U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 01:07 PM

5,170 posts, read 3,729,458 times

Advertisements

I am pretty sure that I read the following opinion on this forum. I am hoping that the person who made the statement I reference will clarify for me in the spirit of discussion for the purpose of understanding.

In response to the argument that the biblical reporting of the dimensions of the Ark (not enough room for all species, let alone the food to feed them), the respondent stated (IIRC) that Noah collected only two of each genre. That is, instead of collecting two of each and every canine species, Noah collected a single species (for example, two Rottweilers), and that all canine species today are descended from that pair.

So two canines, two blue jays, two pumas, two praying mantises, and all canine species from wolf to toy poodles, all cats from lions to kitty cats, all equines, etc etc etc are descended from a single original pair.

I have a follow up if and when someone can reply with relevant belief.

Thanks.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 PM

3,066 posts, read 2,938,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I am pretty sure that I read the following opinion on this forum. I am hoping that the person who made the statement I reference will clarify for me in the spirit of discussion for the purpose of understanding.

In response to the argument that the biblical reporting of the dimensions of the Ark (not enough room for all species, let alone the food to feed them), the respondent stated (IIRC) that Noah collected only two of each genre. That is, instead of collecting two of each and every canine species, Noah collected a single species (for example, two Rottweilers), and that all canine species today are descended from that pair.

So two canines, two blue jays, two pumas, two praying mantises, and all canine species from wolf to toy poodles, all cats from lions to kitty cats, all equines, etc etc etc are descended from a single original pair.

I have a follow up if and when someone can reply with relevant belief.

Thanks.
You are dealing with an allegory, not a historical event that happened as described. You are demanding too much of the story,

Incidentally, it's the Hebrew version of a much older story, the Epic of Gilgameth. Read on-line.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:25 PM

5,170 posts, read 3,729,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
You are dealing with an allegory, not a historical event that happened as described. You are demanding too much of the story,

Incidentally, it's the Hebrew version of a much older story, the Epic of Gilgameth. Read on-line.
Well, being familiar with the Gilgamesh legend, I get what you are saying. And what you are saying is irrelevant to the argument I frame.

I am not demanding anything other than a response from someone or two or more who claim what I present in my own argument.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:27 PM

8,248 posts, read 10,010,784 times
Contrary to popular assumption, the Bible does not say that only two of every animal was taken into the ark. Instead, it says that they entered the ark two-by-two. There are actually many species of animals for which seven pairs were included:

Gen. 7:2-3
2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

Further, significant studies have shown that based on the size and construction of the ark (described in the Bible), it was plenty large enough for all of the animals ... and their food. Below is a quote from one source:

"Science has classified one million different species of animals. With seven of every clean and two of every other kind, it would seem we need space for at least 2,500,000 animals on the ark. …. BUT, the ark was no ‘toy boat!’ It was a gigantic barge with a volume of 1,396,000 cubic feet (assuming one cubit equals 17.5 inches). The ark had a carrying capacity equal to that of 522 standard stock cars. (1) Regarding the multitude of animals: most of the list of a million are worms, insects, one-cell animals and sea creatures who would have no need to be on the ark. In fact, "there was need for no more than 35,000 individual vertebrate animals on the ark." (2) Chipmunk to elephant, let us assume the average size of an animal on the ark to be a sheep. Currently the railroad can fit 120 sheep on a stock car. Doing some fast figuring, the ark needed only to carry 292 stock cars worth of animals. Plenty of room for Noah, his family and extra hay.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 PM

13,463 posts, read 21,210,344 times
Moderator cut: in closing

Folks there are a large number of "Ark" "Noah" and everything imaginable about that subject..Please search for one to continue to post in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity