Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 03:26 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
First of all I never said it was just a good book. Because Jesus Christ is the reality of Truth, and He is the Truth that when we meditate upon Him day and night, we a tree, Planted by streams of water, That gives its fruit in its season, And its leaf does not wither, And all that he does he causes to prosper.
Another poster did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 03:28 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I am seeing a lot about Reading and the Written Word.

Is anyone going to mention the importance of Prayer with an open mind and heart?

Can God guide and lead with prayer just as well as some think he does through the written word?

If all we need is the bible, that is, The Written Word, there isn't any need for prayer, is there?

If we try to restrict God to just what is in our present day english bible, we are also trying to restrict what He can, or will do. And since a lot of our daily things and temptations did not exist in the time of the writing of our present bible, is it possible that God may look upon certain things differently?

We could argue that murder is murder, but is allowing someone to just die, instead of preserving life as long as possible with respirators, etc. murder? Things have changed. The Word of God as we have it today may have been changed too.
The written word is only one way to obtain wisdom and that with prayer. Prayer is the key to understanding not just what is written but wisdom for daily living. Without prayer there is no water to refresh the soul.

The Bible does not say that to refuse respirators or other other measures is murder. My grandmother was a great saint but when it came near the end and she wanted to hasten the inevitable so she refused to eat and went to be with the Lord peacefully having talked to an Angel shortly before that and was able to testify to that before she died. She loved children and she told of one night that some children came and played together on the floor near her hospital bed. A great comfort to her. Angels perhaps?

Later my mother was dieing also and she was hooked up with inserts to her arm so as to receive morphine so she would not feel the affects of downing in her own fluids of the lungs. Her Kidneys had also stopped working and she was on her way to dieing and the doctors wanted to do some exploratory surgery. The night before that, I lay my hand on her head and prayed for her comfort. The next morning she told the doctors to leave her alone and to take the needles from her arm. Very soon she recovered and the doctors were baffled. They sent her home to be with us. Who can figure it? God does what He wants.

When at much later time she did die, I asked the Lord, "Where is my mother?" Immediately, the Glory of Heaven shown all around me and I knew then without a shadow of a doubt she was in Heaven!

Old 05-13-2012, 03:36 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Another poster did.
I don't think so jimmiej . I have never said anything remotely close to that.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:36 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Why is it when a believer quotes the bible he is accused of worshipping the Bible?
Because the Bible is God's Word ... it doesn't contain it ... it does resemble it. And this is what God's word does:
Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active ..... it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

and they don't like that.
In the the Bible God reveals his wrath about sin and those who reject him, and it reveals the only way in which we must be saved.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:16 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Come on, where is that errant New Testament verse?
I hear crickets. All I see is people trying to evade questions by asking questions of their own.

I also have a question of my own to those who promote the "messages written in their hearts, - not in ther Bible" argument. Here is the question: Can you tell me some of those things you have written in your hearts that are useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, but are NOT mentioned in the Bible?

Thank you in advance for answering both of these questions.

2 Tim 2:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-13-2012 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-13-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I hear crickets.

I also have a question of my own to those who promote the "messages written in their hearts, - not in ther Bible" argument. Here is the question: Can you tell me some of those things you have written in your hearts that are useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, but are NOT mentioned in the Bible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Can you give me a verse that proves beyond a shadow of doubt that that the Spirit of God put the NT bible together ?.
The silence is killing me.

I would love Finn Jarber to answer this .

Old 05-13-2012, 05:04 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
Quote:
I hear crickets. All I see is people

2 Tim 2:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
I understand where people are coming from with this idea, but it won't hold water when judging right and wrong. Still, I will mention a couple ideas along this line.

My father, an alcoholic-turned-believer-then-pastor/preacher, would not eat celery. It was a religious precedent. He did not tell others not to eat celery, and he knew that would be ridiculous. Why did he do it? Because the smell reminded him of the ale to which he was addicted. This idea was "written on his heart"; it was not something that applied to anyone else whom we knew. Was he wrong? No!

For myself, I will not wear skirts and dresses. Why? Because they feel immodest to me. Should I tell others that they should not wear skirts and dresses because they are immodest? That would be ridiculous. "Written on my heart," yes. By G-d? No. By experience.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because your typical Conservative views the English Bible as the inerrant, infallible, "Word of God", which is the Title given to Jesus Christ.

Therefore, they equate it with God himself. And seeing as they hold such legalistic and literal views regarding what's in it, they have turned a book of paper and ink into their Golden Calf.

I see it every day on my boards. It's so common, the term Bibliolatry was created to refer to that form of idolatry.
I agree when Moses went up the mountain, they created a golden calf , and when Christ Ascended and had gone far to long for there liking they(Rome)created a golden calf the bible and called it God.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:27 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
I understand where people are coming from with this idea, but it won't hold water when judging right and wrong. Still, I will mention a couple ideas along this line.

My father, an alcoholic-turned-believer-then-pastor/preacher, would not eat celery. It was a religious precedent. He did not tell others not to eat celery, and he knew that would be ridiculous. Why did he do it? Because the smell reminded him of the ale to which he was addicted. This idea was "written on his heart"; it was not something that applied to anyone else whom we knew. Was he wrong? No!
That is not a spiritual teaching useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

Quote:
For myself, I will not wear skirts and dresses. Why? Because they feel immodest to me. Should I tell others that they should not wear skirts and dresses because they are immodest? That would be ridiculous. "Written on my heart," yes. By G-d? No. By experience.
Dressing modestly is written in the Bible, not just in your heart.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:58 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Quote:
That is not a spiritual teaching useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
It may be that some people just do not understand what others mean when they speak of something being "written in the heart."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity