Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,365,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Actually, it was the Romans, not the Jews, who killed Jesus. And if you read Acts 5, You'll find that the Pharisees were quite tolerant of Christian opinions.

Acts 5 "But a Pharisee in the council named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law, respected by all the people, stood up and ordered the men to be put outside for a short time. 35Then he said to them, ‘Fellow-Israelites,* consider carefully what you propose to do to these men. ....38So in the present case, I tell you, keep away from these men and let them alone; because if this plan or this undertaking is of human origin, it will fail; 39but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them—in that case you may even be found fighting against God! ’They were convinced by him,
The Jews were the ones who handed Jesus over to the Romans, because they wanted Him dead. According to "their Law" (which they used to their advantage), they couldn't crucify Jesus. So they had the Romans do it.
"And from thenceforth Pilate sought to release him: but the Jews cried out, saying, If thou let this man go, thou art not Caesar's friend: whosoever maketh himself a king speaketh against Caesar. When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he brought Jesus forth, and sat down in the judgment seat in a place that is called the Pavement, but in the Hebrew, Gabbatha."

Very sly..
The Pharisees knew how to use political pressure to get Jesus killed.

Jesus' response to Pilate, who found no wrong in Him: "he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin." It was the religious Jews who wanted Him dead.

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:14 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Snowduck, which bible are you even referring to? The Jewish bible, written by G-d? The Chrstian bible written by men? The Koran? The LDS bible?
FYI... the LDS Bible would be the King James Version of the same scriptures used by many Protestant Churches.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
The truth of the matter is you can make the scripture say what you want it to say.

The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever.

This is what the Christian life is all about ^^^^^

Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 PM

467 posts, read 467,224 times
pcamps you said..
Quote:
The truth of the matter is you can make the scripture say what you want it to say.

The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever.

This is what the Christian life is all about ^^^^^
pcamps I reply: The truth of the matter is; IF people did use the Scriptures as their Guide, they would not reject what they don't care for; In the scriptures.
The person would accept all the scriptures! They would NOT change the scriptures making the scripture say what they want scriptures to say.

pcamps This is found in the scriptures; Righteousness comes from "DOING RIGHT!"
1 John 3:7
Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray The one who does what is right is righteous., just as he is righteous.

YES: The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever.

Saying; "I don't need the scriptures to find God" is making yourself the "Judge" of what is right and what is wrong! It is taking God out of the salvation of souls! It is "Playing God"!

Many, many people do just this... "They accept the scriptures they understand and are willing to agree with but they reject, the scriptures they don't understand or are unwilling to accept".. These same people, call themselves Christians!

The truth of the matter is; CHRISTIANS: Believe all the scriptures!! It is just this simple!

Christians believe in "DOING RIGHT" to be saved!
All "Righteous people go to heaven".. Just as Abraham and as the Sheep at the Judgement at the "End Times" are also Righteous!

Dogknox

Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogknox View Post
pcamps you said..
pcamps I reply: The truth of the matter is; IF people did use the Scriptures as their Guide, they would not reject what they don't care for; In the scriptures.
The person would accept all the scriptures! They would NOT change the scriptures making the scripture say what they want scriptures to say.

pcamps This is found in the scriptures; Righteousness comes from "DOING RIGHT!"
1 John 3:7
Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray The one who does what is right is righteous., just as he is righteous.

YES: The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever.

Saying; "I don't need the scriptures to find God" is making yourself the "Judge" of what is right and what is wrong! It is taking God out of the salvation of souls! It is "Playing God"!

Many, many people do just this... "They accept the scriptures they understand and are willing to agree with but they reject, the scriptures they don't understand or are unwilling to accept".. These same people, call themselves Christians!

The truth of the matter is; CHRISTIANS: Believe all the scriptures!! It is just this simple!

Christians believe in "DOING RIGHT" to be saved!
All "Righteous people go to heaven".. Just as Abraham and as the Sheep at the Judgement at the "End Times" are also Righteous!

Dogknox
Believing how you do, I would have you down as a goat. Not that your understanding of the sheep and goats lines up with the spirit of what Jesus is conveying.

When you say Christians, don't you mean those who agree with what you believe ?.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Believing how you do, I would have you down as a goat. Not that your understanding of the sheep and goats lines up with the spirit of what Jesus is conveying.

When you say Christians, don't you mean those who agree with what you believe ?.
Sheep are RIGHTEOUS because they DO RIGHT! Clearly from the scriptures: The Righteous Go to heaven!
pcamps I believe the scriptures, I reject the man made teaching of "All man needs is faith"! I believe in doing right.
The "Faith ALONE" Goats end up in the lake of fire!
I reject the teaching of the Goats, I am Christian! So you are wrong!
Quote:
When you say Christians, don't you mean those who agree with what you believe ?
No not in the least.. When I say CHRISTIAN, I mean those who accept the scriptures! Christians believe the scriptures! It is just this simple!

Think of the "Early Church Father'" surely you would not disagree with them!?
They believed the scriptures, I believe as they!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogknox View Post
Sheep are RIGHTEOUS because they DO RIGHT! Clearly from the scriptures: The Righteous Go to heaven!
pcamps I believe the scriptures, I reject the man made teaching of "All man needs is faith"! I believe in doing right.
The "Faith ALONE" Goats end up in the lake of fire!
I reject the teaching of the Goats, I am Christian! So you are wrong!

No not in the least.. When I say CHRISTIAN, I mean those who accept the scriptures! Christians believe the scriptures! It is just this simple!

Think of the "Early Church Father'" surely you would not disagree with them!?
They believed the scriptures, I believe as they!
You mean Accept the same belief of the bible as you ? .

Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You mean Accept the same belief of the bible as you ? .
pcamps Christians believe the scriptures.. ALL The scriptures!
I am Christian!!

EXAMPLE:
I believe "I can eat the flesh of Jesus in the form of bread!"
Martin Luther sixteen hundred years AFTER Jesus believed this!

Augustine believed the same..
Augustine is CHRISTIAN!
He said..
"I promised you [new Christians], who have now been baptized, a sermon in which I would explain the sacrament of the Lord’s Table. . . . That bread which you see on the altar, having been sanctified by the word of God, is the body of Christ. That chalice, or rather, what is in that chalice, having been sanctified by the word of God, is the blood of Christ" (Sermons 227 [A.D. 411]).

Origen tells you, he also believes the scriptures..
He said..
"Formerly there was baptism in an obscure way . . . now, however, in full view, there is regeneration in water and in the Holy Spirit. Formerly, in an obscure way, there was manna for food; now, however, in full view, there is the true food, the flesh of the Word of God, as he himself says: ‘My flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink’ [John 6:55]" (Homilies on Numbers 7:2 [A.D. 248]).

pcamps Jesus said in the scriptures.. "Unless you eat my flesh you have NO life in you!"
QUESTION: Do you believe the words of Jesus!

pcamps If you believe different then the "Early Church Father's" and they ARE CHRISTIAN then can you be!!?

Ignatius of Antioch said:
"I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the bread of God, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I desire his blood, which is love incorruptible" (Letter to the Romans 7:3 [A.D. 110]).

pcamps Soooo...
I must ask you..QUESTION: When you say Christians, don't you mean those who agree with what you believe ?.

CHRISTIANS: Believe the scriptures..Origen tells you, he believes the scriptures! Thus because he believes the scriptures.. Origen IS CHRISTIAN!

Dogknox

Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 PM

120 posts, read 119,233 times
in the same way it will confuse people that others can believe in a book that was written thousands of years ago that has so many people fighting over it.. wars are faught based on it.. lives are taken because of attachements to it..
these stories that have been fed to the world and programmed into us have become soo rooted within us , the mere thought of questioning it is feared and is considered madness.
we are soo conditioned by these stories, that are Simply just stories, used to spread a truth about life. but we have become soo consumed by the story itself , that we completley miss the message of life that it was used to share.. we instead fight over every single detail, every word, every character and battle over who is right and wrong..
the truth is that if we are confused in any way about life.. we have missed the point of the story that we call the bible or the gosepls or whatever we believe so strongly in

the truth that story of jesus teaches is life. and life is right here in the very moment.. no where else. its who we are , life takes care of itself ( aka-god takes care of us) god is a term to describe life and we are manifestations of life itself.. so life takes care of life.. and jesus knew the truth that eternal life was within him and that death couldnt reach to that eternal place, beyond form and title and label.. no hate or greeed or uglyness could even find this place of peace and joy and life that is in every breath of every living thing that exists.. The mind is the place where the evil exist, the ego and its conditioning is the only place where hatred and greed and jealousy and time and death are..
life is eternal and is now, and forever.. the ego/worldly self is afraid of death and is trapped by time

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,388,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Isn’t it both amazing and sad that so many people seem to see no contradiction or conjecture in their own reasoning about the 'truth' of the Bible ....while declaring the same Bible to be full of contradictions and errors(?!)

They extract information about God, Jesus Christ, heaven, salvation and a myriad of other things from the Bible … even devoting great effort to analyzing individual words in the 'original' Greek. But, then, they cut great swaths out of anything in the same Bible that contradicts their own personal theology --- relying on their personal ‘ability’ to ‘hear God’ and discern truth from error … (out of their own vain philosophy and deceit).

2 Tim 3:16-17 - All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work

2 Pet 1:19-21 - 19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

2 Tim 2:14-16 - 14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. 15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that need not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

There are a myriad of 'Bible proofs' that these detractors conveniently choose to ignore, in favor of declaring the Bible to be full of ancient myths and fables. (eg; historical accuracy, literary proof, prophetic fulfillment, life-changing power, etc.). Of course, all who disagree are automatically branded ‘Bibleans, fundamentalists/fundies, Bible thumpers, literalists or unenlightened.’

God’s inspired Word of truth does a much better job than we can in revealing the truth about all their ‘sophisticated', scripture-rejecting, imagined wisdom’:

1 Cor. 3:18-20 18 Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. 19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”; 20 and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.”]

Great post, jghorton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity