U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,107,186 times

Advertisements

Luke 14:27-33
"And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple."

What exactly is Jesus saying here?

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,510,024 times
You may know the part of a traditional wedding vow about "forsaking all others"? When you become a Christian you become the bride of Christ, and it is required that you worship no other God but God. Money is some people's god for example. You have to give up your worship of wordly things and follow Jesus.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:26 AM

6,824 posts, read 4,865,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
"And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple."

Blessings,
brian
Count the cost. Being a disciple is the high calling of our life. The cost is worldly rejection, forbearing world pleasures, and even martyrdom for many. The reward is something we can not fathom. The Scriptures talk about being "coheirs" with Christ. Christ is King of the Universe, and some believers are going to be heirs with him? >> That is pretty heavy truth. This life is a test. A test of our faithfulness.

I do not believe this passage is talking the path of salvation from perdition - as this would contradict many other passages. Discipleship than must be different than being saved. It requires the works of the believer. Salvation is through accepting Christ's work for us (Romans 4,5). God does not share his glory with another. Those that are faithful 'overcomers' will be rewarded abundantly.

God wants to be one on the list of one. He does not want to be one on a list of ten. We are to prioritize him above all else - even family.

So no one has to "think hard before becoming a Christian" because eternal life is a free gift (ephesians 2:8-10)(Romans 4,5) freely given to those that come to God with a repentant heart through Jesus Christ believing on him. All that believe "have passed from death unto life" as the Lord puts it.

It's a slam dunk deal!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:41 AM

26,195 posts, read 14,086,044 times
Being a Christian and a disciple of Christ are two different things.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 PM

30,114 posts, read 19,958,111 times
Quote:

Blessings,
brian
As far as I'm concerned Brian the cross is not for bearing but for putting to death our old way of thinking.(His yoke is easy and burden Light)We have for far to long beaten up ourselves and others with it for our short comings,and made ourselves most miserable for it(although most will not admit it,out of pride). When I say put to death, I mean the carnal(death) way of thinking...... Such as what is sin what is not sin,who goes to Hell and who doesn't, remaining under condemnation of sin, all such thinking is carnal and the reason we live defeated(death) lives, and we will never go the distance thinking this way. True Christianity is about Life not death. So the cost to consider, is the cost of letting go of our old way of thinking.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,425,536 times
Quote:

Blessings,
brian
Brian, the above is about being a disciple of Christ for the Circumcision, not a believer of the nations. Under Paul's evangel God counted the cost and met it. We just enter into it by faith.
Those of the Circumcision did indeed have to count the cost.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 PM

17,968 posts, read 12,425,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
righto! bingo!

Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM

5,170 posts, read 3,725,564 times
Quote:
Care to elaborate?

Sincerely......

Old 05-17-2012, 03:52 PM

26,195 posts, read 14,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Care to elaborate?

Sincerely......
Being a Christian (saved) is about Christ dwelling in us through the possession of the Holy Spirit. That comes through believing the death, burial & resurrection of Christ. That's a one time event. The Spirit is sent to us from heaven upon faith in Christ.

Becoming a disciple comes over time after growing in Christ. As the Luke passage says - you build a foundation, there is an intent or a cognizant will to be a disciple. You take the time to sit and learn and then in time you go into service for the Lord.

Think of how Christ represented the Father. What the Father said, Jesus did. We won't be perfect, but one who strives to be a disciple should be close to how Jesus followed the Father.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:21 PM

6,824 posts, read 4,865,496 times
Quote:
Being a Christian (saved) is about Christ dwelling in us through the possession of the Holy Spirit. That comes through believing the death, burial & resurrection of Christ. That's a one time event. The Spirit is sent to us from heaven upon faith in Christ.

Becoming a disciple comes over time after growing in Christ. As the Luke passage says - you build a foundation, there is an intent or a cognizant will to be a disciple. You take the time to sit and learn and then in time you go into service for the Lord.

Think of how Christ represented the Father. What the Father said, Jesus did. We won't be perfect, but one who strives to be a disciple should be close to how Jesus followed the Father.
Amen!

Great explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or