U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 PM

10,503 posts, read 5,019,284 times

Advertisements

Why is it when a believer quotes the bible he is accused of worshipping the Bible?

I had that told to me today. I just don't understand such accusations.

I mean, if we are talking about the Bible, why would I quote Car and Driver magazine?

Scientists who try to prove black holes, are they accused of worshipping black holes by talking about them?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 06:51 PM

6,965 posts, read 16,427,306 times
It's because too many treat the bible and what is written there as important as a god. They worship it's printed word. They don't stop and think for themselves what God might really mean.

The Bible is used as a substitute for a god. It's what's in your heart that counts. You shouldn't have to quote scripture to prove that you are a good, caring person that loves God.

Just because you know where certain scriptures are, does not mean that you understand them.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:06 PM

But Padgett David stored up the word of God in his heart. He meditated on it day and night.

God told them to have no gods. So was David worshiping the Bible?

Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 PM

5,356 posts, read 3,415,157 times
Christians have two ways to look at the bible. It is either thought of as a description of the divine, or it is considered divinity in-and-of itself.

In the former, one may acknowledge that the bible is a tool to understand God, but still believe it is a man-made book subject to the errors men can make. In this view, the context of how and when it was written is relevant, as well as acknowledging it may not be error free in some of the details. The big picture is what is important in this view, not every independent sentence.

In the later view, one holds that the bible is completely true, either literally or metaphorically, sentence for sentence. It's not just a tool to understand God, it is divine in itself. It miraculously contains none of the errors one might expect from a book written thousands of years ago by people who had an incomplete understanding of the world. The bible, in this view, doesn't just describe what is holy, the bible becomes holy.

If one interprets the bible with reason, it is not an idol. But if one sacrifices reason to the words in the bible, the bible is an idol - a physical representation of something that is divine.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Boxcar, that does not logically follow that if someone believes the Bible to be true that such a person is therefore making an idol of their Bible.

A Democrat might believe that every word that rolls off Mr. Obama's lips is the whole truth but they don't make an idol or worship him.

It also does not logically follow that if one uses the Bible instead of reason that therefore the bible is their idol. All it actually proves is they might be mistaken as to how they are using their Bible.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 PM

5,356 posts, read 3,415,157 times
But I think we would agree that most books written several hundred years ago would normally include myths, errors, and other imperfections. This is especially true if part of the book was telling stories about events that were passed down orally for many generations, before the stories were ever written down.

Common reasoning would tell you that there would be inaccuracies and myths included in the book, even if the authors thought the stories were real.

That would be the view of someone who believed the bible to be a book about God, or God's nature.

What reason would one have to claim that the above normal errors don't occur in the bible? It's because they believe the bible is divine, not just a product of the divine, but infallible itself.

There is a difference between saying that one believes the word of God is true, versus saying every word in the bible is the word of God. That leap is the difference between seeing the bible as a book related to God, versus a divine object itself. And a divine object representing a God is an idol, in the common meaning of the word.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 PM

Boxcar Overkill makes some very good points.

You mention referring to the Car and Driver Magizine. Now, I am sure that you would never say that the magizine was always exaclty correct in everthing it said. But the people that treat the bible as an idol instead of a book, have no problem with doing exactly that. It's in the Bible, therefore it is true. No mistakes, exactly right. Always.

It's the same as saying that Ford is always better than Chysler. Always. American made cars are always better than foreign make. Always.

It would be like since magazine says that __________ is the best car, that there is no room for discussion.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 PM

6,899 posts, read 2,780,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
But I think we would agree that most books written several hundred years ago would normally include myths, errors, and other imperfections. This is especially true if part of the book was telling stories about events that were passed down orally for many generations, before the stories were ever written down.

Common reasoning would tell you that there would be inaccuracies and myths included in the book, even if the authors thought the stories were real.

That would be the view of someone who believed the bible to be a book about God, or God's nature.

What reason would one have to claim that the above normal errors don't occur in the bible? It's because they believe the bible is divine, not just a product of the divine, but infallible itself.

There is a difference between saying that one believes the word of God is true, versus saying every word in the bible is the word of God. That leap is the difference between seeing the bible as a book related to God, versus a divine object itself. And a divine object representing a God is an idol, in the common meaning of the word.
Then how is it of any use to us?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Then how is it of any use to us?
It's a very good guide as a way to live, to treat your fellow man, and just generally remind you that you should make the best of what you have been blessed with.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:26 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,804,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Why is it when a believer quotes the bible he is accused of worshipping the Bible?

I had that told to me today. I just don't understand such accusations.

I mean, if we are talking about the Bible, why would I quote Car and Driver magazine?

Scientists who try to prove black holes, are they accused of worshipping black holes by talking about them?
Don't let it get to you. A believer should quote the Bible, it is the Word of God. These people do not have a understanding of God's Word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity