U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 PM

49 posts, read 138,297 times

Advertisements

I have been told by numerous Christians that they are: "born-again" Christians, and not as the others. However, from talking to so many of these so-called "born-again" individuals, I see that they also have much uncertainty about the scriptures, and many, many differences in opinion about such things as Truth / God / Jesus / Spirit / Divine Law / etc! I mean that, even though they call themselves "born-again", they still cannot agree with each other about so many Spiritual things, and also on the true meaning of so many Biblical passages, etc. etc! I still see so much confusion and disagreement between the so-called "born-againers"!

So, my question is this: "What, exactly, is the experience which determines that one is "born-again"? How do all you, that claim to be "born-again", know that what you say is actually true? Is it your mind which is telling you this? Or have you experienced the Beatific Vision / Vision of the Shekhinah (as Moses on the mountain)? Have you HEARD the "Voice" of God (as so many ancients did)?

This is a very serious question, which I think a lot of people would like answered. So, ALL you "born-againers", please let us know your experiences. Thank you ALL.

Peace & Love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,693,803 times
I think born again (a term I somewhat dislike) simply means that you turn your life over to Jesus Christ and live for him. Do the Father's will for your life and your familys and not your own.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:05 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,440,071 times
It's sort of like beauty. It's in the eye of the beholder. To me, it implies that the person just thought they were saved, and then they found out they weren't. So then, the new realization came with the knowledge that their faith had been restored and they had been born-again.

What bothers me the most is that it also implies that one can be saved, fall away, and then be saved again. Some denominations teach that such a thing is possible, others, teach that once saved, always saved. Here again, we have another entire field of discussion.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:06 PM

21,614 posts, read 30,183,450 times
John 3: 3-6 " Jesus replied, I assure you, unless you are born again you can never see the Kingdom of God. What do you mean exclaimed Nicodemus. How can an old man go back into his mothers womb and be born again? Jesus replied The truth is no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit. Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives new life from Heaven".
Jesus was explaining the importance of a spiritual rebirth, saying that people don't enter Heaven by living a better life, but by being spiritually reborn. It is not my mind telling me this but my heart, the Holy Spirit speaking to my spirit. And I do believe the Bible, God's Word is true.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:08 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,529,838 times
The phrase born again literally means "born from above".It is a change of heart -a spiritual transformation new birth,being born again is an act of God whereby eternal life is imparted to the person who believes.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:13 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,179,773 times
Being "born again" is the same thing as being "saved". I know, I know, it's another term that causes questions. It actually comes from John chapter 3 when Jesus is speaking to Nicodemus. Jesus told Nicodemus that unless he was born again he would not see the kingdom of heaven. Nicodemus was confused by this and asked how a man could be born again - could he go back into his mother's womb? Jesus explained that there are two births, that of water (physical birth) and that of the Spirit (spiritual birth).

To sum it up, being born again simply means that you have committed your life to Jesus. (Which consists of believing that Jesus was who he said he was, and confessing your sins.) This should result in you becoming a new person (spiritually). The New Testament refers to us becoming a new creation, the old has passed away. People's attitude and approach to life should change once they have dedicated their lives to Christ. Unfortunately, you have many people who talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk.

As for differing doctrines, you are right...there are many different denominations. Personally, I doubt any of us has it completely right. However, I don't think that we disagree on the main thing which is a need for salvation. Everything else is minor in comparison.

I feel like I was rambling, I hope this made sense.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:38 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,179,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Ben-Shema View Post

So, my question is this: "What, exactly, is the experience which determines that one is "born-again"? How do all you, that claim to be "born-again", know that what you say is actually true? Is it your mind which is telling you this? Or have you experienced the Beatific Vision / Vision of the Shekhinah (as Moses on the mountain)? Have you HEARD the "Voice" of God (as so many ancients did)?
I just wanted to add that the experience which determines that one is born again is praying the prayer of repentance and commitment. Once you have done that you are born again.

As for the visions or hearing the voice of God, no, this doesn't happen. There are no flashing lights or anything like that, just an inner peace that makes you know for certain that things have changed. Unless you have experienced it, it is hard to put into words.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:52 PM

55,485 posts, read 74,383,428 times
Quote:
I have been told by numerous Christians that they are: "born-again" Christians, and not as the others. However, from talking to so many of these so-called "born-again" individuals, I see that they also have much uncertainty about the scriptures, and many, many differences in opinion about such things as Truth / God / Jesus / Spirit / Divine Law / etc! I mean that, even though they call themselves "born-again", they still cannot agree with each other about so many Spiritual things, and also on the true meaning of so many Biblical passages, etc. etc! I still see so much confusion and disagreement between the so-called "born-againers"!

This is a very serious question, which I think a lot of people would like answered. So, ALL you "born-againers", please let us know your experiences. Thank you ALL.

Peace & Love
well you dont get it doing arm chair philosophy which i am sure you dont do or you would not be asking these questions, no?
i have noted, all the arm chair philosophers disappear mysteriously on a burning sinking ship. born again, it usually comes when people are at an impass often when things are not going great. being clever has not worked. its an emotional experience and has to do with yielding ones own personal will to a higher power. as to ancients speaking to god, i have heard him two times speak to me. nothing earth shaking, some simple instructions but boy did it resolve a lot of problems. so there you have it, i am one of those people your parents told you not to speak to, a guy that talks with god.
here is another one that the harry potter people may not have told you about.

some people that do this weird stuff, talking to god, end up very very rich and very very smart, and even very very happy. they do it speaking and more important listening to god.
i know several of them.
good luck on your search.

stephen s
san diego, ca

Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 PM

3,540 posts, read 6,069,667 times
Quote:

Peace & Love

It's a new pair of glasses

Old 09-15-2007, 03:30 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,475,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
John 3: 3-6 " Jesus replied, I assure you, unless you are born again you can never see the Kingdom of God. What do you mean exclaimed Nicodemus. How can an old man go back into his mothers womb and be born again? Jesus replied The truth is no one can enter the Kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit. Humans can reproduce only human life, but the Holy Spirit gives new life from Heaven".
Jesus was explaining the importance of a spiritual rebirth, saying that people don't enter Heaven by living a better life, but by being spiritually reborn. It is not my mind telling me this but my heart, the Holy Spirit speaking to my spirit. And I do believe the Bible, God's Word is true.
Excellent.

It's the shedding of the old self for the new self.

The self as defined by the work of Jesus Christ.

And I doubt that you will find much disagreement as you get closer to the crux of the matter.

If you look at the Christian faith with a magnifying glass, with Jesus in the center, the farther you get out from Him, the more out of focus things get. But as long as He is in focus, one is 'born again', not from a womb, but by blood....His blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity