Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:51 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
But Kay, God gave them those sexual urges, didn't He? Just like He gave the urge to seek warmth and food and comfort. It's an urge that stays important. It may have been to insure procreation, but the drive to have sex, lasts a lot longer than the ability to have children.

Is it just possible that He was prohibiting any sex that was endangering the marriage bonds?
Are you talking about adultery only? I can only say that for me personally, certified Bible thumper, fanatic extremist that I am , I interpret the Bible's use of the word "fornication" to mean sex outside of marriage, any time, any place, any age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 01:54 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,760 times
Quote:
I'm confused, I could have sworn that there was another post between my last two? Can you delete a post and it completly disappears?
And, poof.. it was gone!! Was it your imagination??? Could be..... !

Yes, someone can delete their message that quickly if they decide it's not what they wanted to say. That's why nearly all the time I use the quote function because if you do, even when the post is deleted, it will remain in your reply.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:00 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I was beginning to thing I had slipped a cog. No, what you said didn't make me angry, not by a long shot. It's that I have been around a long, long time and I know several fine church going couples in their golden years that have a wonderful relationship, that may or may not include sex. I suspect that it does.

It's usually a money thing. She usually has a great pension due to her late husband's employment and he doesn't have anything except Social Security. The people involved in these couplings, take care of each other and make living alone much easier. I know one couple where he drives and she doesn't. She couldn't get to church without his help. Sinful? I think not.

It's difficult to think that a loving God would disapprove of two people caring and loving each other.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
And, poof.. it was gone!! Was it your imagination??? Could be..... !

Yes, someone can delete their message that quickly if they decide it's not what they wanted to say. That's why nearly all the time I use the quote function because if you do, even when the post is deleted, it will remain in your reply.
One thing, though... if it was deleted by a moderator, we'll cut your quoted portion (and usually the whole response) too.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:20 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
One thing, though... if it was deleted by a moderator, we'll cut your quoted portion (and usually the whole response) too.
Yes, that's true. I've seen "orphaned quote" several times. I've also seen entire threads disappear and thought ... hmmm, maybe I dreamt it all

Old 09-18-2007, 07:56 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
The bottom line is, regardless of what religion anyone is, two people living together has not been anything unusual for ages now. It may be scripturally wrong, but that doesnt stop people in the world from doing so. Though I have to admit, after seeing people living together, Ive seen people end up happily married forever. Then I see people run like they were running from the blazes of Soddom and Gomorrah and not look back, after a year or so.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Sex outside of marriage is considered fornication, a sin, and when somebody asks for forgiveness by accepting Jesus as their Lord and Savior, they have to be sincere about their repentence of past sins, and forgiveness does not give anyone the right to go back to a sinful lifestyle, then ask for forgiveness again, God doesn't work that way because he knows your motives and how sincere you are.
Very good post Magnum Mike,God will forgive us of our sins no matter what the sin,but we have to have true repentance from the heart. rep 1+

Old 09-18-2007, 08:25 PM

7,995 posts, read 12,270,698 times
Default June just wonders...

Quote:

It's difficult to think that a loving God would disapprove of two people caring and loving each other.
This has truly been one of the more interesting threads I have ever made my way through. I initially posted (in humor) that I thought it perhaps better if I didn't "weigh in" on this one; however, it has stayed in my mind all day...So I'm going to go out on a limb here, in the hopes that I don't appaul or alienate anyone:

I am hardly one who would advocate and/or condone people running wild in the streets, ravaging one another indiscriminately. As well, marital infidelity is a devastating thing leaving devastated individuals in it's wake. I hardly condone marital infidelity.

That being said, I can't help but wonder: A true capacity for real emotional intimacy is not a thing to take lightly. I wonder if it isn't, perhaps, something more along the lines of a tremendous gift, given the fact that as precious as it is, so many seem to have such difficulty with it. (Because mere physical sex is simple; genuine intimacy on the deepest level of one's being is not always as easy.) That being said, if two individuals love, and are mutually able to touch that depth within the other, to merge in a union with one another such that they have not experienced anything so symbiotically unifying since having been in the womb, and at the same time that they lose themselves in having touched the depth of the other's soul, thereby becoming the other, yet only to regain both their individual selves, and the other...

Would that experience somehow not be very close to actually being something..."sacred?"

--Just a thought. Just a question.

Because I guess I am having a difficult time in imagining that any god would shake his head at that.

June just wonders...

Take gentle care

Last edited by june 7th; 09-18-2007 at 08:33 PM..

Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 PM

258 posts, read 790,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grew-up-3rd-culture View Post
Yes. Should a Christian have sex out of wedlock? No. Your thoughts.
CAN they? Being sinners, yes, unfortunately.

SHOULD they? No.

Additionally, thinking that all one has to do to is ask for forgiveness if one does commit a sin (willfully) is wrong. We should not turn "the undeserved kindness of our God into an excuse for loose conduct." (Jude 4 / Heb 10:26-27)

Old 09-18-2007, 09:34 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Are you talking about adultery only? I can only say that for me personally, certified Bible thumper, fanatic extremist that I am , I interpret the Bible's use of the word "fornication" to mean sex outside of marriage, any time, any place, any age.
Amen! But u don't have to be an extremist to know according to GOD'S WORD u should not have sex outside of marriage. All u have to do is read...the Bible. This idea is not the invention of man or the church. It is original with GOD. Now it is up to the individual to yield to the authority of the of the WORD or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity