Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 03:42 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,160,264 times

Advertisements

Princely, I asked you this earlier,

Quote:
Hi, do you believe that in Adam all die, that all are subject to sin and death? Do you believe that Jesus died for all men and do you believe that people can live to be full grown adults without ever sinning?
God bless and peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 04:44 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
The testimony of the believer in the glorious gospel is,that he see's the best in God, himself and his neighbor.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi mishipmate,

Looks like our references on this differ.

1 Cor. 15: 20 But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep. 21 For since by a man came death, by a man also came the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in [h]Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in his own order: Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ’s at His coming, 24 then comes the end, when He hands over the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished all rule and all authority and power. 25 For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. 26 The last enemy that will be abolished is death. 27 For He has put all things in subjection under His feet. But when He says, “ All things are put in subjection,” it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him. 28 When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.

*made alive= zoopoieo- primarily used in the NT of raising the dead to life, generally used in reference to salvation answering to the Pauline connection of righteousness and life (Key Word Study Bible)

Cross references with the same verb which refer to more than a physical resurrection:

John 6: 63 It is the Spirit who gives *life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

1 Cor. 15: 45 So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living soul.” The last Adam became a * life-giving spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives* life

Galatians 3: 21 Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God ? May it never be! For if a law had been given which was able to impart * life, then righteousness would indeed have been based on law

1 Peter 3: 18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but *made alive in the spirit

Death (in all aspects) itself is to be abolished, made of no effect and this will happen when all are given life. I agree that many will experience a resurrection of damnation. But this is not the final condition of these individuals. It is a temporary condition confined to the ages.

When Adam disobeyed, sin and death entered the creation and has affected/infected all. Jesus deals with both sin and death and reverses what happened when Adam disobeyed. All will be made alive both physically and spiritually in the end.

resurrection- anastasis (a rising up) is not the same as zoopoieo

God bless and peace.
Where in this defintion is the word salvation mentioned?

Our LibraryLexiconsNew Testament Greek LexiconNew Testament Greek Lexicon - New American StandardZoopoieo
Zoopoieo

The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon Strong's Number: 2227 Original WordWord Originzoopoieofrom the same as (2226) and (4160)Transliterated WordTDNT EntryZoopoieo2:874,290Phonetic SpellingParts of Speechdzo-op-oy-eh'-o Verb Definition
  1. to produce alive, begat or bear living young
  2. to cause to live, make alive, give life
    1. by spiritual power to arouse and invigorate
    2. to restore to life
    3. to give increase of life: thus of physical life
    4. of the spirit, quickening as respects the spirit, endued with new and greater powers of life
  3. metaph., of seeds quickened into life, i.e. germinating, springing up, growing
NAS Word Usage - Total: 11come to life 1, give life 1, gives...life 1, gives life 4, impart life 1, life-giving 1, made alive 2 NAS Verse Count John2Romans21 Corinthians32 Corinthians1Galatians11 Peter1Total10Greek lexicon based on Thayer's and Smith's Bible Dictionary plus others; this is keyed to the large Kittel and the "Theological Dictionary of the New Testament." These files are public domain.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:30 PM

461 posts, read 480,760 times
Quote:
Princely, I asked you this earlier,

Quote:
Hi, do you believe that in Adam all die, that all are subject to sin and death? Do you believe that Jesus died for all men and do you believe that people can live to be full grown adults without ever sinning?

God bless and peace.
To your first question, yes. To your second question, no. It is more complicated than that. To the third no, but those are questions that are very complicated to those who do not serve the Lord and do what is right.

Like scripture says; "It is impossible for man to be saved but everything is possible for God." Now people think that God does it for them but in truth one must become god to be saved. Like scripture says; I said you are gods, sons of the most high."

Notice it says Sons, plural.
Now you may think I blaspheme but here is what Jesus said ;" The Jews answered Him, saying, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God." 34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, "You are gods" '? 35 If He called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken), 36 do you say of Him whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world, 'You are blaspheming,' because I said, 'I am the Son of God'

Notice how Jesus said sanctified and sent into the world. Well that is exactly what Jesus did with His true followers. He said this;

I gave them your word, and the world hated them, because they do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world.
I do not ask that you take them out of the world but that you keep them from the evil one.
They do not belong to the world any more than I belong to the world.
Sanctify them in the truth. Your word is truth.
As you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world.
And I sanctify myself for them, so that they also may be sanctified in truth.

So in order to be saved one must be sanctified in the truth and spread the same words of truth that the son of man did so as to become god little g or sons of the most high. This is the narrow gate, hard to find, hard to enter. I have described the way, even given an example, but "the son of man comes eating and drinking and you say he is an alcoholic and a glutton'.LK 7:34

(JN 5:30)I do nothing on my own,I judge as I hear and my judgment is just because I am not seeking my own will but the will of the Lord who sent me. I do not say I am Jesus, I just do what He commanded me.

The world must know that I love the Lord and do as He commanded me.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:33 PM

Hi, are you saying that you do not believe that Jesus died for all men? God bless and peace.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:36 PM

Hi mshipmate, salvation is mentioned in the reference that I have, (Key Word Study Bible). Please check the cross references and you will see that this word means more than just the physical resurrection.

made alive= zoopoieo- primarily used in the NT of raising the dead to life, generally used in reference to salvation answering to the Pauline connection of righteousness and life (Key Word Study Bible)

References:

John 6: 63 It is the Spirit who gives *life (zoopoieo); the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

1 Cor. 15: 45 So also it is written, “The first man, Adam, became a living soul.” The last Adam became a * life
(zoopoieo)-giving spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:6 who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives* life (zoopoieo)

Galatians 3: 21 Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God ? May it never be! For if a law had been given which was able to impart * life (zoopoieo), thenrighteousness would indeed have been based on law

Even if you believe that this only refers to physical life, the resurrection only, ultimately death will no longer exist. It is described as the last enemy. Jesus came to abolish death and this means that no one will remain in death for all of eternity. Jesus undoes what happened when Adam sinned and death entered the creation. Jesus has been made heir of all. (Hebrews 1) God bless and peace.

God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 05-20-2012 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: added more

Old 05-20-2012, 06:06 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Galations 4:22 is not a Genesis passage that you quoted. Galations 4:22 is part of a larger in depth explanation of whom God views as a "child a Abraham".

To see the context that Paul was expanding on, read Jesus' confrontation with the Jews. Jesus said though the Jews were a "children of Abraham" via blood line, that isn't how God determines who are.

As Paul spells it out, heaven is only for those whom trust by faith, not by observing the law. To attempt to do so via the law, then you're a slave who is under a curse.

That's the context.
You are talking about the context of Galatians which I agree with what you wrote about that. But that has nothing to do with my point.

My point again is...
1. Paul quotes the OT in the NT ("For it is written, that Abraham had two sons..." Gal 4:22)
2. Paul makes an allegorical interpretation of this OT scripture not by the "context, context, context" but by the Spirit of Christ in him.
3. Paul expected others to have gotten the some understanding ("do ye not hear the law? For it is written..." Gal 4:21,22)
4. Paul does not use the context of the OT passages arrive at this interpretation. Nor does he use the context to prove that his allegorical interpretation is correct. He simply asserts that it is an allegory, and expects others to have "heard" it the same way. Nothing in the context of those OT passages remotely hints at an allegorical interpretation. It's talking about actual historical events.
5. Paul interpreted the OT in a way that is not given or dictated by the context of the OT scriptures he quotes. If anyone did something similar today with any OT passage, you would call that "taking a passage out of context".

Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 PM

461 posts, read 480,760 times
Quote:
Hi, are you saying that you do not believe that Jesus died for all men? God bless and peace.
I am saying the Son laid down His life for His sheep.

JN 10:11)" I am the good shepherd, the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep."

Jesus died on the cross only to rise from the dead which was an example of what happens to those who follow His lead. His death on the cross in no way frees anyone from sin.

At the last supper when Jesus said take this and eat it all of you ,He was talking about the word of the Lord. Same with the wine. The truth ,who the son of man is has no body or blood, he is the word of God. How can he have any body or blood. That is why the son of man says "It is the spirit that gives life the flesh is useless, the words I spoke to you are spirit and life.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 PM

Princely, so you do not believe that Jesus died for all men? Do you not believe that God sent Jesus to be the Savior of the world and what does 1 John 2: 2 mean to you? God bless and peace.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:38 PM

Some believe that those who are lost do not belong to Jesus. But God has given Him all things because He has been made heir of all things. If you do not believe this, check out Hebrews 1:2. When someone inherits something, he or she possesses it, owns it, so really all belong to the Lord Jesus Christ. God gave Him all things. God bless and peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity