Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times

Advertisements

Question: How do you know that the Bible is the word of God?

Answer: God's Spirit has revealed it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,720,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

RESPONSE:

Actually, there are a number of Muslims who claim God revealed another book containing his word. In fact, you will find members of many belief systems who will make claims about their holy book similar to yours.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

How Jimmie ?.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowduck View Post
I'm a Christian so I'm always surprised when someone here on the internet says they believe in God, but don't regard the Bible as his word. This makes me wonder how they know about God. I have asked these people but have never gotten an answer. Their imaginations and theorys are as useful as a screen door on a submarine. It just seems to me they want it both ways. What do you think?
My father was a Christian, a pastor of a United Methodist Church with a doctorate in theology. He taught me that the Bible was the work of man inspired by the God but rather than being a historical and inerrant facts was a compilation of moral codes and philosophical guidance. He would have also noted that the Bible as it exist today is a thoroughly edited and redacted document based upon the political and theological needs of the day.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:10 PM

467 posts, read 467,224 times
IF people did use the Scriptures as Guide, then they would not reject what they don't care for, found in the same scriptures.
The person would accept all the scriptures!

Saying; "I don't need the scriptures to find God" is making yourself the "Judge" of what is right and what is wrong! It is taking God out of salvation! It is "Playing God"!

Many, many people do just this... "They accept the scriptures they understand and are willing to agree with and they reject, the scriptures they don't understand or are unwilling to accept".. But these same people, call themselves Christians!

CHRISTIANS: Believe all the scriptures!! It is just this simple!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:21 PM

697 posts, read 1,071,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Look I love the scriptures i am grounded in them, I read them on a daily basis, but the argument that God gave us a book when the scriptures tell us that He gave us His Son knocks the book theory out the park.
Yes, this.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 PM

697 posts, read 1,071,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
My father was a Christian, a pastor of a United Methodist Church with a doctorate in theology. He taught me that the Bible was the work of man inspired by the God but rather than being a [collection of?] historical and inerrant facts was a compilation of moral codes and philosophical guidance. He would have also noted that the Bible as it exist today is a thoroughly edited and redacted document based upon the political and theological needs of the day.
I agree with your father, mostly, except that I don't think the Bible is a compilation of "moral codes and philosophical guidance." It is a testament - something that serves as a proof, evidence, or witness of God. It doesn't have to be infallible or inerrant to be nonetheless a very powerful witness to the existence of God and His role in our lives.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowduck View Post
I'm a Christian so I'm always surprised when someone here on the internet says they believe in God, but don't regard the Bible as his word. This makes me wonder how they know about God. I have asked these people but have never gotten an answer. Their imaginations and theorys are as useful as a screen door on a submarine. It just seems to me they want it both ways. What do you think?
I don't want it both ways. All I know is that most literal Christians think that everything in the bible is good...and that all the characters are all to be admired. The old testament is in part a history of bad human conduct..not to be copied and justified behavior in present times...such as King David's indirect murder of Bathsheba's husband.

Some mindless Christians admire..King David and others-- when in fact they were bad guys..also it's about interpretation..I was taught as an orthodox Christian that Jesus had brothers and sisters...other deny this..suggesting his mother never went on to have a normal human life- which is absurd...also- why was the husband of Mary written out of the New T?

The words of Christ are the base of Christianity- not all the others..including his mother- Paul who never met the guy in the flesh. All I understand - is Christ..the rest don't count. He is enough.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
I read the bible and regard it as God's word, however I also understand the cultural and ancient significance of certain passages. I do not read it literally.

Also, I worship Jesus, I read the bible. There is a big difference.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
My father was a Christian, a pastor of a United Methodist Church with a doctorate in theology. He taught me that the Bible was the work of man inspired by the God but rather than being a historical and inerrant facts was a compilation of moral codes and philosophical guidance. He would have also noted that the Bible as it exist today is a thoroughly edited and redacted document based upon the political and theological needs of the day.
I'd also agree with THIS ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity