Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 04:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has told me "I've been born-again and have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior." Seriously, (1) this is the verbatim delivery, and (2) it always comes from someone who belongs to a fundamentalist, non-denominational or Baptist Church. Is this something that one just hears and then spouts? I don't know any people who belong to Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, Episcopal, Catholic or Orthodox churches who have this line down to a science.

For most of us, it's all about trying to live as best we can in accordance with the New Testament. If we do this, what happens afterward is based on faith that we will be judged correctly and compassionately by the Lord.

So then, I guess I'm a Christian but will not label myself as born-again. I don't use trite phrases like the above. Hopefully, I'll be seeing you in line at the pearly gates.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:43 PM

238 posts, read 270,545 times

You have it all wrong ...
Who here IS a born-again Christian? ... will produce a very manageable list of names.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:01 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has told me "I've been born-again and have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior." Seriously, (1) this is the verbatim delivery, and (2) it always comes from someone who belongs to a fundamentalist, non-denominational or Baptist Church. Is this something that one just hears and then spouts? I don't know any people who belong to Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, Episcopal, Catholic or Orthodox churches who have this line down to a science.

For most of us, it's all about trying to live as best we can in accordance with the New Testament. If we do this, what happens afterward is based on faith that we will be judged correctly and compassionately by the Lord.

So then, I guess I'm a Christian but will not label myself as born-again. I don't use trite phrases like the above. Hopefully, I'll be seeing you in line at the pearly gates.
Being born again is not a "trite" phrase. Jesus said, "Unless you are born again, you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven." The important thing is that you are born again, not that you claim you are.

I do get what you are saying. I don't think there is a single example in the NT of a person running around saying, "I am a born again christian."

It's easy for people to say, " I've accepted Jesus as my savior or I've been born again," yet they are as far from being a christian as you can get. Maybe it gives some a sense of security?

I'm not too sure about those pearly gates, but I pray your name is written in the book of life right beside mine.

Katie

Katie

Old 05-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
i find that when people say they are born again, its to prove that they are that special snowflake of christianity and everyone else are fake christians and going to hell.Only they, the special christians are doing it "right" and every one else is eternally wrong.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:09 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

It"s a catchphrase, to say you believe in Jesus.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:11 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default Who here is NOT Born-Again but Still a Christian?

That's easy. Any Christian who has not yet died. The ONLY way to be born again is to be dead and reborn as Spirit. Everyone who is born as Spirit is Spirit and can flit around like the wind. No one alive today can do that. What they are referring to is being "conceived or begotten"(gennao) of God (eg. Born of God) . . . which is our current embryo Spirit state. We have to complete our spiritual development here before we physically die and are born again as Spirit.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:22 PM

461 posts, read 480,760 times
"No one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born from above. No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and spirit.Flesh makes flesh, spirit makes spirit. The words I spoke to you are spirit and life.JN 6:63

The righteous will go off to eternal life, the wicked to eternal damnation.

The upright will abide in the land the blameless shall remain there.

The words of the Lord are upright and all His works are truthful, He loves justice and right.

Once you have the light keep faith in the light and you will become a child of light.

What I have told you in the dark proclaim in the light.

God is spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth."

Last edited by Princely; 05-05-2012 at 05:33 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 05:28 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
That's easy. Any Christian who has not yet died. The ONLY way to be born again is to be dead and reborn as Spirit. Everyone who is born as Spirit is Spirit and can flit around like the wind. No one alive today can do that. What they are referring to is being "conceived or begotten"(gennao) of God (eg. Born of God) . . . which is our current embryo Spirit state. We have to complete our spiritual development here before we physically die and are born again as Spirit.
Mystic,

Are we not God's offspring, born of His Spirit? If not, how then can we hear his voice? I don't use the term "born again" much because it is abused by religious zealots, but I do believe that when the light of Christ shines into a person's heart and sets him free from the bondage of fear, it is then that he/she is begotten of God or is born of God. It is only by God's sovereign will that this happens to anyone - it's not something people can bring about by their will-power. I, you, everyone WILL BELIEVE when God decides to grant it to us. That's the way I see it.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:29 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Default It is a process to become "born-again"...first you must be saved...

...then you go through fiery trials and tests from God to refine you...THEN ! when God sees you are worthy to be born-again and filled with the indwelling Spirit of Christ (NO MORE WILLFULL SIN IS COMMITTED BY YOU), you will repent of your sins and will then, therefore, in fact ! be a born-again child of the Living God in Christ Jesus !...CHANGED !...CHRISTLIKE ! \o/

Many professing Christians have been persuaded to believe they have received eternal life despite their ongoing bondage to sin. They are told they are born again children of God and saved forever the moment they say: "I believe in Jesus and receive Him as my Savior." Their teachers offer this verse as proof of the sinner's instant salvation:

"He who believes in the Son has eternal life;"

However, the rest of that verse is seldom quoted:

"…but he who does not OBEY the Son shall not see life, but the WRATH OF GOD abides on him." John 3:36 NAS

They are being told that they do not have to obey, the only requirement is that they "believe." Yet the apostle Paul said that the mind that will not subject itself to the law of God is a carnal (sinful) mind and hostile toward God. He wrote:

"...the CARNAL MIND is enmity [hostile] against God: for it IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE LAW OF GOD," Romans 8:7 KJV

Is it possible that a person will inherit eternal life even if that person is hostile toward God and will not obey His law? All major denominations now say: "YES!", the carnal person will still be saved if he "believes." The apostle Paul says "NO!":

"For to be carnally minded is death;" Romans 8:6 KJV

This devastating doctrine of "The saved (but still carnal) Christian" has been firmly established in our churches because the meaning of the word believe is not always clear. The only true definition of what it means to "believe" is the scriptural one found in John 3:36 (see above).

Examine it carefully and you will see that ONLY THOSE WHO OBEY TRULY BELIEVE.

THE PROOF! (John 3:36)

IF: One who believes in the Son has eternal life,

AND: One who does not obey shall not see life,

THEN: The one who does not obey, does not believe.

For it is clear that the one who shall not see life, could not possibly have eternal life. Scripture does not allow anyone who will not obey to be counted a "believer." Thus any church that considers a willfully disobedient person to have eternal life is teaching a fatal error. One may be willfully disobedient or a believer, but not both.

THE CARNAL CHRISTIAN IS SATAN'S LIE ! ...YOU CAN BET YOUR LIFE ON THAT !

Amen.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
i find that when people say they are born again, its to prove that they are that special snowflake of christianity and everyone else are fake christians and going to hell.
This is a keeper...that "special snowflake of Christianity."

Yes, the Catholics and others have the exact same words about being born from water and spirit. We just don't recite it to people. It's a little preachy. We (those that DON'T say this) just expect people to be good Christians. Actions speak louder than words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity