Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Where in the world (or elsewhere) do you keep getting this type of bizzare 'information'?? --- Clearly not the Bible or God's Holy Spirit ... since neither, like God, are the author of confusion. You must have some private, 'Mystic-al' channel --
It's written in his heart......

Old 05-07-2012, 01:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
General question: does CONSTANTLY talking about and CONSTANTLY quoting Scripture, typical of many "born agains," seriously make them think that it bolsters their chances for salvation?

It seems that way. It gets tiring. There are other things people are supposed to be doing during the day, too. I guess they've never heard of the concept of "diminishing returns."

Old 05-07-2012, 01:47 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That's easy. Any Christian who has not yet died. The ONLY way to be born again is to be dead and reborn as Spirit. Everyone who is born as Spirit is Spirit and can flit around like the wind. No one alive today can do that. What they are referring to is being "conceived or begotten"(gennao) of God (eg. Born of God) . . . which is our current embryo Spirit state. We have to complete our spiritual development here before we physically die and are born again as Spirit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Where in the world (or elsewhere) do you keep getting this type of bizzare 'information'?? --- Clearly not the Bible or God's Holy Spirit ... since neither, like God, are the author of confusion. You must have some private, 'Mystic-al' channel --
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's written in his heart......
Where did he get that? From Jesus' own words. If you actually listen to what Jesus said and not what a preacher or theologian told you, you'll see that Jesus never said anything about our ability to "make a decision" to be born again. In fact, He said "do not marvel," which means "don't wonder about it," or in our modern language "don't worry about it." If it's a decision we must make to help save ourselves, He would not have told us not to worry about it! He said that because it's in God's hands. He caused us to be born and He will cause us to be born again.

John 3:
4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
Where did he get that? From Jesus' own words. If you actually listen to what Jesus said and not what a preacher or theologian told you, you'll see that Jesus never said anything about our ability to "make a decision" to be born again. In fact, He said "do not marvel," which means "don't wonder about it," or in our modern language "don't worry about it." If it's a decision we must make to help save ourselves, He would not have told us not to worry about it! He said that because it's in God's hands. He caused us to be born and He will cause us to be born again.

John 3:
4 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?”
5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
Excellent point Bright Hope.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

John 3:
You are a bright and shining light upon the hill, BHFT!. Still can't rep you . . . but I adore your posts.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:02 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
General question: does CONSTANTLY talking about and CONSTANTLY quoting Scripture, typical of many "born agains," seriously make them think that it bolsters their chances for salvation?

It seems that way. It gets tiring. There are other things people are supposed to be doing during the day, too. I guess they've never heard of the concept of "diminishing returns."
I have been criticized for just generally quoting Scripture instead of looking it up, quoting it word-for-word, and giving the reference. And some have criticized me for not using the KJV while others have criticized me for using it!

One just never knows!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
I have been criticized for just generally quoting Scripture instead of looking it up, quoting it word-for-word, and giving the reference. And some have criticized me for not using the KJV while others have criticized me for using it!

One just never knows!
...I know ! right ?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:

John 3:
No he did not get it from Jesus' own words. And 'do not marvel' does not mean do not worry. It means 'don't be amazed', 'don't be astonished', 'don't be surprised.' Jesus told Nicodemus not to be astonished at being told that he must be born again. John 3:15-16 which is part of the very same passage then gives the means by which one is born again. By believing in Jesus Christ for eternal life.

Jesus did indeed teach that one must make a choice to come to Him for salvation. The free gift of salvation is an offer. Jesus extended the invitation to come to Him.

Matthew 11:28 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.''

John 6:37 'Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink.

Those are invitations given by Jesus to come to Him in response to the gospel by which means God enables those who hear the gospel message to understand and respond. And many have accepted the invitation and have come to Christ for eternal life.

But here is an example of some who made the choice to not come to Jesus.

John 5:39 You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40] and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

The choice is to come to Christ through a positive faith response to the gospel or to resist the Holy Spirit's convicting ministry at gospel hearing (John 16:8-11).

Acts 7:51 "You men who are stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears are always resisting the Holy Spirit; you are doing just as your fathers did.

That an invitation is given by Christ to come to Him means that one can come to Him. That one can choose not to come to Him but rather resist the Holy Spirit at the point of gospel hearing means CHOICE.

In Revelation 22:17 the invitation is given by the Holy Spirit and by the bride (the church) to come for eternal life.

Rev 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

An invitation means choice.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:13 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No he did not get it from Jesus' own words. And 'do not marvel' does not mean do not worry. It means 'don't be amazed', 'don't be astonished', 'don't be surprised.' Jesus told Nicodemus not to be astonished at being told that he must be born again. John 3:15-16 which is part of the very same passage then gives the means by which one is born again. By believing in Jesus Christ for eternal life.

Jesus did indeed teach that one must make a choice to come to Him for salvation. The free gift of salvation is an offer. Jesus extended the invitation to come to Him.

Matthew 11:28 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.''

John 6:37 'Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink.

Those are invitations given by Jesus to come to Him in response to the gospel by which means God enables those who hear the gospel message to understand and respond. And many have accepted the invitation and have come to Christ for eternal life.

But here is an example of some who made the choice to not come to Jesus.

John 5:39 You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, 40] and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

The choice is to come to Christ through a positive faith response to the gospel or to resist the Holy Spirit's convicting ministry at gospel hearing (John 16:8-11).

Acts 7:51 "You men who are stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears are always resisting the Holy Spirit; you are doing just as your fathers did.

That an invitation is given by Christ to come to Him means that one can come to Him. That one can choose not to come to Him but rather resist the Holy Spirit at the point of gospel hearing means CHOICE.

In Revelation 22:17 the invitation is given by the Holy Spirit and by the bride (the church) to come for eternal life.

Rev 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

An invitation means choice.
A big amen!

Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Jesus NEVER said believe IN me. He said come to me and follow me and follow my commands to "love God and each other."As Jerwade said, "The Way is a walk." Christ did NOT say "Come believe in me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity