Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 02:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
B My bondage with Catholicism was about over.

More than a decade after my departure from Catholicisim, I was born again as a Christian from above.

Most of my Family is Catholic. They could not care less about the Scriptures.
There are fewer things more annoying than the packaged answer "I was born again and have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior." Gee, isn't that what the New Testament is about, which is what is read as the second reading and the Gospel at a Catholic Mass, and serves as the basis for the homily (sermon)? Even Catholics can't come up with such packaged answers.

It's not that Catholics don't care about Scriptures. What do you think people study in preparing to be clergy members? Some of the most brilliant and respected theologians come from the Catholic church and they don't have televangelists with 800 numbers. And yes, the Catholic church has some black eyes from past scandals, but so do some televangelists and grass roots churches.

Back to Scriptures. It's not that Catholics don't care, it's that they don't spout Bible verses as they go about the business of living, and you don't see them at Starbucks with their Bibles open, looking somber. Everyone I know that went from being a Catholic to being a fundie has become a major thorn in the side - they all became preachy. Those who became Episcopal, Lutheran or Greek Orthodox to accommodate a marriage are STILL normal people.

I say bring on the Catholics and a good St. Patty's day bash or the Greek Orthodox with their festivals with lamb gyros, baklava and traditional folkloric dancing. Live life!

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-21-2012 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 03:23 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There are fewer things more annoying than the packaged answer "I was born again and have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior." Gee, isn't that what the New Testament is about, which is what is read as the second reading and the Gospel at a Catholic Mass, and serves as the basis for the homily (sermon)? Even Catholics can't come up with such packaged answers.
Most Catholics I know have the Catholic vs Protestant paradigm. You've confirm my concerns that the Scriptures aren't taught or understood by those professing Catholics. Christianity is much much more than coming to Christ. That's a starting gun not a finish line.

Quote:
It's not that Catholics don't care about Scriptures. What do you think people study in preparing to be clergy members? Some of the most brilliant and respected theologians come from the Catholic church and they don't have televangelists with 800 numbers. And yes, the Catholic church has some black eyes from past scandals, but so do some televangelists.
Once again the Catholic - Protestant/Televangelist left right paradigm. Both are in error. No one that knows the Scriptures are defending the televangelists.

Quote:
Back to Scriptures. It's not that Catholics don't care, it's that they don't spout Bible verses as they go about the business of living, and you don't see them at Starbucks with their Bibles open, looking somber. Everyone I know that went from being a Catholic to being a fundie has become a major thorn in the side - they all became preachy.
Catholics really don't know the Scriptures, or else they would realize that the Aaronic Priesthood has been abolished and superceded by Jesus Christ sole mediator of God to Man (1 Timothy 2:5). They'd also realize they are free from the bondage of the Mosaic Law (Galatians 3,5)(Romans 7) being Justified by being in Christ alone.

The reason Christians are "preachy" about it is because Catholics claim the title Christian. We are to correct doctrinal error.

Quote:
I say bring on the Catholics and a good St. Patty's day bash or the Greek Orthodox with their festivals with lamb gyros, baklava and traditional folkloric dancing. Live life!
You think God would condone a day set aside that's used as an excuse to get beligerent drunk in his name? That's what the concern is. Are Catholics and Christians worshipping the same God in Jesus Christ? If I said you were someone else how would you feel about it?

Jesus illuminates who he is in his word. In the end, it's who he defines as Christian that matters (Matt 7).

Old 04-21-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
The reason Christians are "preachy" about it is because Catholics claim the title Christian. We are to correct doctrinal error.

You think God would condone a day set aside that's used as an excuse to get beligerent drunk in his name?
No, all of these people got preachy because they needed to justify their screw-ups and are now super self-righteous once joining an auditorium mega-church. Not only that, they switched their political views as a consequence. Whose place is it to correct doctrinal error - some church that began in Wichita KS or Waco TX in the 1800s, or the original church where Jesus gave Peter the instructions to found his church. The preachier people are, the more messed up they are. That's what I've found. I don't proselytize.

You don't have to get drunk on Saint Patty's day, I go for the corned beef. Ditto for the lamb gyros at a Greek Orthodox event.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:02 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:

It's not that Catholics don't care about Scriptures. What do you think people study in preparing to be clergy members? Some of the most brilliant and respected theologians come from the Catholic church and they don't have televangelists with 800 numbers. And yes, the Catholic church has some black eyes from past scandals, but so do some televangelists and grass roots churches.

Back to Scriptures. It's not that Catholics don't care, it's that they don't spout Bible verses as they go about the business of living, and you don't see them at Starbucks with their Bibles open, looking somber. Everyone I know that went from being a Catholic to being a fundie has become a major thorn in the side - they all became preachy. Those who became Episcopal, Lutheran or Greek Orthodox to accommodate a marriage are STILL normal people.

Good post. I cant give you more reputation at the moment, but I like your argument.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2012, 12:30 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:

I agree with the spirit of your post.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:07 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:

Last time I looked, all who follow Jesus are Christians. By definition. You are wrong when you use personal interpretations of scripture to determine who is Christian and who is not.

BTW, in all my years in Catholic schools I never once heard anyone, Pope, Bishop. Monseigneur (sp?), parish priest, fellow ordinary people, EVER say that non-Catholics were not Christian. I think it quite interesting that it is certain kinds of non Catholic Christians who obsess with the Catholic Church and say Catholics are not Christian.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I think it quite interesting that it is certain kinds of non Catholic Christians who obsess with the Catholic Church and say Catholics are not Christian.
Personally, I've never seen bigger idiocy than this assertion. How a religion that adheres only to the Old and New Testaments in NOT Christian is beyond me. While these groups may not want to call us Christians, we Catholics don't label fundies non-Christians...just preachy and intellectually limited, for the most part.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 AM

467 posts, read 467,542 times
Until the printing press there was no bibles.. For sixteen hundred years it was the Holy Catholic Church that Brought Jesus and salvation to the world!
The Holy Catholic Church.. TAUGHT Jesus from the Pulpit!

Bibles were very, very few in number.. ONLY..
Only the very rich could own a bible.. "They were works of art!"
Besides, Most people could not even read!!!

The idea of "Scriptures ALONE" is not logical, it is not scriptural!
The idea of; "All man needs is the scriptures", rejecting the Church: First appeared, sixteen hundred years AFTER Jesus!

Scriptures are very clear..
Jesus formed a TEACHING CHURCH!

Jesus gave his ONLY Church, all the authority of God to TEACH all nations!
The Great Commission:
18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

The "CATHOLIC CHURCH" is the pillar and the foundation of truth, >>> Jesus did not form any protestant churches!!

1 Timothy 3:15
if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.

Jesus is ALWAYS WITH his Church!

Jesus loves his CHURCH he died for his church!
The CHURCH Jesus formed is HOLY.. "BLAMELESS!"
The protester must reject the scriptures, to BLAME the Holy Catholic Church!

Ephesians 5:27
and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.

Luther the first "De-former" said.. "Satan is the head of the Catholic Church!"
He rejected: "I am always with you even to the very end of the age"!
Luther believed that somehow; "Satan overpowered Jesus, that Satan TOOK Jesus' body from Jesus!"

For protestants to be in protest against Jesus and his bride; The protestant must believe; Jesus lied..
That God said.. "I am always with you" BUT...
But they the protester, must believe that Jesus said; "I am always with you even to the very end of the age" knowing as he said this..: That sixteen hundred years later, at the "de-formation" Jesus would leave his bride, for the thousands and thousands of man made bodies!
>>>>>Do you understand??!!<<<<<<
Protestants must reject the scriptures to stay in protest!
Rejecting the scriptures.. Jesus words IS..
Is rejecting Jesus!

~Catholic's believe the scriptures!!~

Dogknox

Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Last time I looked, all who follow Jesus are Christians. By definition. You are wrong when you use personal interpretations of scripture to determine who is Christian and who is not.

BTW, in all my years in Catholic schools I never once heard anyone, Pope, Bishop. Monseigneur (sp?), parish priest, fellow ordinary people, EVER say that non-Catholics were not Christian. I think it quite interesting that it is certain kinds of non Catholic Christians who obsess with the Catholic Church and say Catholics are not Christian.
It's not that the Vatican has a different interpretation of Scripture. It is that they feel they have the Authority to SUPERCEDE Scripture. Contrary to popular belief, the Bible is prettly clear in it's message.

In the end, what matter is who God calls Christian.

Matthew 7

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Luke 8:20-21

20And it was told him by certain which said, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee.

21And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.

These passages aren't open to various interpretations. It is pretty clear.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:23 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
Quote:
It's not that the Vatican has a different interpretation of Scripture. It is that they feel they have the Authority to SUPERCEDE Scripture. Contrary to popular belief, the Bible is prettly clear in it's message.

In the end, what matter is who God calls Christian.

Matthew 7

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Luke 8:20-21

20And it was told him by certain which said, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee.

21And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.

These passages aren't open to various interpretations. It is pretty clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity