Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times

Advertisements

I personally haven't found a religion that I can embrace (and thanks, I'm not looking!) but I believe that religion does provide comfort to those that believe. More power to them. But I'd like some input on a situation I see possibly becoming a problem.

I'm a truck driver and I infrequently pick up at a customer that I rather enjoy. They load me quickly and the run pays well. But here's my situation: We have set appointment times to be loaded. Sometimes I arrive hours before my appointment because I've finished my previous delivery early. There's a security guard that gets clearance for us truckers to go back to the loading docks. I've always found him to be pleasant and I try to be nice, especially since it usually helps if you want to get loaded early. I know this man is a devout Christian. The last time I picked up at his facility, he asked me what church I went to. I didn't feel like it was his business but "tap-danced" around the question and headed for the door. My problem is that I'm worried that he may not let me load early any more if I don't somehow "play his game". I just don't feel it's right to force your religion on others in the workplace. Your comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 10:06 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I wouldn't worry about him not letting you load early. That would be vindictive and that's not a Christian trait.

If he keeps bringing it up, just smile and politely say that you were raised to feel that religious beliefs are very personal and private. And that you really are uncomfortable talking about it. Then, "I want you to know that I appreciate your concern. Be assured that I am very content and comfortable with my beliefs." Keep smiling!!

Old 09-23-2007, 11:13 AM

14,951 posts, read 9,790,824 times
If the situation presents a possibility of being treated differently... ask him about his church. If it's that important to him... asking him about his church will delight him, because you seem interested. Keep the conversation about him... and tell him how you enjoy hearing about his church home. Who knows... it may actually renew(?) your interest in a church home.

I agree... if there is judgement or "pressure" about his belief system or faith, that is not being salt and light. However if you are feeling conviction... that's a good thing.

mans judgement= satans work .................... Conviction= Holy Spirit

Old 09-23-2007, 05:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
I personally haven't found a religion that I can embrace (and thanks, I'm not looking!) but I believe that religion does provide comfort to those that believe. More power to them. But I'd like some input on a situation I see possibly becoming a problem.

My problem is that I'm worried that he may not let me load early any more if I don't somehow "play his game". I just don't feel it's right to force your religion on others in the workplace. Your comments?

How many times has he approached you with the question about church?
If it was only once, maybe it was just out of curiosity or a kind gesture.'
Need a little more info. not to be intrusive; but it depends on your gender, whether this man may have been trying to "hit on you". I couldn't see anyone playing any games Christian, church-goer or anyone: unless he would have a reason to feel rejection, real or imagined. Why would he want to deliberately not you load early/out? So he could have more time to talk to you??

Old 09-23-2007, 05:49 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post

My problem is that I'm worried that he may not let me load early any more if I don't somehow "play his game". I just don't feel it's right to force your religion on others in the workplace. Your comments?

How many times has he approached you with the question about church?
If it was only once, maybe it was just out of curiosity or a kind gesture.'
Need a little more info. not to be intrusive; but it depends on your gender, whether this man may have been trying to "hit on you". I couldn't see anyone playing any games Christian, church-goer or anyone: unless he would have a reason to feel rejection, real or imagined. Why would he want to deliberately not you load early/out? So he could have more time to talk to you??
Gender may or may not make a difference in this situation. But just wanted to know what I'm working with, so I can give my best reply.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:34 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,006,659 times
Hey Crew Chief,
I tend to agree with Padge and Dave.

I would just tell him that you feel that your religious beliefs are a personal thing. Maybe you can ask about his church, in order to show interest...that's up to you. However, if he is truly a Christian, he wouldn't hold your religious beliefs against you and/or change his work relations with you because of it.

You don't have to "play his game", however, just be respectful just as you would like for him to be with you.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,290 times
Hi Crew Chief

I understand not wanting to discuss the subject if it makes you uncomfortable. Maybe just tell him you have no denomination and leave it at that. If he pressures you to give a name, ask him where he attends and maybe how he enjoys it there? That way you get the subject on him and off you. If he is truly a believer he will not act any differently about loading you early. More than likely he may think you do not have a personal relationship with Jesus as your Lord, and he may be trying to see where you stand on the subject and asking about church could be his way of bringing up the matter.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Crew, you may be worrying over nothing. He may have been just making conversation. Just because a person asks if you go to church doesn't necessarily mean he will start preaching to you..Just act like you always do next time you see him If he does decide to do a little "thumping" just give a chuckle and tell him that the two things you don't discuss are politics and religion with your friends

Old 09-24-2007, 03:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Sure appreciate the input, everyone! I haven't been back to that shipper since he asked me about my religion. Perhaps I'm making more of this than I should. But my past experiences with some "Born-agains" have been difficult, and that (unfairly or not) sets the stage for me to be concerned about this guy. I normally don't frequent the Religion/Philosphy forum because I feel that most folks have already made their mind up about how they feel about their and other religions. Don't want to stray from the topic of this thread, but the U.S. of A. is the ONLY country where I've been asked about my religion... Thanks again for the advice, All!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:02 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Great to see you here Crew Chief! Been awhile since I've seen you in the forums. Glad to see you have time to get on CD. I'd agree with many of the other posts here. I'd simply ignore what the guy said and if he brings it up again in as respectful as a way possible I'd just say it's not something you're comfortable or willing to talk about to him or anyone else for that matter. If he persists just ignore him. AND if he doesn't allow you to load early I'd ask him why. But as Blue said I personally think he's just trying to create casual conversation, but at the same time is genuinely wanting to get you to think if nothing else. Again great to see you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity