Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:49 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
According to Scripture, Evangelism is a particular office (a calling for an individual) of the mystical Church (ie the "Body of Christ").
Not to get picky, but an "evangelist" is a preacher, specifically a traveling preacher, such as those Jesus Christ called to preach His gospel. "Evangelism" is the practice of going out and teaching the gospel.

Quote:
I see JWs and Baptists going door to door. I haven't seen any other denomination/group doing this.
Uh... you might want to rethink that statement.

Last edited by Katzpur; 04-15-2012 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 07:09 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
once saved always saved is a saying I've heard also. Salvation is a gift and cannot be taken away because you've done something wrong. If you give a gift to someone for Christmas or their birthday, you don't take it away when you get mad at them for whatever reason. So goes the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ. God gives this gift of salvation to anyone who wants it. It's free and He will never take it away because He loves us just as we love our children.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Not to get picky, but an "evangelist" is a preacher, specifically a traveling preacher, such as those Jesus Christ called to preach His gospel. "Evangelism" is the practice of going out and teaching the gospel.
Strong's G2099 - euaggelistēs
1) a bringer of good tidings, an evangelist
2) the name given to the NT heralds of salvation through Christ who are not apostles
Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

Ephesians 4:7-11

7But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

8Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9(Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

There seems to be a distinction of pastors/teachers and evangelists. The Pastor/teachers is of service to the believers/saved. The evangelists' focus is on spreading the "good news" of the gospel to the unsaved - unmerited Free Gift Salvation in Christ.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:51 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Strong's G2099 - euaggelistēs
1) a bringer of good tidings, an evangelist
2) the name given to the NT heralds of salvation through Christ who are not apostles
Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

Ephesians 4:7-11

7But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

8Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9(Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

11And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

There seems to be a distinction of pastors/teachers and evangelists. The Pastor/teachers is of service to the believers/saved. The evangelists' focus is on spreading the "good news" of the gospel to the unsaved - unmerited Free Gift Salvation in Christ.
I can agree with that.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 PM

461 posts, read 480,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
once saved always saved is a saying I've heard also. Salvation is a gift and cannot be taken away because you've done something wrong. If you give a gift to someone for Christmas or their birthday, you don't take it away when you get mad at them for whatever reason. So goes the gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ. God gives this gift of salvation to anyone who wants it. It's free and He will never take it away because He loves us just as we love our children.
This verse might make you think. "Walk in the light while you have it or darkness will come over you."

Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I drove past a church with a sign "Evangelical Lutheran Church."
I think the root of the word evangelical has something to do with "good news" in Greek (believe I read that). I've certainly had people other than JWs come to the door, and never any Baptists. Mormons, yes.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
IMHO, most denominations, even though they may have a long list of common beliefs, have a wide variety of things going on in their member churches. To say a Presbyterian church teaches X, or a Baptist church teaches Y, is a broad generalization. Today, when you walk in any church on Sunday morning, there is no telling what you might see or hear or smell. However, I always in my assumptions lump Baptist and Evangelical in the same group. Generally these people are morally conservative, and they believe in "Jesus", whatever that means, but that's about as far as I'd go in saying what they share.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
I find it interesting that some mainline denominations like the Lutherans will put the word "evangelical" in front of their church name. If we are teaching that Christ died for our sins, there is only one way to heaven and that is through salvation given by God through Jesus Christ, then that is what an evangelical church believes.

I'm not sure why there is a need to put the word evangelical in front of the name except maybe it tells the public they are more conservative than other Lutheran churches.

On the denomination line I am considered a Baptist. However I was raised a good Catholic boy and left the church at about age 20. I've attended Vineyard churches, charismatic, Assemblies of God, Lutheran and probably others I cannot remember. They are all very different and draw a different crowd. But one thing is for sure, the only true church is not any one denomination. The true church is the body of believers, those who have accepted God gift of eternal life through Jesus Christ.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princely View Post
This verse might make you think. "Walk in the light while you have it or darkness will come over you."
- I like it.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
when i hear evangelical i dont think of any particular demonination, i think of a christian who is too busy with politics. the term 'evangelical right' springs to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity