U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,877,729 times

Advertisements

for those who believe in the devil/satan etc... why is it that people blame him for everything?
back pain? the devil
flu? the devil preventing you from going to church
broke leg? the devil
lost job? the devil

this charlatan gets blamed for all types of things. a lot of people give this guy omni-presency. and all power. he cannot be in NYC and cali at the same time. i doubt he travels at the speed of light? what are your thoughts on the the statement " the devil made me do it". this is for those who believe in this character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 AM

467 posts, read 369,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
for those who believe in the devil/satan etc... why is it that people blame him for everything?
back pain? the devil
broke leg? the devil
lost job? the devil

this charlatan gets blamed for all types of things. a lot of people give this guy omni-presency. and all power. he cannot be in NYC and cali at the same time. i doubt he travels at the speed of light? what are your thoughts on the the statement " the devil made me do it". this is for those who believe in this character.
I reply... He is spirit.. He lives outside of time.. Sooo Yes, he can be everyplace at the same time!

Satan "Hates all men"!
Satan can't love, he has already been judged!
He is pure HATE! He can't change.. he has been judged!
He can't sit on the fence, "lukewarm" as men can!

Revelation 3:15
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other!
16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

Same with Angels, they have been judged, they are spirits of LOVE they can't hate!

Satan hates all man.. Stinking lowly Man, sits to the right of the Father..In the very place the great proud Satan wants to sit!

Dogknox

Old 04-18-2012, 08:53 AM

8,767 posts, read 10,864,802 times
Apparently you are saying that "you do not believe in this character" (not sure if you are referring to his existence, power or what you characterize as people who say, "the devil made me do it." (I'm not certain who you are referring to, since most Christians recognize that Satan only has the authority we give him ... by our refusal to stand firm on the Word and truth of God).

According to scripture, Satan and his demons cover a lot of ground, but, as you suggest, Satan is a created being and does not have God's power, omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence. According to scripture, Satan has no authority to 'force' people to do anything. However, he is smarter and more deceptive than we are. That is why our defense is to 'stand firm in the truth and ways of God' (aka: 'put on His armor and righteousness').

Spiritual warfare is not for Spiritual babies, many of whom do not understand what they are getting into and are thus, easily deceived. You would do well to consult scripture for your information about Satan and God ... instead of relying on 'blanket perceptions or opinions.'

Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,877,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Apparently you are saying that "you do not believe in this character" .'
He sure does exist. Please dont misquote me. He is limited in power and can only do what God allows him to do.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM

5,663 posts, read 4,379,703 times
On a slightly skewed note i had a very powerful motorbike a few years ago and a habit of speeding. Under the numberplate it said "The Devil made me do it Officer!"

Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM

2,435 posts, read 2,848,677 times
As intelligent beings, we are not automatons lacking free will. God instilled in us minds and hearts that motivate us according to our individual personalities. Unfortuanately, human nature can be selfish and even trecherous depending on such things as environment and social conditioning. But yes, there is also a great influence and encouragement towards evil that does exist and is not to be underestimated.

Long ago the Great Dragon, also called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; was hurled down and his angels were hurled down with him."—Revelation 12: 7-9. What were the consequences for the human family? The prophecy continues: "Woe for the earth and for the sea, because the Devil has come down to you, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time." Yes, Satan knows that his system is nearing its end, so he is doing everything he can to turn humans against God before he and his world are put out of the way. How debased those spirit creatures are because they misused their free will! How awful conditions have been on earth under their influence, especially since 1914!

The Bible clearly shows that an intelligent, unseen person has been controlling both men and nations. It says: "The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.
On an occasion when Jesus was "tempted by the Devil," He did not question Satan's role as the ruler of this world. The Bible explains what happened: "The Devil took him along to an unusually high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory, and he said to him: 'All these things I will give you if you fall down and do an act of worship to me.' Then Jesus said to him: 'Go away, Satan!"

So we can understand that The Devil or his unseen minions need not physically possess one in order to control their desires or free will. TV and other forms of media are already accomplishing this without ever coming in physical contact with those affected by their programming and advertising campaigns.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 AM

28,545 posts, read 15,485,205 times
Quote:
back pain? the devil
broke leg? the devil
lost job? the devil

Agreed. Other demonic angels exist, but in general I concur w/ your opinion.

I also think people can overlook their own sinfulness as a reason for missing the mark.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,904,196 times
Quote:
He sure does exist. Please dont misquote me. He is limited in power and can only do what God allows him to do.
Entrapment!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,480,385 times
Quote:
back pain? the devil
broke leg? the devil
lost job? the devil

Because it gives them an out, an excuse .

Rather than acknowledge that they have sinful thoughts or biological urges ( not me, i'm religious!) like everyone else, they invented a scapegoat to blame it on.

I've seen the phrase "Satan is attacking me" sooooooo many times on this forum that it's laughable.

Just my little former Fundy opinion!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM

5,178 posts, read 3,904,196 times
Quote:
back pain? the devil
broke leg? the devil
lost job? the devil

IMHO..... the belief that "satan" has Godlike power over we pitiful humans is the result of a complete misrepresentation of "satan" by the third and fourth century elitist theologians, who misrepresented the Jewish beliefs as to who and what "satan" was. The result? Many Christians attribute to "satan" God like powers over we humans. In popular culture, "satan" is practically the superior to God, who is often portrayed and shivering in some pacifist corner, unable to exercise His power over the cosmos.

'Tis a pity that we "modern" humans are so uneducated as to the original characterization of "satan" and continue to accept the heresies of folks like Augustine and Aquinas as the sources of our beliefs about "satan" and "free will"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity