Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,328 times

Advertisements

I don't have a problem with the mustard seed story in the Bible. The Hebrew way of telling forth does not concentrate minutia but on meaning. Further, in Israel, certain mustards grow tall and broad enough to look like trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I've learned over the years that science like medicine is hardly an exact science. IT has made many mistakes in the past. It is subject to its own prejudices. Scientists will change their research to get funding for more biased research. After all, without money they'd have to get real jobs.
It's true that there are and have been lots of mistakes in science. Medicine is as much art as it science. Plus, individual scientists can certainly be biased by personal agendas.

For the purposes of this thread, however, I'm referring to science which has been known, verified and established for at least decades and the evidences for which have been strengthening over time.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
Mark 4:30–32Another parable He put forth to them, saying: The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field, which indeed is (1)the least of all the seeds; but when it is grown it is greater than the herbs and (2)becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and nest in its branches.”

Problems:

1. The mustard seed is hardly "the least of all seeds.."

2. The mustard plant is a bush never a tree. As such, it's branchs would support many if any birds with their nests.

(Mark (or Jesus) has to brush up on their botany!)
Or the person who made the translation!

Then again, Jesus was a carpenter, not a farmer, and maybe that's why.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm wondering whether, as a Christian, you have sensed an uneasiness between your faith in Christ, God or the Bible and what modern science has discovered. And if so, how did you reconcile this in your mind?

Feel free to discuss any specifics that you like.
Not at all. Science confirms there must have been a creator.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:07 AM

351 posts, read 355,144 times
Hi everyone. Science does not contradict the scriptures in anyway. If it seems so it is because we interpet the scripture wrong , or the science is wrong . God set up the Universe to run on His laws and it does.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Science cannot explain why many men live to be over 900 years in the OT. Is this a fact or myth?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
The distinctions that our culture's metaphors like to make to draw a line between tree/vine/bush or fruit/veggie/herb are not always supported by the plants themselves. Often the Hebrew metaphor is much more accurate.

As we humans try to re-fill this planet we have been put on, I think it is important to remember that today's definitions are not always any better then yesterdays.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Science cannot explain why many men live to be over 900 years in the OT. Is this a fact or myth?
Maybe one day science improves to a point where they can prove it. It is too bad they are not there yet.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
I don't have a problem with the mustard seed story in the Bible. The Hebrew way of telling forth does not concentrate minutia but on meaning. Further, in Israel, certain mustards grow tall and broad enough to look like trees.
RESPONSE:

I don't have a problem with the mustard seed story in the Bible either. But I realize that it is just a story. Like many others.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:32 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or the person who made the translation!

Then again, Jesus was a carpenter, not a farmer, and maybe that's why.
RESPONSE:

But I thought Jesus was supposed to have divine knowledge. Maybe not. That would explain many of his errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity