Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:40 PM

505 posts, read 571,753 times

Advertisements

Especially if they are Christian's themselves?
When a known Christian passes you can always remind the family that the departed is with Jesus in Heaven. No more pain, no more sorrow, no more disease, suffering or fear. Eternal happiness and unlimited joy in the company of the creator for all eternity.
That won't work with the family of an atheist/agnostic/unbeliever. The family already has a pretty good idea what the future of the atheist holds. This leaves me without my stand-by comfort offering. I find myself searching for ANY kind of consoling words to speak.
Any advice, any words I can use? How do you deal with it?
How do you deal with a family member who's an atheist who has passed? This would be unbearable to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 07:57 PM

9,940 posts, read 4,875,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
When a known Christian passes you can always remind the family that the departed is with Jesus in Heaven. No more pain, no more sorrow, no more disease, suffering or fear. Eternal happiness and unlimited joy in the company of the creator for all eternity.
That won't work with the family of an atheist/agnostic/unbeliever. The family already has a pretty good idea what the future of the atheist holds. This leaves me without my stand-by comfort offering. I find myself searching for ANY kind of consoling words to speak.
How do you deal with a family member who's an atheist who has passed? This would be unbearable to me!
Perhaps you could read to the family Romans 6 v 7.

Romans 6 v 23 says the price tag or wages that sin pays is ' death '.
As with Adam there is No post-mortem penalty mentioned. Just that death stamps the price tag of sin as Paid in Full.
The exception is if one has committed the unforgivable sin mentioned at Matthew 12 v 32; Hebrews 6 vs 4-6
Just being an atheist, etc. does Not automatically place a person in that category because we can not read hearts.
So, in the meantime, that means there could be hope. Not a hope of being resurrected to heavenly life, but a hope of being resurrected back to healthy physical life on earth starting with Jesus' coming 1000-year kingdom reign over earth.

Romans 6 v 7 mentions that the one who has died [ in this case the atheist ] is freed or acquitted from sin.
That does Not make a person now innocent, but rather as a governor can pardon a person so the crime charges do Not stick, Jesus as Judge can pardon a person so the sin charges no longer stick. Those resurrected on earth will be judged on how they respond and what they do ' after ' they are resurrected on earth - Acts 24 v 15
By the end of Jesus millennium-long day of reigning over a paradisaic earth our last enemy ' death ' will be gone forever.
-1st Cor. 15 v 26; Rev 21 vs 4,5. So, those alive on earth at that time frame will have gained healthy everlasting life on earth as originally offered to Adam before his downfall.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:01 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,742,287 times
Yours is a good question and the reality is there is not much you can truthfully 'say' to persuade them that their loved one is now in heaven and enjoying God's presence. (And is that really what you want to do?) If they are Christians themselves, they already know and are probably grieving over the fate of their loved one. The best you can do is sincerely tell them that you are sorry for their loss --and then be available to help them talk about their loss and feelings.

Having conducted a few funerals for non-Christians, I've sometimes truthfully said, "If they could come back and talk with you today, they would tell you to get right with the Lord by trusting your life and heart to Jesus Christ today;" ... leading into a Gospel presentation.

Funerals are a time when people confront their own mortality and start to think seriously about their own eternal destination. I'm not suggesting an overbearing or insensitive approach, but, Believers will not be offended by the Gospel truth and it is no time to 'sugar-coat' that truth for non-believers.

Last edited by jghorton; 03-02-2014 at 08:35 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 08:01 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,003,465 times
Having attended many dozens of funerals and been honoured to serve as pallbearer at over 20, I'm your guy for this one.

Shake the hand/hug/kiss the grieving family/best friends (depending on the closeness of your relationships) and say to each: "I'm so sorry."

And if you truly care about them, call or drop an email or an invite for coffee in a couple/few weeks. Many fair-weather friends will have forgotten about their loss by then. Don't be afraid to ask how they're doing since the funeral. Give them an opening to talk about their lost loved one and their feelings.

Try to be supportive by listening without being judgmental.

Just be a friend.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,192,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Yours is a good question and the reality is there is not much you can truthfully 'say' to persuade them that their loved one is now in heaven and enjoying God's presence. (And is that really what you want to do?) If they are Christians themselves, they already know and are probably grieving over the fate of their loved one. The best you can do is sincerely tell them that you are sorry for their loss --and then be available to help them talk about their loss and feelings.

Having conducted a few funerals for non-Christians, I've sometimes truthfully said, "If they could come back and talk with you today, they would tell you to get right with the Lord by trusting your life and heart to Jesus Christ today;" ... leading into a Gospel presentation. Funerals are a time when people confront their own mortality and start to think seriously about their own eternal destination. I'm not suggesting an overbearing or insensitive approach, but, it is also no time to 'sugar-coat' the truth with non-believers.
A lot of wisdom and insight in this post.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:15 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,234,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Having attended many dozens of funerals and been honoured to serve as pallbearer at over 20, I'm your guy for this one.

Shake the hand/hug/kiss the grieving family/best friends (depending on the closeness of your relationships) and say to each: "I'm so sorry."

And if you truly care about them, call or drop an email or an invite for coffee in a couple/few weeks. Many fair-weather friends will have forgotten about their loss by then. Don't be afraid to ask how they're doing since the funeral. Give them an opening to talk about their lost loved one and their feelings.

Just be a friend.
^This is good.

I have a pastor friend that officiated a funeral for a family in his church. Their son with mental problems decided to step in front of a train. I asked him what he would say if they asked him about their son's salvation. He said in situations like that, he tells people that their loved one is in the hands of a loving God.

No one knows what goes through a persons mind in the last moment on earth, what he may say or not say to the Lord.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Just be a friend.
Great advice !
An " I'm sorry for your loss" and a sincere hug /hand shake means a lot to the next of kin.

My wife's funeral wake was December 6/7.

On of the most sincere was a neighbor/friend who just shook my hand, nodded, and mentioned my name.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:42 AM

37,042 posts, read 41,967,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Having conducted a few funerals for non-Christians, I've sometimes truthfully said, "If they could come back and talk with you today, they would tell you to get right with the Lord by trusting your life and heart to Jesus Christ today;" ... leading into a Gospel presentation.

Funerals are a time when people confront their own mortality and start to think seriously about their own eternal destination. I'm not suggesting an overbearing or insensitive approach, but, Believers will not be offended by the Gospel truth and it is no time to 'sugar-coat' that truth for non-believers.
I think this is horrible.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:16 AM

32,529 posts, read 21,834,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think this is horrible.
I realize that you are just speaking your mind, but let's not turn this into a religious debate...

Old 03-03-2014, 08:34 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,420,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
From a Christian pov ... there isn't any meaningful comforting words for those who die without faith in the Lord.
All that can be said is something to the effect I'm sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity