U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2007, 01:53 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,288,655 times
Red face Forgiveness...Has it truly happened???

Let me preface this by apologizing for the length.

Ok...I had a situation with someone a few years ago when my husband and I were helpers with our youth group. One of the parents (a father) got angry at me for something his daughter did. For some reason, he placed the blame on me instead of her. He called and left a message on my answering machine, swearing and saying "How could I call myself a youth leader? He thought we were supposed to be teaching his children to be Christ-like." The message went on and on. Anyways, I struggled with seeing him at church for awhile after that because the whole situation offended me.

Fast forward to last year...he had quit coming to my church, so I wasn't seeing him on a regular basis. I had put the entire situation out of my mind. Then we had a night of worship one Saturday, and there he was in the front row. I had the worst time trying to focus (I am in the choir) on worshipping. I knew that it was time (past time ) to forgive him and move on. I made a decision and prayed over it, for him, and also for God to forgive me for withholding my forgiveness.

I had not seen him again until today. I was driving and saw him pulling out of a parking lot. Immediately, those old feelings of anger stirred. I reminded myself that I had forgiven him, but it bothers me that my initial reaction was one of bitterness, not forgiveness. Is this normal, or is this something I need to work more on?

Please give me your thoughts!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,207,503 times
Well, ideally, maybe it shouldn't be this way, but if it is a really deep wound, I often have to "work through" forgiveness a number of times. Sometimes if I start relating the story again (which is why you shouldn't!) to someone, I can get lathered up all over again about the situation.

I think the first step in forgiveness is usually an act of the will. Hopefully, our emotions will fall in line after that. It's easier, of course, if that person has apologized and asked for forgiveness, but so often that doesn't happen. It helps me personally if I try to think about what could have possibly caused the person to act in the way that hurt me. Sometimes that gives a little emotional release. But, again, I really think it starts with a decision...and sometimes I have to remind myself that I made that decision.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,326,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Let me preface this by apologizing for the length.

Ok...I had a situation with someone a few years ago when my husband and I were helpers with our youth group. One of the parents (a father) got angry at me for something his daughter did. For some reason, he placed the blame on me instead of her. He called and left a message on my answering machine, swearing and saying "How could I call myself a youth leader? He thought we were supposed to be teaching his children to be Christ-like." The message went on and on. Anyways, I struggled with seeing him at church for awhile after that because the whole situation offended me.

Fast forward to last year...he had quit coming to my church, so I wasn't seeing him on a regular basis. I had put the entire situation out of my mind. Then we had a night of worship one Saturday, and there he was in the front row. I had the worst time trying to focus (I am in the choir) on worshipping. I knew that it was time (past time ) to forgive him and move on. I made a decision and prayed over it, for him, and also for God to forgive me for withholding my forgiveness.

I had not seen him again until today. I was driving and saw him pulling out of a parking lot. Immediately, those old feelings of anger stirred. I reminded myself that I had forgiven him, but it bothers me that my initial reaction was one of bitterness, not forgiveness. Is this normal, or is this something I need to work more on?

It's normal dojilynn,

Old 09-19-2007, 02:08 PM

6,944 posts, read 15,828,165 times
You have forgiven, but forgetting is often harder to do. We remember feelings far too long. There is something that is deep within us that would like to see the other person recognize what we think is the error. It's never going to happen.

So, the next time you see him, shrug your shoulders, and remember that even though you still remember what happened, you aren't going to let it affect your life.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 PM

3,086 posts, read 3,909,747 times
Quote:
it bothers me that my initial reaction was one of bitterness, not forgiveness. Is this normal, or is this something I need to work more on?

Dojilynn, the fact that it bothers you that you don't have pleasant thots toward him IMO shows me that you are on the right track and trying your best, which is all we can do! Forgiveness may not always be about feelings... and it may sometimes be a path, and not just a one-time thing, if you know what I mean.. Even if we have forgiven someone, if we see them and old feelings flare up, look at that as a "new attack" by the father of lies, and not a result of former unforgiveness.. Just my opinions, would like to hear more!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:12 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,719,958 times
Normal with a capital "N"!

The flesh reminds us of our continual failings... and our need for God.

Thanks for sharing........

Old 09-19-2007, 02:19 PM

Thank you all for your help!

I did remind myself of my decision to forgive, and didn't sit and stew on the original offense. What I stewed on was my reaction to seeing him. I guess that's what you meant, cg81, when you said that it was an attack by the Father of Lies.

Once again, thanks! You guys are great!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:23 PM

8,640 posts, read 14,207,503 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your help!

I did remind myself of my decision to forgive, and didn't sit and stew on the original offense. What I stewed on was my reaction to seeing him. I guess that's what you meant, cg81, when you said that it was an attack by the Father of Lies.

Once again, thanks! You guys are great!
Our bill will be in the mail.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Our bill will be in the mail.
LOL!! I hope you take Discover!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 PM

19,995 posts, read 20,183,946 times
It's very normal, because we can't forget like God does, now you need to forgive yourself and let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity