Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And Happy Easter to you!
Thanks, MQ. I love the Orthodox Easter tradition. I'm not a church-goer, it's mostly out of nostalgia from when I was a kid. But it's a very interesting church with a lot going for it, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 04:20 PM

42 posts, read 181,461 times
Thanks everyone for your support.I will not rule out any denomination and will also look into the orthodox church.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franny47 View Post
Thanks everyone for your support.I will not rule out any denomination and will also look into the orthodox church.
The Greek Orthodox are cool. They have the same "live and let live" vibe exhibited by southern European Catholics. Then, if you live in any major city with a Greek population (and you do), they tend to throw these awesome Greek festivals, with delicious lamb staples and their own unique desserts.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:54 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Frannie, I'll say this just one more time. While you're visiting other denominations, include Orthodox on your list. It's like Catholicism without all the baggage. Birth control is a private matter, the Church doesn't get involved. The Church broke with the Catholics, historically, over the issue of Infallibility, so it's on the same page as you, there. If you join the Church, you'd be able to take communion. The priests are not celibate, so no problems on that score. In fact the church requires priests to be married, so they can better relate to their parishioners, and be in a better position to advise them if they seek counseling. I'm just saying, include it on your list. You might find yourself feeling at home there. Best wishes on your journey. Let us know how it goes.
I would think that would be a good idea too! I live in an area where there are many Easter Orthodox Churches - Greek, Russian and Ukrainian.
The Churches are very beautiful, and the services, at least the two I attended are deeply moving.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
I think Catholics are jumping ship at the wrong time, just when things are starting to happen.

A growing number of Seattle’s Catholic parishes are saying “no†to Archbishop J. Peter Sartain’s offer that churches become signature gathering points for Referendum 74, the ballot measure to roll back Washington’s recently passed same-sex marriage law

Two more Catholic parishes say no to Ref. 74 signature drive | Strange Bedfellows — Politics News - seattlepi.com

Pittsburgh priests to bishop: Listen to laity on contraception

Pittsburgh priests to bishop: Listen to laity on contraception | National Catholic Reporter

Irish priests reject ‘silencing' of key liberal voice
An influential body representing more than 800 Irish priests has decried the "silencing" of its co-founder and spokesman, Fr Tony Flannery, by the Vatican.

The Tablet - Irish priests reject ‘silencing' of key liberal voice

Belgian bishop for married priests

The Tablet - Belgian bishop for married priests

Vienna: Schönborn chooses young gay man for position in parish council

Vienna: Schönborn chooses young gay man for position in parish council - Vatican Insider (http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en/homepage/world-news/detail/articolo/vienna-wien-austria-14073/ - broken link)

A new survey of grass-roots opinion indicates that the typical Irish Catholic no longer accepts church teaching on a range of issues, mainly to do with sex and gender

The Tablet - Listen to the People

Last edited by ted08721; 04-13-2012 at 07:23 PM..

Old 04-13-2012, 07:09 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,867,259 times
There have been groups of hundreds of priests across the globe that have been standing up to their bishops and Rome.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:52 PM

42 posts, read 181,461 times
Thanks for the links Ted.I admire the progressive Catholics that choose to stay and try to change the church from within.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 AM

697 posts, read 1,072,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I find that statement curious. Most Episcopalians have no problem with gay people (most of the ones that did have left by now), but not all Episcopalians are thrilled with Spong, either. Has nothing to do with gays, but more do with his disbelief in the resurrection and other basics of Christianity.
I've read several books by Bishop Spong, including The Easter Moment, which strongly affirmed my belief in the resurrection. Or, as I recall, Spong made the case that SOMETHING happened, that something which we understand as resurrection. Spong offers some fresh takes on the Bible, which is why I am a fan. But, I read that book some time ago. Has Bishop Spong changed his position?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
<< Leviticus 20:13 >>

New International Version (©1984)
"'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Hope that helps your Bible study
Ah yes, Leviticus, how could I have forgotten? True, I don't pay much attention to it, since that book also advocates death penalty for having sex with your wife on her period or cursing your parents. Kind of over the top if you ask me.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franny47 View Post
I am prolife from cradle to grave.I am against abortion(unless the mothers'life is in immediate danger)euthanasia,war,and capital punishment.

I find it a little bit interesting that you describe yourself as pro-life from "cradle" to grave as many pro-lifers would have said from "conception" to grave.

If you are ok with abortion to save the mother's life, then you should know that is really why abortion was legalized in the first place. Women died by the droves from illegal botched abortions. Having said that, lots of pro-choicers are also against abortion, just against government inserting itself into private moral and medical decisions even more.

The ELCA has a number of social statements available on its website, including one on abortion. Here are a couple of tiny excerpts:

"Because we believe that God is the creator of life, the number of induced abortions is a source of deep concern to this church. We mourn the loss of life that God has created. The strong Christian presumption is to preserve and protect life. Abortion ought to be an option only of last resort. Therefore, as a church we seek to reduce the need to turn to abortion as the answer to unintended pregnancies....

As a community of faith we seek to live out our support for life in all its dimensions. We are committed to supporting those who face problematic pregnancies in ways that effectively address their immediate as well as long-term needs. This can include financial, nutritional, medical, educational, social, and psychological, as well as spiritual support."

You will not find the ELCA hosting rallies to overturn Roe v Wade or to pass "personhood" bills or the like, but you will find them fundraising for free clinics, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity