Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM

376 posts, read 419,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Conservative Catholics are the only true Catholics. You believe or you belong somewhere else. I am all for quality over quantity. Toss the secular liberal riff-raff overboard!!!! They're just closet protestants, anyway.
Good old witch burnings....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 AM

1,435 posts, read 1,553,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWings View Post
Good old witch burnings....
It's not the Catholic Church that is famous for witch burnings. It were mainly protestants, especially in Salem!!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I am Methodist and my wife catholic. I have never felt unwelcome and quite the opposite when I attend services with her. In fact I am 64 and when I was very young actaully attende d catholic church with friedns and their famlies at time and felt the same then and that was i nthe 50's.So it just individuals on both sides ;IMO.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:23 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,813 times
Many times when I have pointed out most catholics Disgree with the Vatican some are quick to say that it is only American Catholics or European Catholics that disagree with Rome, they claimed that continents like Africa march lock step with Rome well guess what the work of the Holy Spirit is spreading

African theologian questions church

Old 06-09-2012, 03:29 AM

Power of the dying hierarchy is an illusion
The hierarchy is like a dying dragon, breathing fire on those around it as it flails through its final collapse. But don’t worry, she said, it is dying and someday something else will resurrect.

Essay: Power of the dying hierarchy is an illusion | National Catholic Reporter

Old 06-09-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Conservative Catholics are the only true Catholics. You believe or you belong somewhere else. I am all for quality over quantity. Toss the secular liberal riff-raff overboard!!!! They're just closet protestants, anyway.
Why it is not always good to be a Catholic that follows the hierarchy of the Church BLINDLY

Fran Jägerstätter resisted not only the coercion of the Nazis, but the bland reassurances of an Austrian bishop and priests that service in the führer’s army was not a violation of the tenets of Christianity.

No doubt it was the true consevative Catholic that listened to his bishop and priests and fought for Hitler while a liberal riff-raff liberal Catholic like Jägerstätter refused to obey his bishop.

Beatification of Franz Jägerstätter « A Little Bit of Change

Old 06-10-2012, 05:49 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtobehome View Post
folks, christianity is not a democracy. Jesus's church as never been a democracy. Yes, when you see the church do something morally wrong, by all means, question it. But these are individual leaders we're talking about that need to go or change their ways. I am talking about catholics that are pro-choice, pro-contraception, pro-euthanasia, etc. These folks have beliefs that completely contradict the church's teachings. These are the folks i am talking about.

I'm sorry if you disagree with me. But there are certain truths that are irrefutable and folks that don't abide by them should go elsewhere and quit calling themselves catholics. Some things are not negotiable.

Amen!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:18 PM

103 posts, read 210,293 times
One of the Church's biggest problems is that many, perhaps a majority, of its members come first to their political views and then project them on to the Church and Jesus' teachings instead of starting with the Church, supported by scripture and tradition, to form a right conscience and making political decisions only secondary and from those beliefs. The cause/effect situation is too backwards for too many people, thus the Church starts to become indistinguishable from the world around instead of in stark contrast to the world around. And if that stark contrast makes us "conservative" then so be it. If it makes us "liberal" then so be it. For too long we've been more concerned about left and right than right and wrong.

For example in the case of the birth control mandate, all I hear from liberal Catholics is how the Church needs to stop controlling people or some vague thing like that and all I hear from conservatives is how the Obama administration is infringing upon our rights. While I personally come to the same conclusion as the conservatives on this one, I think almost all of us have lost perspective. We should care a whole lot more about whether people actually follow the Church's teachings on contraception than whatever the governments decides insurance has to pay for. I'm sick and tired of dumb qualifiers like, "I'm not saying I agree with the Church's teaching on contraceptives but we ought to have religious freedom in this country..." from Catholics because it just goes to show we care much more about semantic nonsense with loaded words like "freedom" and "liberty" than we do about right and wrong, following Christ.

I'm not saying we can't vote or consider political ideas, after all we still live in 21st Century America. But we have to accept that the Catholic Church really is the one true faith, the teachings of Christ passed down throughout the many generations, unadulterated from the ebbs and flows of political and social thought, and fight not to change or distort the faith but to defend it against the gates of the netherworld to the very best of our God-given talents.

But until we stop fashioning ourselves first as "conservative" Catholics or "liberal" Catholics and start clearly and unambiguously Catholic before all else the schisms and bickering will never end.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:43 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
It would need to be a huge downsizing, I believe the Catholic church is the largest church in the world.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:30 AM

Good interview of Sr. Joan by a Protestant.

"Everybody talks about how the Pope wants a smaller, purer church. Well, they talked about that in the 16th century. And they got it -- they lost half of Europe. Now they are losing Ireland, Austria, the American church is teetering. You have people who love their faith but cannot support these acts by the institution."

Paul Brandeis Raushenbush: In Praise Of Courageous Nuns Facing The Vatican Crackdown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity