U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2012, 04:31 AM

353 posts, read 359,883 times
Default Do Protestants/Catholics see each other as Christian?

I'm fairly sure most Protestants and Catholics agree that religions like Mormonism and Jehovah's Witness are not considered Christian religions, even though both use the Bible as a holy text, but do most Protestants and Catholics agree that each other can be considered Christian?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 05:49 AM

4,778 posts, read 2,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
I'm fairly sure most Protestants and Catholics agree that religions like Mormonism and Jehovah's Witness are not considered Christian religions, even though both use the Bible as a holy text, but do most Protestants and Catholics agree that each other can be considered Christian?

it would be exceedingly rare for a catholic to regard a protestant as not being a christian , it is much more common for protestants to view catholics as not being christian

im now athiest but was a practiscing catholic untill i was twenty one , i view both as christian

Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 AM

16,449 posts, read 10,020,060 times
I believe that anyone who does what the Bible says to do for salvation will be saved, regardless of what denomination they consider themselves to be. Jesus's promises are trustworthy and true. Do what He says to do for salvation and you will be saved. Don't do it and you won't.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:54 AM

14,755 posts, read 14,166,627 times
Quote:
YES. To everything you post, more or less.
Protestants and Catholics don't view LDS and JW folks as Christians, Moderator cut: delete Protestants and Catholics typically view each other as Christians, with the only exceptions being somefundamentalists who that claim some of us have NOT been born-again. I guess baptism doesn't count.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-15-2012 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: politics are off topic

Old 05-15-2012, 07:47 AM

6,060 posts, read 4,869,607 times
I know my pastor really does not feel Catholics are true Christians. However, I have to agree with Bideshi... a Christian is someone who has faith in Jesus. No denomination of church has an exclusive on having faith in our Lord.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 AM

4,778 posts, read 2,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I know my pastor really does not feel Catholics are true Christians. However, I have to agree with Bideshi... a Christian is someone who has faith in Jesus. No denomination of church has an exclusive on having faith in our Lord.

probabley makes him feel important making theese proclamations from a great height , know the type

Old 05-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Status: " Attacks only in self defense is more than 1 person's right" (set 9 days ago)

9,354 posts, read 4,760,089 times
Quote:
I'm fairly sure most Protestants and Catholics agree that religions like Mormonism and Jehovah's Witness are not considered Christian religions, even though both use the Bible as a holy text,

They both do not use the same KJV Bible as the Protestants.
  • Mormonism and Jehovah's Witness have their own versions
    • Joseph Smith's Translation of the Bible (JST)
      • ** I had the privilege of having two Mormons elders in my house last week ... and they used the JST which is different than the 1611 KJV
    • Jehovah's Witnesses' has New World Translation (NWT)
And Catholics do not use the same KJV Bible as the Protestants.
  • Catholicism includes the Apocrypha as scriptures whereas the protestants do not have the Apocrypha
Both however agree that Mormonism and Jehovah's Witness are not considered Christian religions

Quote:
but do most Protestants and Catholics agree that each other can be considered Christian?

Offically per decree by RCC:
  • that those who reject the papacy are not
    • The official declaration of papal infallibility was decreed by Vatican I in 1870. In the 1960s, papal authority was reaffirmed by Vatican II, which declared:

Religious submission of will and mind must be shown in a special way to the authentic teaching of the Roman Pontiff even when he is not speaking ex cathedra [that is, in a formal doctrinal decree] (Vatican II, p. 48)
The Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ and as pastor of the entire church, has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered (Par. 882).

The Supreme Pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when, as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful--who confirms his brethren in the faith--he proclaims by a definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith or morals (Par. 891).

• that those who don't belong to the RCC are not
    • (search Dodknox posts and threads for examples)

Last edited by twin.spin; 05-15-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM

1,435 posts, read 626,174 times
Quote:
Any sect or denomination that adheres to the Apostle's Creed, even if they don't use the actual Creed in their Church, are Christian to me. And really, it is only a few fringe extemist "christian" sects that don't believe Catholicism is christian. As to whether non-Catholics are or will be "saved"....that is up to God.

The Apostle's Creed:

[LEFT]
Quote:
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic [some texts substitute the word "christian" here] Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.
Amen.

Read more: http://www/devotionals/prayers/creed2.htm
[/LEFT]

Old 05-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Status: " Attacks only in self defense is more than 1 person's right" (set 9 days ago)

9,354 posts, read 4,760,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
In the strickest sense, your pastor would be correct. Catholicism still maintains today the same issues that was present at the reformation:
1) The official declaration of papal infallibility... decreed by Vatican I in 1870, reaffirmed by Vatican II in the 1960s

2) The Council of Trent cursed the biblical doctrine of salvation by grace alone through faith alone. It declared:
"If anyone says that justifying faith is nothing else than trust in divine mercy, which remits sins for Christ's sake, or that it is by trust alone by which we are justified, let him be damned [anathema] (Canon XII).
3) Catholic teaching still gives a share in the work of salvation to Mary.. concerning her role in salvation the RCC catechism says:
Espousing the divine will for salvation wholeheartedly, without a single sin to restrain her, she gave herself entirely to the person and work of her Son; she did so in order to serve the mystery of redemption with him and dependent on him, by God's grace.
As St. Irenaeus says, "Being obedient she became the cause of salvation for herself and the whole human race" (Par. 494).

4) Traditional Catholic doctrines such as granting equal authority to Scripture and tradition, purgatory, and the sacrifice of the mass.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,318,864 times
Quote:
There isn't one answer to this. Nowadays, most Catholics would consider Protestants Christian and often refer to Catholics as "Catholics" and Protestants as "Christians." Many Protestants consider Catholics to be Christians, but many do not consider them to be Christians. Typically, the more fundamental the Protestant, the less likely he is to consider a Catholic a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity