Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
This may get moved to the book section, but I thought it would actually have more visibility among Christians over here so...

Does anybody have any Christian fiction authors who they particularly enjoy? I read an author named Karen Kingsbury a lot. Love her Christian fiction and recommend it for all you Christian ladies out there who like to read. But I've currently read everything she's written Any recommendations? Or it wouldn't even have to be "Christian" fiction per se, if it's "clean" enough. (I will say I haven't personally found any that was.)
nobody mentioned CS Lewis
wow

Last edited by Hoosier; 09-20-2007 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: please do not include signature lines. They are not allowed on City-Data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 03:47 PM

292 posts, read 934,054 times
Post Good Christian Fiction

I also like the Karen Kingsbury series. I haven't read them all YET. I just discovered her last winter. Just starting back up on "extra curricular" reading again with the weather change. I only read extra in the evenings before bed. There is a series I loved but can't remember the author. I will find out and tell you.
For years I refused to read ANY fiction. Now know that I'm a huge book lover and love!!! to read. I LOVE books!!! After being born again I set aside the romance novels. I think I got kind of religious though as in not reading anything but the bible. Probably more though that the seasons change as you walk in the Lord!
God bless you everyone!!!!
Jean

Old 09-20-2007, 04:49 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Quote:
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I will check them out. I have read a good number of the Left Behind Series and liked them. Roma, if you liked Glorious Appearing, you really should read the first 2 books in the series. I think you'd enjoy it even if you are not a reader.
Thanks Kaykay, I will read them then.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:11 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Blackstock, Terri
Henderson, Dee
Karon, Jan
Kingsbury, Karen
Lacy, Al
LaHaye, Tim
Lewis, Beverly
Morris, Gilbert
Oke, Janette
Peart, Jane
Pella, Judith
Peretti, Frank
Peterson, Tracie
Phillips, Michael
Rivers, Francine
Stokes, Penelope
Whitlow, Robert
Wick, Lori

This is a list from my local library "Readers Corner."
You can do a google search and come up with lots of library lists.
Be sure to put "Christian Fiction" in quotation marks or you come up with a bunch of "stuff."
MGPL Webrary® - Christian Fiction List:
Found another really good list.
Christian Fiction Authors

Last edited by NCN; 09-20-2007 at 05:23 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 05:19 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
My wife enjoys Terri Blackstock... mystery, suspense, drama ... very good read according to her, and that's saying a lot because she reads ALL THE TIME!!

As far as the Left Behind series, I've read them ALL! I loved them. I just wish I didn't read them so quickly. It was like I couldn't put them down. Oh, the one after Glorious Appearing was called Kingdom Come and tells about the millenial kingdom of Christ and follows the characters (who make it ) during this time. I also read the three "pre-quills" to the series that tell you how Nicolea is "conceived" and the backgrounds of some of the main characters.

I'm also reading the series "Babalyon Rising" by Tim LaHaye. It's also end times related, but more contemporary than "Left Behind". Only got to book 4... book 5 isn't out yet. Very good, more action packed.

And Tim LaHaye's wife has a "Seasons In Time" (?) 4 book series my wife devoured and loved. It follows a group of 4 couples/neighbors. Very good read also.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
And Tim LaHaye's wife has a "Seasons In Time" (?) 4 book series my wife devoured and loved. It follows a group of 4 couples/neighbors. Very good read also.
Yes, I've read those too. I believe her name is Beverly LaHaye, and she co-authored them with Terri Blackstock. They are good, but the last one made me cry.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I just read Mary Dora Russell's couplet, "Sparrow" and "Children of God." Russell is a bright, articulate writer and covers the bases: religion, anthropology, and Jesuit beliefs in a rather masterful way -- thru science fiction.

I highly recommend the two books for all christians and non-christians alike.

Quote:
This may get moved to the book section, but I thought it would actually have more visibility among Christians over here so...

Does anybody have any Christian fiction authors who they particularly enjoy? I read an author named Karen Kingsbury a lot. Love her Christian fiction and recommend it for all you Christian ladies out there who like to read. But I've currently read everything she's written Any recommendations? Or it wouldn't even have to be "Christian" fiction per se, if it's "clean" enough. (I will say I haven't personally found any that was.)

Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
It is part of the "Left Behind" series but I don't know if it's the last of them. I didn't read the other books in the series, just this one. But I loved it and I would read more, it's just that I'm not a book reader in general (I wish I was).
I read this book in one day. I couldn't put it down, I had to know what was going to happen next. My husband was shocked and so was I because I never read but this book I just couldn't put down.
The whole Left Behind Series can be found on Cd as well, done in a threatrical drama setting. This means you can hear the sounds, which put you right in the action, I was hooked and went around with my walkman so much my ears became sore. I loved these very much.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:18 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Thanks for all the great suggestions and input! Here in this area we have plenty of places and great selection, but it's nice to kinda know what direction to go in.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:22 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Yes, I've read those too. I believe her name is Beverly LaHaye, and she co-authored them with Terri Blackstock. They are good, but the last one made me cry.
Yes, I have read them and liked them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity