U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 AM

25,085 posts, read 8,901,888 times

Advertisements

I am just thinking out loud here. I have been attending a rather large non-denominational church. I have not joined, but attend regurlarly. There are somethings that concern me. For instance, there is a singles group and they have several fuctions including dances. Now I don't party in the world-at the club why would I want to party at church? I think this type of activity reminds me too much of the night club scene. Sure no one is smoking or drinking, but many are still hoping to get lucky. Is this becoming to holiness. I am not saying this is a sin, but it sure does not seem like it is expedient. The reason I attend this church is because they get a lot of good speakers in. Recently, I recieved a flyer in the mail inviting me to come and hear one of my favorite speakers. The Flyer said I could pay $15.00 to participate in a breakfast meeting and/or I could attend the "after party" following the evening service for $5.00. Now "after party" seems very secular. I mean the WORD of GOD teaches that Christians are to come out from the world and be seperated. I can see paying extra money for the breakfast meeting- there is an extra expense for the food, but five bucks to mingle after church? In my opinion this is a bit much. I mean people usually do that for free. I am a little disappointed...I believe the pastors are men and women of GOD, but I am rethinking my association. I am concerned about all these "good things" the church does. Are these things right in the EYE'S of GOD? Then on the other hand the church is a success so who am I to question if the church is in the will of GOD or not? Christians: what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 12:28 AM

7,768 posts, read 9,745,498 times
Another good post from you, sun queen.

I think this is something each of us has to decide on our own terms.

I used to struggle with these things A LOT.

Here's how I worked through, or I should say, here's how I am trying to work through it.

First, the responsibility of the 'spirit' of these things ultimately lies with the leadership, although the body does support these functions by tithes etc.

Second, if just ONE soul is saved, how do we assess the event?

Third, (and this leans in the other direction) success isn't measured in numbers. So are those young people (singles) living for God and impacting the world? I've heard people say "If you want to meet a nice girl/guy, start going to church." That bothers me too. Like you I wonder if we're just a nightclub with a cross on top.

I'm like you, some of these things in large churches get me scratching my head and wondering about them too. I'd just seek discernment on the situation and something I'm learning this week is to realize when "I don't have a dog in that fight."

Don't know if that makes sense, I'm up later than usual tonight.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:32 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,105,726 times
Sun, the activities you describe going on at your church dom't sound much like they are following the example of the early church..IMO, church should not be a social club...A big mega church with many pastors, social activities and other prepaid events just wouldn't appeal to me..

Old 09-19-2007, 06:43 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,868,004 times
Default What to look for in a Church?

We do not all wear the same size clothes. Nor... do we wear the same types of fashions. It is no different with a place of worship. Not every place will "fit" or seem "right" when we put it on. Nothing wrong with that... in fact that's a good thing. However we should not "judge" what does not fit, just keep looking.

So what is necessary for a church to be a good church? and let me add, there are NO perfect churches... none! A few basic theological roots need to be in place... poor roots produce poor fruits. Here's a short list

1) Spiritual feeding
2) Bible believing, Bible teaching
3) Outwardly focused
4) Inwardly accountable
5) Small groups that produce> front door> living room>kitchen environments
6) Strong leadership
7) Strategically focused (long reaching)
8) Relevant (is not the same as popular)
9) Seats that are full of sinners (as a hospital treats the sick, a church treats the sin)
10) Glorifying God

There's a lot more A LOT more... so do not see this as "the" list. Let me add that some people need a close personal relationship with the pastor... and for those, a smaller church would be in order. However we should be looking for a close personal relationship with Jesus, and opportunities to serve, not to be served.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:18 AM

6,985 posts, read 16,703,309 times
If the singles were prevented from dancing and meeting at the church, where would you suggest that they go? Some people like to dance just as much as some people like to sing. Should they give it up, come to the church and just sit around? If it brings the singles in, you can rest assured that some good will come of it.

Now, about paying. If the church wants to sponsor this sort of gathering on a regular basis, I think they should first decide if they can afford to do it out of regular offerings. If they want to have a basket where people put in a free-will offering, I think that would work.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:28 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,829,453 times
Default My .02--don't have a problem with it...

I personally don't have a problem with social events going on at (the church, a church, my church, any church!) I think fellowship with other believers is important to the Christian life. And let's face it -- a lot of single people do want to meet someone and get married. I have no problem with that as long as none of the activities are anything that would not glorify God.

I don't think that obviously someone should go to church with just the intent of meeting someone, but people start attending church for many assorted reasons...some reasons less spiritual and noble than others. If, however, it results in their salvation by going and hearing the gospel and responding...well, I can't argue with that. I think we all come to Christ with all our baggage and go from there. Hope I'm making sense.

Uh, oh...maybe I'm getting too liberal in my old age!! LOL!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:56 AM

5,569 posts, read 9,655,075 times
For a lot of people like myself who are single, we are looking for a godly woman or man. The church social scene is the only way most of us can find that. My church hasn't had a "singles" social function yet.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:40 AM

7,768 posts, read 9,745,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
For a lot of people like myself who are single, we are looking for a godly woman or man. The church social scene is the only way most of us can find that. My church hasn't had a "singles" social function yet.
Right, but my point is that shouldn't be the reason you go to church, but it's Ok if it's a reason you go to church.

That was all I was saying.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,644,303 times
I have to say I am okay with it. I choose to go to a smaller Church but that is what works for my family. I agree different things appeal to different people and if it gets people to hear the Word of God then I am okay with it.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:49 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,868,004 times
Default Me too.....

Quote:
little_thirsty said: I have to say I am okay with it. I choose to go to a smaller Church but that is what works for my family. I agree different things appeal to different people and if it gets people to hear the Word of God then I am okay with it.
Me too. I'd like to add... that Jesus did not preach to the masses the same way, and his appeal was broad based. Only those who's beliefs were founded in rules and the law took issue with Him. He also used food... loaves and fish, and then he delivered the "real" bread of life. Christ was the ultimate stategic thinker... because His work is timeless, unchanging, true, and gives life.

Now the cautionary note or the asterick... it is so easy to disguise the work of satan unless you have a Bible believing, Bible based, Bible taught body of believers. Reproof...... cool word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity