Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hopefully not. But I wouldn't be blind to the possibility. We bailed on our children's parochial school when the Dominican sisters, in accordance with Ratzinger's edict, began teaching all the prayers in Latin.
What's wrong with Latin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
The Catholic Church will continue to move forward with or without Rome, the Church is the body of believers.
You need a valid successor to an Apostle to be a church. So if you don't like the valid successor to Peter at the Vatican, then I suggest joining a church led by the valid successor to James (Jerusalem) or Andrew (Istanbul), or, ironically, Peter again, but at Antioch, or any one of the Eastern Orthodox Churches. We are a Catholic AND Apostolic Church, as the Nicene Creed states, not a Catholic OR Apostolic Church. We are not like the protestants: "Just the Bible and me!" We are not individualists. We are not like Luther and the other "Reformers" who taught that each person could interpret Scripture in their own way....if we were so, then we wouldn't be Catholic anymore....if you agree with them, then join them....because that's not Catholic.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
The Catholic Church will continue to move forward with or without Rome, the Church is the body of believers.
That is like saying christianity will continue to move forward with or without Christ. I'm guessing you don't believe that Peter was chosen by Jesus to be the chief apostle, or to be or any type of leader. And I'm guessing you don't believe in Apostolic succession. If that is so, then I have no idea what makes you Catholic. "I believe in One, Catholic AND APOSTOLIC church."

Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
We are not like the protestants: "Just the Bible and me!" .
And we are not just Rome/church laws and me, we are followers of Christ!

Old 05-26-2012, 11:46 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
The bold is the ONLY distinguishing characteristic of Christians . . . all else is human hubris and vanity.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hopefully not. But I wouldn't be blind to the possibility. We bailed on our children's parochial school when the Dominican sisters, in accordance with Ratzinger's edict, began teaching all the prayers in Latin.
Wow, my kids never had a chance to learn their prayers in Latin. I would loved that sort of tradition. Why are you so much against Latin? Are you a Protestant?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
So you do reject Apostolic succession? And that part of the Creed?

So why not just become a protestant, you sound like one.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223
Wow, my kids never had a chance to learn their prayers in Latin. I would loved that sort of tradition. Why are you so much against Latin? Are you a Protestant?
It goes back to historic anti-Catholic bigotry, the old fear and cliche that The Church doesn't want the laity to understand Scripture and such, (because if they did, they would stop being Catholic!!), so they do things in Latin, a language that most lay people, especially by the Middle Ages, didn't speak anymore. Of course this whole premise is faulty as one can always learn Latin and is indeed encouraged to by The Church and that most missals, at least in english-speaking countries, have an english translation. Sadly, even a few Catholics have adopted or were brainwashed by anti-Catholics to believe this.

Others are just like children; they rebel just for the sake of rebeling. To them there is no authority other than themselves (this is a protestant mind set that has sadly seeped into some Catholics') and so reject any and all directives from a Bishop or the Vatican. If they want to say prayers in whatever language they want, then NO ONE has the authority to tell thenm otherwise, so they think.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:44 PM

Julian658:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223
This may also be a form of bigotry in general. Hating any language or culture other than you own, like Latin.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:11 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
It goes back to historic anti-Catholic bigotry, the old fear and cliche that The Church doesn't want the laity to understand Scripture and such, (because if they did, they would stop being Catholic!!), so they do things in Latin, a language that most lay people, especially by the Middle Ages, didn't speak anymore. Of course this whole premise is faulty as one can always learn Latin and is indeed encouraged to by The Church and that most missals, at least in english-speaking countries, have an english translation. Sadly, even a few Catholics have adopted or were brainwashed by anti-Catholics to believe this.

Others are just like children; they rebel just for the sake of rebeling. To them there is no authority other than themselves (this is a protestant mind set that has sadly seeped into some Catholics') and so reject any and all directives from a Bishop or the Vatican. If they want to say prayers in whatever language they want, then NO ONE has the authority to tell thenm otherwise, so they think.

I agree with you.

Historically Latin was the lingua franca of Europe. Newton wrote his Principia landmark paper in Latin despite being English. Descartes wrote in Latin too. There is a historical reason as to why the mass was in Latin. I feel bad for these new age Catholics that have no historical background or tradition. Yes, they do look like Protestants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity