Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,726,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
I regularly deny myself the Eucharist because I am concious of my mortal sin. I don't see what the problem is. Since, MysticPhD, you don't have much respect for the Eucharist anyways and don't believe it to be the body and blood of Christ, then I don't understand your objection even more. Can't one commune with Christ in other ways? And if the Eucharist is not His body and blood, then taking it is not communing with Him anyways, right? So what's the big deal?
You are unnecessarily making things tougher on yourself and denying yourself aid and comfort in moving forward in your spiritual life by such denial. He wanted us to remember Him by it and doing so facilitates communing with His Holy Spirit within. Everything that we do in so-called worship is not FOR God. It is to help US achieve the proper state of mind to commune with Him. Deep meditation is one such state of mind and I eventually achieved it to my complete surprise. My life has not been the same since. There are many other ways to achieve similar experiences . . . sincere and devout prayer being another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:50 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,549,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are unnecessarily making things tougher on yourself and denying yourself aid and comfort in moving forward in your spiritual life by such denial. He wanted us to remember Him by it and doing so facilitates communing with His Holy Spirit within. Everything that we do in so-called worship is not FOR God. It is to help US achieve the proper state of mind to commune with Him. Deep meditation is one such state of mind and I eventually achieved it to my complete surprise. My life has not been the same since. There are many other ways to achieve similar experiences . . . sincere and devout prayer being another one.
I attend Mass regularly so I am not "denying myself aid and comfort in moving forward in my spiritual life." I have, though, been neglecting to pray regularly outside of Mass, and that, more than anything, is hurting my spiritual life. You need to take a second look at Scripture (but then again you don't believe in any of this anymore anyways, so I guess you really don't need to bother) (from 1 Corinthians 11:27-30 NASB - Therefore whoever eats the bread or - Bible Gateway):

Quote:
1 Corinthians 11:27-30

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

27 Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. 28 But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly. 30 For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number [a] sleep.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 PM

And just look at how "intolerant," "legalistic," and "judgemental" St. Peter was!!:

Quote:
Acts 5:1-11

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Fate of Ananias and Sapphira

5 But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, 2 and kept back some of the price for himself, with his wife’s [a]full knowledge, and bringing a portion of it, he laid it at the apostles’ feet. 3 But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land? 4 While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not [b]under your control? Why is it that you have [c]conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.” 5And as he heard these words, Ananias fell down and breathed his last; and great fear came over all who heard of it. 6 The young men got up and covered him up, and after carrying him out, they buried him.

7 Now there elapsed an interval of about three hours, and his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 And Peter responded to her, “Tell me whether you sold the land [d] for such and such a price?” And she said, “Yes, [e]that was the price.” 9Then Peter said to her, “Why is it that you have agreed together to put the Spirit of the Lord to the test? Behold, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out as well.”10 And immediately she fell at his feet and breathed her last, and the young men came in and found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her beside her husband. 11And great fear came over the whole church, and over all who heard of these things.
History certainly does repeat itself!!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
I attend Mass regularly so I am not "denying myself aid and comfort in moving forward in my spiritual life." I have, though, been neglecting to pray regularly outside of Mass, and that, more than anything, is hurting my spiritual life. You need to take a second look at Scripture (but then again you don't believe in any of this anymore anyways, so I guess you really don't need to bother) (from 1 Corinthians 11:27-30 NASB - Therefore whoever eats the bread or - Bible Gateway):
Communion is only to remember Him . . . and the "unworthily" simply means insincerely. It is always our state of mind and our spiritual development and maturity that is of concern to God . . . nothing else. If we are sincere in our desire to commune with Him . . . we are worthily seeking to remember Him. Why do you think God would care about any of the trivialities instituted by undeniably (for millennia) corrupt men? Your sincere state of mind toward God is the only critical variable . . . and God knows what that IS without any rigamarole or intervention by men.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Communion is only to remember Him . . . and the "unworthily" simply means insincerely. It is always our state of mind and our spiritual development and maturity that is of concern to God . . . nothing else. If we are sincere in our desire to commune with Him . . . we are worthily seeking to remember Him. Why do you think God would care about any of the trivialities instituted by undeniably (for millennia) corrupt men? Your sincere state of mind toward God is the only critical variable . . . and God knows what that IS without any rigamarole or intervention by men.
That is not Catholic teaching. Since you are no longer Catholic, respectfully speaking, this has nothing to do with you so our discussion is over. To be a Catholic, one must accept all the teachings of the Catholic Church, especially the very basic ones like the Trinity and the sacraments. If you don't, then why be Catholic? That would be illogical.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
That is not Catholic teaching. Since you are no longer Catholic, respectfully speaking, this has nothing to do with you so our discussion is over. To be a Catholic, one must accept all the teachings of the Catholic Church, especially the very basic ones like the Trinity and the sacraments. If you don't, then why be Catholic? That would be illogical.
I agree with you, cmforte . . . if being Catholic is what your spiritual goal is . . . you are on track. But if knowing God and following Him is the goal . . . then all the "fixin's" created by the Catholic Church have no useful role. Following Christ's commands to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't is the path to follow Christ.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I agree with you, cmforte . . . if being Catholic is what your spiritual goal is . . . you are on track. But if knowing God and following Him is the goal . . . then all the "fixin's" created by the Catholic Church have no useful role. Following Christ's commands to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't is the path to follow Christ.
Knowing God and following Him is the same goal as being Catholic.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:55 AM

737 posts, read 1,144,228 times
Good for the priest. It's amazing how many "Catholics" know nothing about church teaching.

I get a kick out of people that think there is a "spirit" of Vatican 2. Nope, just documents that did not change much of anything with Catholic teaching. They explained things that so many sisters taught wrong and that some people misunderstood.( and no, women having their head covered was not a topic at V2).

Next we can move on ecumenism. Except for combined charitable efforts it's purpose is to bring people back to the one true church. One pope, one church, and one eucharist. It was never meant to say we disagree but see how nice we get along.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Knowing God and following Him is the same goal as being Catholic.
No it is not. There is no magic or superstition about Christ. He is real and abides with us. His holy Spirit is accessible to us all within our consciousness. We need no man to teach us (or to confess to) or to intervene for us. We already have Christ the LIVING Word of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Good for the priest. It's amazing how many "Catholics" know nothing about church teaching.

I get a kick out of people that think there is a "spirit" of Vatican 2. Nope, just documents that did not change much of anything with Catholic teaching. They explained things that so many sisters taught wrong and that some people misunderstood.( and no, women having their head covered was not a topic at V2).
Next we can move on ecumenism. Except for combined charitable efforts it's purpose is to bring people back to the one true church. One pope, one church, and one eucharist. It was never meant to say we disagree but see how nice we get along.
I do not get a kick out of fundies who live in an autocratic past built on ancient ignorance and superstition that harkens back to the mentality that produced the Inquisition and Witch burnings.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 AM

Funny thing is the Catholic Church is not the only one that practices closed communion. But why talk about anyone else, right? Lets only focus on the RCC!! I wonder why that is?

Last edited by cmforte; 05-07-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity