrected mean one can never die again?

Blessed and holy is he who has part in the 1st Resurrection.
Over such the second death has no power. - Rev.20

- (First) Resurrection?

- (Second) Death?
they are resurrected to die again?

If so then even though one dies and is resurrected?
They can still die again.

After all isn't it The Tree 0f Life
and The Fountains 0f Living Waters that keeps flesh alive?

Without this nourisment no matter how many times one is resurrected.
Their flesh would only die again.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:39 PM

8,764 posts, read 10,845,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jghorton, Lazarus wasn't resurrected. He was simply resuscitated in his mortal form.

But Jesus was resurrected. His body was transformed into a glorified body of incorruptability and immortality. I do not think that the grave clothes He had been buried in would have been appropriate for the glorified Jesus. He simply left them where they lay. And He probably did simply pass through them.
That is partly my thought, although I'm not sure if 'resuscitated' is the right word for Lazarus, Jairus' daughter or the son of the widow of Nain. It sounds like they weren't really dead, but, then, Jesus did say, "She is only sleeping' ... and from God's perspective, they really weren't dead. We really don't have a word between resuscitated and resurrected.

In this context, why, then, did he take the old, non-glorified body? You suggest that His body was 'transformed' into a glorified body ---which does fit with "the corruptible, putting on the incorruptible, but, I'm not sure what good our earthly bodies will be in eternity (?)

It probably doesn't really matter, since we aren't really given any of the 'procedural logistics' to the resurrection. However, so many 'small details' in scripture have a greater significance, one has to wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity