Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 05:33 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,850,449 times

Advertisements

I figured I should start a thread rather than bring up a side issue on someone elses thread. I have a question for those who believe that "good works" are part of being justified before God. So here's the question. When do you know when you've done enough good works? Is there a minimum requirement? Is there a minimum quota each year? Does it depend on your ability or opportunity? I mean, when is enough good works enough to qualify you for heaven. Does this mean when you reach the gates of heaven, St. Peter looks over your stats, and tells you no dice", cause you just missed it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,121,088 times
Of course not. None of us have. We can't be saved by works.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 AM

6,370 posts, read 6,993,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I figured I should start a thread rather than bring up a side issue on someone elses thread. I have a question for those who believe that "good works" are part of being justified before God. So here's the question. When do you know when you've done enough good works? Is there a minimum requirement? Is there a minimum quota each year? Does it depend on your ability or opportunity? I mean, when is enough good works enough to qualify you for heaven. Does this mean when you reach the gates of heaven, St. Peter looks over your stats, and tells you no dice", cause you just missed it?
It isn't a question about ENOUGH Good Works, is that we don't stop doing them. If we have Faith then surely we MUST do GOOD Works also. It is the GOOD Works that are being measured. But the scriptures address this question:

Luk 19:11 And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear.
Luk 19:12 He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.
Luk 19:13 And he called his ten servants, and delivered them ten pounds, and said unto them, Occupy till I come.
Luk 19:14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a message after him, saying, We will not have this man to reign over us.
Luk 19:15 And it came to pass, that when he was returned, having received the kingdom, then he commanded these servants to be called unto him, to whom he had given the money, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading.
Luk 19:16 Then came the first, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained ten pounds.
Luk 19:17 And he said unto him, Well, thou good servant: because thou hast been faithful in a very little, have thou authority over ten cities.
Luk 19:18 And the second came, saying, Lord, thy pound hath gained five pounds.
Luk 19:19 And he said likewise to him, Be thou also over five cities.
Luk 19:20 And another came, saying, Lord, behold, here is thy pound, which I have kept laid up in a napkin:
Luk 19:21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.
Luk 19:22 And he saith unto him, Out of thine own mouth will I judge thee, thou wicked servant. Thou knewest that I was an austere man, taking up that I laid not down, and reaping that I did not sow:
Luk 19:23 Wherefore then gavest not thou my money into the bank, that at my coming I might have required mine own with usury?
Luk 19:24 And he said unto them that stood by, Take from him the pound, and give it to him that hath ten pounds.
Luk 19:25 (And they said unto him, Lord, he hath ten pounds.)
Luk 19:26 For I say unto you, That unto every one which hath shall be given; and from him that hath not, even that he hath shall be taken away from him.
Luk 19:27 But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me.

So in the parable above. Those who gained from what they received were worthy. For the master came to seek increase. Those that did not but still retained were taken from.

So as long as we are making progress and producing works from the good Faith the Lord gives us then ENOUGH has been met. All He asks is that we increase.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:33 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,338,763 times
Quote:
Hi Prairieparson,

Like trettep, I agree that it isn't a question of an "amount" of good works that would be somehow "sufficient." It's a lifestyle thing. We all strive to abide in Christ, and rejoice as the works come forth. It's not about a quantity, even though the more good we are able to do, the more we manifest Christ, the better life is for everyone!

Since it's the Spirit within us that must come forth, sometimes the "work" is simply to "wait upon the Lord" and to be patient. If we wait for Him to come forth, He will. If we jump ahead impulsively, we will miss the Spirit.
It's not always easy.

Blessings,
brian

Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 AM

908 posts, read 1,113,443 times
Sounds like your question is a bit patronizing. You have to understand the basic words Jesus uses. Please review them.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:51 PM

461 posts, read 478,278 times
Mankind thinks good works are of the flesh but the One who comes from God sees the world bathed in light, he knows the works of God and walks honestly.So you must walk in the light while you have it or darkness will come over you.
"The One who is sent by God , he speaks the words of God".

Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM

27,914 posts, read 29,727,261 times
Quote:
It's definitely not a matter of how many good works you do. It's a matter of commitment, whether how you behave matches up with what you say. If you're truly walking the walk instead of just talking the talk, you've done enough.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM

7,708 posts, read 12,556,053 times
Quote:

No because the Bible your works mean nothing without faith. You must have faith first. Your works for God definitely matter to him. You will be rewarded in Heaven for them. But they are not a requirement for salvation or entrance into Heaven. What you need to do is accept Christ as your savior and the son of God and confess that. Then you can do all the works in the world for him.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times
Quote:
Does it depend on your ability or opportunity.......are part of being justified before God ?

No. "all our righteous acts are like filthy rages"
One can keep every law \ command \ do every good work and they still will be doa when facing a God who demands that you are to be holy\perfect.

It's a "either or" proposition. The entire OT and NT reveals that one is justified by faith in a perfect subsitute from the wrath of God.
If one does not trust in the sacrifice God provides by faith... then all the attempts\ commitments that one can possibly attempt does not remove the wrath of God.

Last edited by twin.spin; 04-19-2012 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 03:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,850,449 times
Thank you all for your answers, and you all pretty much seem to have the right idea, IMHO. Please note that the question was addressed to those who think that their good works are part of their justification. I certainly didn't intend to sound condescending. I'm asking a serious question? For example, In Roman Catholic theology, if you don't do enough good works, when you die, you go to purgatory, and there suffer some more until you've suffered enough to pay the temporal punishments. This is partly why they have masses said for the dead. The idea is that whatever grace God gives is allocated to that person who is suffering in purgatory, and takes time off their sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity